• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Red Rock Canyon carry answer

Vegassteve

After sending a email several times over the last few weeks i got this today.
I wish they had put a name to it. So I am responding asking for a name and contact info. Also I would still think OC would be ok without a permit.

Subject: Re: Red Rock Question
Date: November 23, 2010 11:31:40 AM PST
To: s <@me.com>

Thanks for your interest in Red Rock Canyon.

Folks who have concealed weapon permits are allowed to carry their weapons
in Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area while following State of
Nevada laws. However, the weapons are not allowed in federal buildings
(i.e. visitor center.)

Hope this helps!

BionicJumpy

Red Rock Visitor Center

it needs to be posted, not posted clearly, guns are legal.

OnThanksgiving day I CCW inside of the Visitor Center after I checked both entrances and couldn't find any signs or stickers anywhere. So I stepped inside and spent 20 min with my kids, still questioning in my head, if with it being a federal building I might still be in trouble. Like I said, no metal detector, no sign regarding firearms, only a sign saying no food or drinks. Any information about the visitor center will be appreciated.

JoeSparky

Centurion
OnThanksgiving day I CCW inside of the Visitor Center after I checked both entrances and couldn't find any signs or stickers anywhere. So I stepped inside and spent 20 min with my kids, still questioning in my head, if with it being a federal building I might still be in trouble. Like I said, no metal detector, no sign regarding firearms, only a sign saying no food or drinks. Any information about the visitor center will be appreciated.
I seem to remember reading the specific federal statute regarding federal building and my memory tells me that if it ain't posted on each entrance then that prohibition CAN'T be enforced UNLESS they can prove that you knew about it anyway.... seem just a little weasel like to me but here is a link to the federal code....
the part the prohibits prosecution is (h)

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/930.html

(d)(3) talks about "other lawful reasons" and I still say that SELF DEFENSE IS A LAWFUL REASON especially since the SCOTUS decisions in Heller and McDonald!

Last edited:

Lostlittlerobot

Does the word "knowingly" in the fed. statute apply to the knowledge that it is a fed. building? I had no idea a visitors center could be a federal building. Post cards and stuff = no gun zone? I don't get why guns are banned there...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Federal facility has been defined as a place where federal employees usually carry out their assigned duties. The term "building" gets even more specific. For instance, a stand-alone restroom would not be a federal facility or building for the purposes of prohibiting possession of guns there because no federal employeeusually carries out their duties there - unless somewhere they have hired folks to hand you paper towels after you have washed your hands.

And as for entering federal buildings - read this part of 18 USC 44, Section 930:
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

How are they going to prove "actual notice"? What with the way laws are mis-cited and mis-interpreted on gun boards, it would be hard to say anyone knew what they were talking about, or that what they read somewhere was accurate. :>)

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion
So as SkidMark brings up...

IF the Federal building where federal employees routinely go about their duties IS NOT POSTED as required THEN one carrying a firearm within the building CANNOT be convicted UNLESS the individidual has been given actual notice...

So, if the building isn't post and they don't give you "actual notice" then you are good to go!---- IF THE LEGAL SYSTEM ACTUALLY WORKS THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK!!!!!!!!

Again, Caps are for emphasis!

chrsjhnsn

Cite please.

The interior of a federal building (this includes any rest stops, information centers, and concession stands bearing the National Park Service logo) falls under Title 18, Sec 930 “Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities” ( http://tinyurl.com/yg2zhwb )
However, Title 18, Sec 930 does stipulate the following
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each
public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility.

So there shouldn’t be any confusion as restricted buildings MUST BY LAW be “posted conspicuously” that weapons are not permitted. If it’s not posted, it’s not restricted (Unless you have been notified by an authorized person and asked to leave because then you've had "actual notice" under subsection H...<sigh>).