• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appendix OC / inside and out

Pocono

Campaign Veteran
Hi - I did a brief search and didn't see any threads that addressed OC while carrying appendix style - either OWB or IWB using the VA tuck method. I would be interested in anyone doing so and how the unarmed subjects react when they see the front carry vs the more traditional strong side carry. I've been appendix carrying with a suit /jacket/white shirt and tie which isn't really OC but its hardly concealed. I get a few double takes but its possible they may confuse me with LE. I would like to start appendix OC with casual attire jeans etc. but not sure what the reactions will be.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Riana

I frequently appendix carry (on my left) a snubby revolver - both OWB and IWB. I don't get any different reactions than I do when carrying my 9mm on my hip, really.

Just try it and roll with it. :)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Appendix carry OWB can be very comfortable when doing a lot of driving. It can also cause some minor inconvenience by hanging you up in the steering wheel as you slide in (not so much a problem getting out).

As for reactions? Can't say I ever see any difference. Folks either see it and go on about their business or see it and ask questions.

Appendix carry may cause you some issues if you are blessed with circumference. Depending on just how your blessing is distributed you may find the muzzle tipped more inwards, leaving the grips hanging out in a more pronounced manner.

stay safe.

cbpeck

Appendix carry OWB can be very comfortable when doing a lot of driving. It can also cause some minor inconvenience by hanging you up in the steering wheel as you slide in (not so much a problem getting out).

As for reactions? Can't say I ever see any difference. Folks either see it and go on about their business or see it and ask questions.

Appendix carry may cause you some issues if you are blessed with circumference. Depending on just how your blessing is distributed you may find the muzzle tipped more inwards, leaving the grips hanging out in a more pronounced manner.

stay safe.

I have no evidence beyond my own perception, but I think the location of carry (appendix vs. strong side) has less impact on people's perceptions that they method of carry (Virginia Tuck vs belt holster). To me, Virgina Tuck looks a lot like what I've read some refer to as "Mexican Style." It may appear sloppy, ill-planned and somewhat criminalistic to the average jane/joe. So if you want to practice appendix carry I'd suggest a proper belt holster.

Another note, I've always been fearful of appendix carry because I don't like having the barrel pointing down into my leg, even if the gun is holstered. :eek:

REALteach4u

Hi - I did a brief search and didn't see any threads that addressed OC while carrying appendix style - either OWB or IWB using the VA tuck method. I would be interested in anyone doing so and how the unarmed subjects react when they see the front carry vs the more traditional strong side carry. I've been appendix carrying with a suit /jacket/white shirt and tie which isn't really OC but its hardly concealed. I get a few double takes but its possible they may confuse me with LE. I would like to start appendix OC with casual attire jeans etc. but not sure what the reactions will be.

Thoughts?

I have a CCW class this weekend. Would you clarify the "VA tuck method" please?
Just in case one of my students in Missouri happen to ask the question, I'd like to be able to provide an answer. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cbpeck

IIRC, the "Virginia Tuck" is when a person OC's with an IWB holster. Gotta love the acronyms.

If you look at the upper left of your screen you will see a compliation of photos. The two women on the right side with their hands on each others' shoulders are modeling Virginia Tuck (OCing with an IWB holster) & Appendix Carry (holster location at 1-2 o'clock).

REALteach4u

IIRC, the "Virginia Tuck" is when a person OC's with an IWB holster. Gotta love the acronyms.

If you look at the upper left of your screen you will see a compliation of photos. The two women on the right side with their hands on each others' shoulders are modeling Virginia Tuck (OCing with an IWB holster) & Appendix Carry (holster location at 1-2 o'clock).

Thanks. I've heard it called 50/50 carry as well since it's not completely concealed and not completely open carried.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks. I've heard it called 50/50 carry as well since it's not completely concealed and not completely open carried.

Technically, it's no more concealed than would happen with most holsters.

Also, technically speaking, since it's immediately recognizeable as a firearm, it's open carry, not concealed carry.