• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wa Mart policy - Kicked out of Montgomery store (Atlanta Highway)

SFCRetired

I thought we were pretty clear with Wal Mart until tonight. I was confronted by an assistant manager and three of the most thuggish-looking individuals I've seen in a long time. The manager asked me if I was a cop and, when I replied in the negative, informed me in the snottiest manner possible that they did not allow any firearms in their stores.

Has Wal Mart changed their policy? I've sent an email to corporate and tomorrow I will try to talk to a manager.

This is the first time I've been told to leave a Wal Mart. I didn't mind being told to leave as much as I minded her snotty manner and the three thugs (if I called them what want to, I'd be banned), apparently some kind of loss prevention, that were with her.

I won't go back into that store until I get a definitive answer from either corporate or from a manager at that store.

Coded-Dude

sounds like they are making their own policies. look forward the day when you walk back in carrying your gun and the official letter from corporate.

eye95

The manager should have called corporate. The manager at Target wanted to trespass me, but he called corporate, and they told him not to.

So, you should call corporate. I will too.

On edit: Local number: 334-271-0263. Manager on duty (an assistant manager) is Debbie. She won't help, but calling her will help make the point.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

The manager should have called corporate. The manager at Target wanted to trespass me, but he called corporate, and they told him not to.

So, you should call corporate. I will too.

On edit: Local number: 334-271-0263. Manager on duty (an assistant manager) is Debbie. She won't help, but calling her will help make the point.

You're right she won't help; she's the one with the attitude problem. I almost lapsed into my evil Platoon Sergeant persona.

I'm going to talk to the manager there in the morning. I've already sent an email to corporate and I will also call them tomorrow.

The least I expect is an apology from her.

zack991

What's funny is they let ghetto scum in there with their pants around their ankles but they see me as a threat with a weapon on my hip, that in most cases scares off those punks. I find it disgusting they allow ghetto scum in there showing their rear ends in front of my family and they refuse to kick them out of the store.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Got an email back from corporate.

>>Thank you for your message.

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. In regards to your inquiry on being able to carry firearms in Wal-mart stores, there is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

o As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

For any other questions or concerns, please contact your local store and speak with a member of management. To find the phone number for your local Walmart store, please visit the www.walmart.com website and click on _Store Finder_ at the bottom of the page.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care<<

We'll see how it goes tomorrow when I call the store manager and see what he/she has to say.

What angered me more than anything was the way this individual talked to me in front of my wife. That was just plain disrespectful.

ecocks

Sounds like time for you and a dozen or so of your buddies to drop by, split up and shop when Debbie is on duty.

I particularly recommend loading shopping carts with freezer items during the course of the demonstration in case she repeats her performance.

eye95

There are some old threads on OCDO that have the current memo from Wal-Mart stating their policy. Unfortunately, they are pre-conversion, so all my links to them don't work. Also, I am having trouble finding them using the search feature. (Do you have any idea how many times Wal-Mart is mentioned here?)

So, anyone got links to those threads?

SFCRetired

Sounds like time for you and a dozen or so of your buddies to drop by, split up and shop when Debbie is on duty.

I particularly recommend loading shopping carts with freezer items during the course of the demonstration in case she repeats her performance.

It would be a sweet revenge, but I also suspect that the police would be called and I, and whoever is with me, would be given a trespass warning. That is not what I want and would give the open carry movement a black eye locally.

I want this Debbie to understand Walmart policy and I want an apology from her for speaking to me disrespectfully in front of my wife. I also want to know who the two goons were.

zack991

Did this with friends at our wal-mart here in Warren but with a twist. We called the office of the store owner and faxed in a formal complaint with the manger who kicked us out. To sweeten the deal we sent several different copies of the receipt of all the money they lost by all of us shopping at the smaller mom and pop stores. All because this manager was extremely rude and felt the need to act on her own its one thing to tell them you will spend money else where but show them hurts them more.

We all sent different faxes/complaints with the receipts and it totaled around 3 grand between all of us and needless to say the manager was not working there for very long afterword. It also helps to include links to sites showing people refuse to now shop there and to have them send copy's of their receipts as well.

Last edited:

GWbiker

OP's problem revolves around store managers like this Debbie. A female clueless about state gun laws and on a power trip when ever she can trump a man.

A letter from Walmart corporate on store policy following state gun law might put her in her place.

Kindly keep us informed.

paramedic70002

Got an email back from corporate.

>>Thank you for your message.

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. In regards to your inquiry on being able to carry firearms in Wal-mart stores, there is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

o As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

For any other questions or concerns, please contact your local store and speak with a member of management. To find the phone number for your local Walmart store, please visit the www.walmart.com website and click on _Store Finder_ at the bottom of the page.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care<<

We'll see how it goes tomorrow when I call the store manager and see what he/she has to say.

What angered me more than anything was the way this individual talked to me in front of my wife. That was just plain disrespectful.

That's no policy at all. It basically says, "Yes, but maybe no. Depends." Some people, WalMart managers included, have 'concerns' about firearms in general.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
There's a solution:

Start a nation-wide Wal-Mart boycott on the basis of their nebulous non-response, citing the "Debbies out there who refuse to respect our Constitutional rights." State that the boycott will remain in effect until Wal-Mart both make clear their policy commensurate with U.S. and State law, and educate each and every manager and assistant manager as to Wal-Mart Corporate Policy, which should read, in toto:

"Wal-Mart has no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to do so."

No additions.

Last edited:

Butch00

The only way to put a stop to this is legislation forcing businesses...OPEN TO THE PUBLIC...to honor our 2A rights
A business that wants control of their...private property...can become a club and dictate the rules.

ecocks

It would be a sweet revenge, but I also suspect that the police would be called and I, and whoever is with me, would be given a trespass warning. That is not what I want and would give the open carry movement a black eye locally.

I want this Debbie to understand Walmart policy and I want an apology from her for speaking to me disrespectfully in front of my wife. I also want to know who the two goons were.

It's not revenge, it's making the point that she's making up and implementing a corporate policy that will cost them business if left unchecked. To each their own, but she will keep doing it until she is stopped by her bosses or public opinion.

eye95

I have personally spoken with her boss, the district manager for the Montgomery and Selma areas. He is aware that she was not only rude to SFC, she was rude to me when I called to inquire.

He was quite receptive to what I had to say, will review policy, and will conduct training in dealing with customers who open carry.

Let's see how things work out before we take any rash actions.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Get the number for the for the Regional Manager and talk to this person and get the policy from them. Then when you walk into any Walmart store under his control have their number ready on speed dial.
This solution has resolved my manager & employee run-ins many times.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The only way to put a stop to this is legislation forcing businesses...OPEN TO THE PUBLIC...to honor our 2A rights
A business that wants control of their...private property...can become a club and dictate the rules.

To effect this one would have to change our entire system of law.

Ain't going to happen.

I have personally spoken with her boss, the district manager for the Montgomery and Selma areas. He is aware that she was not only rude to SFC, she was rude to me when I called to inquire.

He was quite receptive to what I had to say, will review policy, and will conduct training in dealing with customers who open carry.

Thanks! I don't live in Alabama, but the more progress we make with any branch or region of our nation's largest retailer towards respecting our nation's Constitution and the rights it confers to all citizens, the best off we are as a whole, not only those of us who OC, but Wal-Mart and other retailers, as well as our nation as a whole.

Let's see how things work out before we take any rash actions.

Sage advice, eye95.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

I am really humbled by the support all of you have shown. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart.

I just hope we can convince the many "Debbies" out there that we have a right to do what we do and that we also have a right to be spoken to with that amount of respect that is due to ay human being. If we can accomplish most of that, I will be well satisfied.

Again, I thank all of you.