• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transport on motorcycle in locked back pack

JJ

Ok so does anyone have the 411 on transporting a gun in a backpack tht is locked is it a go or no go?

I'm sure you have already read the "locked container" requirement, so I won't bother to repeat that. As far as backpack goes, it is my understanding that as long as the zipper(s) are locked in a fashion that you are unable to get a single finger inside, you are ok.

To be on the safe side I would recommend keeping your firearm inside a lockbox inside your backpack. You can get a decent one for around $30.

Firemark

Ok so does anyone have the 411 on transporting a gun in a backpack tht is locked is it a go or no go?

The penal code says a locked container, a backpack does qualify as a container, I purchased one from a luggage store the has meeting zippers with loops that overlap and thus there is no play when they are locked. Much safer, there is no way to slide anything like a finger cause there is no space available, the backpack also has a soft padded pocket inside that is designed for laptops but work exceptionally well for OC gear. I will get the model and company name when I get home tomorrow for those interested. its also a small soft backpack so wearing it is very comfortable and doesnt restrict movement or look intrusive, I also carry all my brochures, spare batteries and backup recorders as well as the penal code sheets and police department training memos the officers all had on how to deal with UOC.

Also important any questions about "do you have any weapons in your bag/on you?"
are always responded "I have nothing illegal on me" (which is not a lie) and any attempts to push the issue get the same response ad infitum...

Never lie to a police officer, make them decide if they want to trample your 4th amendment rights. They have to break the lock or tear the bag or impound it. Dont give up your rights to any coercion.

xnetc9

UOC while riding my bike. avoided school zones of course, but i passed right in front of two police cars and the police saw my holstered gun in plain sight as i was right next to them. they didn't do anything. i just drove off normally. a couple sheeps saw my hand gun at the gas station. they kinda just locked their eyes on my weapon and was frozen...

sheep....

Firemark

UOC while riding my bike. avoided school zones of course, but i passed right in front of two police cars and the police saw my holstered gun in plain sight as i was right next to them. they didn't do anything. i just drove off normally. a couple sheeps saw my hand gun at the gas station. they kinda just locked their eyes on my weapon and was frozen...

sheep....

If you have your route planned out and know with absolute certainty you will not pass thru a school zone the law permits you to do that. However, that will not stop a LE that is bent on harassing you because they want to. There are schools that are close enough to a freeway that there 1000 ft zone extends across all lanes to the other side. Just because you "reasonably didnt know" there was a school there that does not stop a LE officer who just wants to cuff you charge you and book you. Then you have to explain it to the judge and convince the court. If you are ready to do this by all means carry as you like. But if your not ready to deal with this maybe rethinking UOC on a bike/motorcycle, in California, at this time may be more trouble than its worth.

Also this discussion has been covered before, and I know for a fact that many Police departments keep a mindful regular watch of this and other gun forums to stay informed on whats going on. I would not put it past an overzealous misplaced officers desire to set up some sort of UOC trap zone.

r1man

Where I live There Is A Schools Football Field Right Next to the Freeway that I travel Every Day. Its A pain to have to Lock up My Firearms every time I pass Threw! Not Willing to Risk OC in this Area! Not to Mention All the School Zones Where I live. I may Just Have to Go an Get me One Of those Sweet Looking Fannypacks and Start LUCC.

xnetc9

If you have your route planned out and know with absolute certainty you will not pass thru a school zone the law permits you to do that. However, that will not stop a LE that is bent on harassing you because they want to. There are schools that are close enough to a freeway that there 1000 ft zone extends across all lanes to the other side. Just because you "reasonably didnt know" there was a school there that does not stop a LE officer who just wants to cuff you charge you and book you. Then you have to explain it to the judge and convince the court. If you are ready to do this by all means carry as you like. But if your not ready to deal with this maybe rethinking UOC on a bike/motorcycle, in California, at this time may be more trouble than its worth.

Also this discussion has been covered before, and I know for a fact that many Police departments keep a mindful regular watch of this and other gun forums to stay informed on whats going on. I would not put it past an overzealous misplaced officers desire to set up some sort of UOC trap zone.

hmm yea... i dont like kalifornia and orange kounty. unfortunately i am stuck here due to my job. one day ill move out of this filth.

Coded-Dude

I already own several "travel" bags and would prefer not to buy another(just for my gun). I'm actually leaning towards this bag that can be placed in any bag/storage container of my choosing.

327.jpg

firearm security bag

Its just like a money or mail bag that the banks and post office use.

IYAOYAS

I dont think that I would want to OC while riding the motorcycle thats just asking for a bunch of stupid traffic tickets lol

JoeSparky

Centurion
I dont think that I would want to OC while riding the motorcycle thats just asking for a bunch of stupid traffic tickets lol
They CAN'T legally give you traffic citations for legally OC'ing a firearm while on a motorcycle! But based upon the experiences of others posted on this forum that won't necessarily stop them

Last edited:

demnogis

Been there.

They CAN'T legally give you traffic citations for legally OC'ing a firearm while on a motorcycle! But based upon the experiences of others posted on this forum that won't necessarily stop them
Done that.

After explaining to the judge... Almost all were thrown out. Stopped me from OCing while riding? NEWP. Schooled a buncha CHPs? YUP.