• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lock Box legal for transport?

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I have been thinking, would a lock box attached to the vehicle be legal for transport under our current regulations?

There is a product called Secure Console or something like that (custom made for my vehicle by Console Vault http://www.consolevault.us/index.php) which turns a center console into a lock box. They are vehicle specific to match the center console. The promotional pics I have seen even show handguns inside; i.e. it is a container designed for a firearm.

Thoughts?

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
They are going to need to update that website in 38 days when Iowa starts recognizes all permits issued by all states.

Peacekeeper

I use a GunVault MicroVault. However, I place my XD45 in an 8" cabelas pistol rug first. All fits snuggly. When we get legal issues resolved hopefully I won't need the pistol rug.

MKEgal

Nope.

What you've described would be considered having a concealed weapon, since it's not readily apparent to someone outside the vehicle. (Check out 941.23)

A lock box like is used to hold money isn't legal under WI law, and maybe federal too (I'm not on my computer, or might be able to find the reference), because the container has to be made for the purpose of holding a gun. Whether you could add something to it, modify it in some way to meet that requirement I don't know. IANAL

That being said, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
After all, why would the police be getting into your locked box or center console in the first place? Isn't that part of why it's locked, keeping out people who have no business being there?

You don't say anything to them about a gun being there, it's just another lock box.

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
It is a locked box. How would they ever know what was in it without a search warrant (probable cause) or an illegal search (evidence disallowed). I'll assume the owner does not allow a search or convey what the contents of the secured box is.

What's in the locked box? "Papers, and effects, secured against unreasonable searches and seizures".

GlockRDH

"...made for the purpose of holding a gun.." What the heck does that mean? Does that mean that it was marketed that way? Or designed by a gun manufacturer and only sold at Cabellas next to the holsters etc? Or that it was advertised in a gun magazine? This statement seems almost unenforcable...WAY to subjective.

phred

"...made for the purpose of holding a gun.." What the heck does that mean? Does that mean that it was marketed that way? Or designed by a gun manufacturer and only sold at Cabellas next to the holsters etc? Or that it was advertised in a gun magazine? This statement seems almost unenforcable...WAY to subjective.

So, I have a "tool bag" that has a small label/tag and says "gun". I made the tool bag into a gun bag.

My "guess" is that putting a gun into a plastic or paper bag would not pass muster. But you're right, WAY to subjective.

MKEgal

it is vague

Technically, the heavy nylon case I made is legal, but the commercially made CD case with a zipper (& added lock) isn't. Unless maybe my adding the lock altered it enough? The CD case is just the right size, and looks right, so passed the most rigorous inspection police have yet given it.

smithman

A locked box may not may not meet the definition of: "explicitly designed for use with a firearm", depending on what's its design is. I happen to have a secure-it which is tethered to the structure for securing the gun when in those pesky GFZ's. This box is designed for a firearm. Even if its not specifically designed for a firearm, you could use it with good conscience, because unless it is illegal to have a locked box in your car (its not), then you don't have to answer any questions about what is inside. If you want to say something, say "personal property". The police cannot look inside unless you let them, or unless they have search warrant.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
"...made for the purpose of holding a gun.."

That's my point about the Console Vault - it is marketed as a place to store your gun in your car. From the website linked above: "Perfect for safely and securely transporting handguns, securing your wallet, I pod, GPS, jewelry or other personal valuables, while traveling. "

This case is specifically designed for transporting a firearm.

Hopefully within a few months, this will all be a mute point anywho...

lockman

State Researcher
Since there is no defined authority to certify the lock box as designed for the gun, take on the responsibility yourself.
After careful inspection declare the box acceptable for firearms then put you approval sticker on the inside. "Approved by inspector .45".

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Here is where the problem lies, and how to get around that problem.

A gun needs to be unloaded and in a case before being placed inside the vehicle. If the gun does not meet both of those conditions before being in or on a vehicle, it is against WI laws (DNR laws)
So if that pistol is put into a "Pistol-Sock" before being placed in the locked case, you should be legal.
And when removing it, you and the gun need to be completely out of the car before removing it from that gun-sock and loading it

M

McX

i use a standard plastic gun case, modified to be a rapid open case, for vehicle transport.

Tweety

Banned
Can someone please explain why it is necessary to disguise a gun case as a CD case? I mean why go through all of the hassle of making a gun case out of a CD Case?
IMHO, if you use a CD case you are disguising the gun and therefore concealing its identity. That opens you up for a concealment charge all of its own. Now that is just my opinion and I am not giving any legal advice, just making a point here.
It is legal to have a cased firearm in your vehicle so why not just use a firearms case?

M

McX

It is legal to have a cased firearm in your vehicle so why not just use a firearms case?

the Tweet hath spoken. Modify it to be rapid open, and you'll be happy to have settled upon it.

Motofixxer

A gun case using a CD case isn't a bad idea. It looks more average and normal if left sitting in your vehicle. Nowadays, I don't think CD's are very high on the theft list. So it's less likely to attract individuals with sticky fingers. Than would be a very obvious looking gun case.
So what's this modified rapid open thing???

Last edited: