View Poll Results: Would you consider joining a citizen patrol group?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, regardless if OC or CC are SOP.

25 78.13%
  • NO!

1 3.13%
  • Yes, but only if OC is SOP.

5 15.63%
  • Yes, but only if CC is SOP.

1 3.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider joining a citizen patrol group to reduce crime in your area?

Would you consider joining a citizen patrol group to reduce crime in your area?

Yes, regardles if OC/CC are SOP.

No

Yes, but only if OC is SOP.

Yes, but only if CC is SOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post

Yes, regardles if OC/CC are SOP.

No

Yes, but only if OC is SOP.

Yes, but only if CC is SOP.

Welcome to OCDO!

I have considered this, but do not have the time right now. I would answer "Yes, but only if CC/OC is SOP" (5th choice).

BTW - you can create a POLL for this Topic, may make it easier to track for you and others to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Welcome to OCDO!

I have considered this, but do not have the time right now. I would answer "Yes, but only if CC/OC is SOP" (5th choice).

BTW - you can create a POLL for this Topic, may make it easier to track for you and others to see the results.
    Thanks for your help PDinDetroit. Now I've got to ask are you a cop in detroit

Uh...I think I've got the poll at the top now?

Does anyone know how to add a question to a poll after its posted? Thanks & sorry NEWGUY Here
    Last edited by Centurion; 11-23-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Right now I'm undecided. I'd be concerned with the 'power' of what one can and cannot do in the group first of all, secondly, part of me believes that I already belong to a 'citizen's patrol group' simply because I carry and am willing to not only protect myself with my firearm, but others if need be. Lastly, part of me says that ANY responsible citizen should be armed and solely responsible for their own protection. I don't need to be part of a group to deter crime and neither does anyone else. An armed society is a polite society.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Thanks for your help PDinDetroit. Now I've got to ask are you a cop in detroit

Uh...I think I've got the poll at the top now?

Does anyone know how to add a question to a poll after its posted? Thanks & sorry NEWGUY Here
    Heck no! I have had this User ID for longer than I have been carrying...

PD are just my initials...

I am not sure about how to add a question once the Poll has been posted...

welcome to OCDO!!!! great poll! and yes i would be proactive in such a group, i have been in the past also.

again welcome!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Right now I'm undecided. I'd be concerned with the 'power' of what one can and cannot do in the group first of all, secondly, part of me believes that I already belong to a 'citizen's patrol group' simply because I carry and am willing to not only protect myself with my firearm, but others if need be. Lastly, part of me says that ANY responsible citizen should be armed and solely responsible for their own protection. I don't need to be part of a group to deter crime and neither does anyone else. An armed society is a polite society.
    I agree with your thinking, Here's a little of what got me thinking about this so you can get a better idea of my reasoning. I live in a neighborhood that has a large elderly population. We have asked for increased police patrols but have gotten the usual run around from our officials. The Seniors are increasingly being the victoms of property crimes and on ocassion violent crimes including robbery/home invasion. I came to this web site to get info on OC. I have several neighbors considering helping get this off the ground but have personal safety concerns. Several of us have CPL's and several do not. My thought was to pair up in vehicels (CPL holder in control of non CPL holders pistol while patrolling the neighborhood in vehiles with amber lights mounted). If we should get this going our thought is the thugs will move on to easier pickings. Any thoughts are appreciated.

i would not join a neighborhood watch, but i have nothing against them.

During the 70s we had neighborhood watch programs, and many used CB radios. Some were affiliated with REACT.

http://www.reactintl.org/
    Last edited by Bailenforcer; 11-23-2010 at 08:41 PM.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Banned
    Absolutely not. My trailer park has banned OC outright. They are on their own. I wouldn't so much as call the cops if I saw something going on.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Absolutely not. My trailer park has banned OC outright. They are on their own. I wouldn't so much as call the cops if I saw something going on.
    I'd hate to be your neighbor.

can't help but think how prosectors would handle a shooting arising from that. if you are out somewhere and exigent circumstances arise and a justified shooting occurs then fine. if you are out specifically looking for criminal activity and it's crime scene tape time then it could be interpreted as premeditated even if justified by law. don't say it shouldn't or wouldn't be brought up because it will.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T Vance View Post
    I'd hate to be your neighbor.
    They have rights, let them go buy their own gun.

In the summer I go on long walks in my neighborhood. I take a bright flashlight and a cell phone. If I hear or see something funny, I look a little closer (from the sidewalk). If it were to be something amiss, I'd call the cops. If the perp decided to attack me, he might not walk away.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    In the summer I go on long walks in my neighborhood. I take a bright flashlight and a cell phone. If I hear or see something funny, I look a little closer (from the sidewalk). If it were to be something amiss, I'd call the cops. If the perp decided to attack me, he might not walk away.
    +1.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    They have rights, let them go buy their own gun.
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

as long as I'm not working with these guys....

Banned
    The main reason that I started walking at the mall had nothing to do with OC. My health was so poor that I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without needing to stop half way up. Quit making assumptions about me, you don't know as much as you would like to believe.

Banned
    The main reason that I started walking at the mall had nothing to do with OC. My health was so poor that I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without needing to stop half way up. Quit making assumptions about me, you don't know as much as you would like to believe.

C'mon guys, please take the bashing to PM.

Note: this post is off topic and contains general commentary not aimed at any individual in a negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by cabman1 View Post
    I have to agree with both of them I couldnt walk 5 foot with out my lips turning blue !!! and stll worked for years it wasnt till I had a heart attack and the doctor told me if I kept up this way I would die soon did I stop working!!!!

If you cant walk a flight of stairs get a job sitting down!!!!
    It is vey tempting once we qualify for a government entitlement to just give up on the hard working American spirit and just sit at home and collect the entitlement. I commend you for doing otherwise.

Recently my fiancée lost her temp job that she's had for 18 months. She made $20/hr. full time. This means that to get paid more than she would by sitting home on unemployment, she'd have to find a full time job that pays MORE than $10 an hour. Recently she accepted a job that pays $10/hr, but only works about 20 hours a week. She still gets unemployment to cover the gap between what she gets on unemployment for sitting at home versus what she makes on her new job. She makes as much working these 20 hours as she'd make sitting at home. Yet she was only unemployed 4 weeks. I commend her as well. There are jobs out there but people won't take them as long as the dole pays them more for NOT working. Solution: end or ween these people off of the super-extended benefits.

We need to restore the American work ethic.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

What we need is to stop using this forum as a venue for judging other folks.

Don't like someone? Take it to PM.

Don't like what someone does? Unless it involves OC take it to PM.

But most importantly.. and this is my personal opinion... there is a whole lot of growing up that needs to be done. Some of what goes on lately looks exactly like a bunch of children peeing on each other because someone farted. Get over it already!

Yooperlady also says... folks need to look in their own back yards first.

Rant over.

As far as joining a citizens patrol? No thank you. I am not responsible for the safety of anyone but myself and those I care about.... as is everyone else. Those who will not accept responsibility for their own safety are fools... and at my age I do not suffer fools gladly.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 11-24-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beerme View Post
    and if you can walk the mall get a job doing something and quit being a bum
    I have been reading the fourms for a while now and even makeing a post here and there, But I just don't understand how some people on here feel they have the right to judge someone elese without haveing ALL the facts of said persons circumstances? I mean realy what right have you people (and you know who you are) to sit in judgement of anyone?? Get over yourselves and police your own issues I'm sure you all have some. As far as patrolling I commend anyone willing to take on the responsibilty to proactively address the issues that palge our Great Country. We all know the LEO'S are just not able to be PROACTIVE. As for anyone who would SEE something WRONG and NOT intervine I am of the oppinion that those people are either scared or a part of the problem. Just my heartfelt Oppinion and any who wish may contact me Via PM to discuss the issue further Thanx for reading my oppinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast