• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bluing/Ceramic Coater in Abq

Jaxinc

Well I was amazed that once I got to NM and cleaned my SW 6904 that the rust problem I had in Alabama disappeared entirely, however my bluing is still worn in areas and of course carrying it promotes moisture, and in turn rust. So I'm looking for someone that can coat my slide, all I need is the slide done, everything else is in good shape.

Would prefer someone in the city of Abq, but can drive 30-60 minutes away if need be.

mserr

I don't know of any places in Albuquerque, but there is a gun shop in Farmington that does it, the name of the shop is slipping my mind right now though. Another option might be getting a duracoat kit and doing it yourself at home.

AH.74

Well I was amazed that once I got to NM and cleaned my SW 6904 that the rust problem I had in Alabama disappeared entirely, however my bluing is still worn in areas and of course carrying it promotes moisture, and in turn rust. So I'm looking for someone that can coat my slide, all I need is the slide done, everything else is in good shape.

If you take care of your gun, moisture and rust should not be a problem here. I say wait and see how it goes before spending money needlessly.

Wipe the gun down with CLP every couple of days and you should really be good to go unless the condition is already very poor.

If you really do want to redo it there are several places to send it to that do quality work, but it's not cheap.

Search for CCR, Grayguns, and Total Automation to start. You could also talk to SW and see if they will do it.

Jaxinc

I'm actually surprised... I've carried it three days in a row, and ZERO rust is on the slide... in AL it appeared after 8 hours, regardless of whether I coated it in wax or oil. As you said, waste of money, looks like I may not need it. I do keep my gun very clean, full break down and cleaning once a month, wipe down once a week, break down after each trip to range.