• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ham Radio Operators and OCers?

dmworken

Protias wrote:

How do you like the 897D? I've been wanting to get something with a longer batter life than my Yaesu FT-60.

It is a great radio! I got it used and it already had the two batteries in it along with the CW filter. AES was about to put it out on their used shelf but it never made it there. I was at the right place at the right time.

As long you keep the power levels down to about 20 watts, each battery will last about 6 hours. I did try it at 100 watts working SSB and each battery lasted about 3 hours each. It all depends on your operating preference.

The menu system takes a little to get used to but not all that hard to learn. I keep a charge on it when it sits inside of my home so that it is ready to go at a moments notice. I also incorporated a charging system in my vehicle in the event I am not within commercial power. Using two, deep cycle batteries allows me to work my D-Star radios, the mobile PC, my Motorola Spectra VHF public safety radio, emergency lights and the FT-897D.

I try to keep this radio as "plug-and-play" as much as possible. However, the antenna system is not always on my car since the radio is mostly used for HF. Trying to be creative is fun and challenging at the same time. I did pick up the LDG Auto-Antenna tuner for this radio and it works quite well using the FT-897 CAT software.

I hope this helps you.

Last edited:

GlockRDH

Thats COOL Spartacus...i had no idea you were one of 'us' :)
I assume youre not at all active anymore? Still have a radio? 2m is fun for the obvious reasons...but i to enjoy QRP CW...lots of fun...i do alot of my own fabricating also....