• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada DMV accepts open carry

gunrunner1911

sounds like i'll be OCing at the DMV next time!! getting moved to the front of the line sounds like a great reward for exercising our rights!

Dont bet on it.
I had to go in yesterday ( see prvious post about H1) I walked right by the security guard in the info line and headed over to sit and wait. No luck with being moved to the front. I'm glad it wasn't a freakin zoo like usual. I was in and out in 25min. Yes the guard saw me he did keep an eye on me as I waited but never said a word.
Oh well better luck next year as I will have to get my smog exemption again as there is no way to make a change in the computer to recognise it as exempted.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Letter Back From DMV

I Had a contact with the DMV prior to this, as they had a problem in one of their driver handbooks. I had also previously asked them to substantiate the "driving is a privlidge claim. so we have had a little conversation.

After reading this thread, I decided to write a letter. (that scares the guys on here that know my grammer) Well today I recieved a letter back, and it appears to be Great!

Mr. Xxxxxxxxxl,

You are correct. We are in the process of changing the signs.

Tom Jacobs,

Chief Public Information Officer

Nevada Dept. of Motor Vehicles

775-684-4779

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 10:59 AM
Subject: Signs at the DMV
To Whom it may concern,

It has come to my attention, that the "No Firearms" signs posted in the windows and entrances, of the DMV offices, are contrary and misleading, and are not aligned with state law.

The sign your Dept. posts, cites the NRS 202.3673, as not allowing any firearms in the building. Upon reading the Statute, it appears that the statute in question is limited to "concealed" firearms, and the permit-tees of such.

While it is established that getting a concealed (permission slip) carry permit is the common way to go. some Nevadan's Choose not to hide their rights in their pocket nor under their shirt, This right has been acknowledged by the Nevada State Constitution.

Article1 Section 11

Sec. 11. Right to keep and bear arms; civil power supreme.

1. Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes.

2. The military shall be subordinate to the civil power; No standing army shall be maintained by this State in time of peace, and in time of War, no appropriation for a standing army shall be for a longer time than two years.

[Amended in 1982. Proposed and passed by the 1979 legislature; agreed to and passed by the 1981 legislature; and approved and ratified by the people at the 1982 general election. See: Statutes of Nevada 1979, p. 1986; Statutes of Nevada 1981, p. 2083.]

The DMV building is a public building, and not prohibited from weapons like a school or Court. This fact makes your sign "below" innaccurate. It is true that the state does indeed have the power to regulate "concealed" weapons, I ask that your signs be changed to accuratly reflect the law that is Cited.

xxxxxx xxxxxxx

702-xxx-xxxx

www.guerrillalawfare.com

Last edited:

ssdsam2

i open carried my glock 22 today at the Reno dmv office. had the security officer come up and give me this. maid my day go fast:cool :cool:

Attachments

• cell phone 510.jpg
    cell phone 510.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 308

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
i open carried my glock 22 today at the Reno dmv office. had the security officer come up and give me this. maid my day go fast:cool :cool:

Fast, yes. But insulting, in a way.

I guess it pays not to be a sheep, though, SOMETIMES...

The Big Guy

Fast, yes. But insulting, in a way.

I guess it pays not to be a sheep, though, SOMETIMES...

Just wondering out loud....should a person so approached say in a loud voice "thank you very much for the expedited ticket. What have I done to deserve this priviledge?" Watch the expressions on all the faces of people who have been sitting there for hours.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
..."thank you very much for the expedited ticket. What have I done to deserve this priviledge?" Watch the expressions on all the faces of people who have been sitting there for hours...
Perfect. I was racking my brain trying to think of what I would say if I was in that situation and had already cleared my schedule for the afternoon, and had my latest Tom Clancy novel.

ssdsam2

its was my first time at dmv ocing so i did not know what to say. with there cooperation in a way. my friend was like leave it in the car. i was like no i want to see what happens here in reno when some one has a gun and is open carrying it

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

I was there on Tuesday, got the same thing.

The security guy followed me out into the parking lot and sat on the bench, watching me until I left. I waved bye-bye at him.

Their childish phobia saved me at least an hour, but I felt kind of bad for all of those folks whose safety was compromised by having one of the two guards sitting outside watching me put the sticker on my plate, check email on my phone, etc.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
DVC said:
The security guy followed me out into the parking lot and sat on the bench, watching me until I left...

so, what happens when EVERYONE OC's at the DMV?

My exact thought!!! They can't follow us all!

We experienced the same thing at our recent group outing to Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas. A dozen police officers kept tabs on us for hours. I never felt so safe. Whoever said "when seconds count, police are only minutes away" didn't open carry Downtown or at the DMV, apparently.

Last edited:

Rollbar

I OCed a few weeks ago in the Fallon DMV and no problems, looks, yes, but no problems and that was w/my big ole Govt 1911.

Now I have a Kimber CDII to wear :)

gunrunner1911

I did my yearly smog shack/registration routine in Dec. standing there talking with the smog guy, who recognised me from the previous years run on the shack with 3 H1s in a week, 2 NHP officers come in I said good morning they both greeted me and said nothing about my gun. Left went over to do the Reg. and no special treatment for me. It was a short wait.