Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the OC/CC requirements for Indiana?

What are the OC/CC requirements for Indiana?

I am wondering what are the OC/CC requirements....say restaurant and public carrying in Indiana....thanx
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Your Michigan CPL. You can either OC or CC in Indiana. Have a nice time. Later, Bob

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I was informed by a Lake County deputy sherif that if I have my CPL it says "concealed" and he has been told to write citations to anyone OC'ing with it.
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post
    I was informed by a Lake County deputy sherif that if I have my CPL it says "concealed" and he has been told to write citations to anyone OC'ing with it.
    Well, it is a good thing that your CPL does not restrict you from carrying openly. If that sheriff says you have to carry per how your permit says, then you should be able to carry openly in a school building since you cannot carry concealed in one! I'd like to see his reaction to that.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post
    In Indiana, you must carry according to your license. If your license says concealed only, then you must carry concealed. If it doesn't specify, then you may carry openly or concealed.

I.C. 35-47-2-21(b)

My CO permit reads "Concealed Weapons Permit". However, CO is an open carry state. No license or permit required to OC. So can I OC or do I have to CC?
    Last edited by Beau; 01-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    My CO permit reads "Concealed Weapons Permit". However, CO is an open carry state. No license or permit required to OC. So can I OC or do I have to CC?
    The other part I always bring up is, how is the LEO going to know the laws for each state if he doesn't even know the carry laws for IN?

Ind has alot of different permits. You have to carry to what the permit says. My lifetime permit says, LTCH. Lic to carry a Handgun. I can carry it how i please. If you come from a state that says CCW, then I believe, that is how you must carry it here in Ind.

Indiana has a "hunting" license and an "unrestricted" license to carry a handgun. There is no indiana law that discerns between OC and CC. You can't carry on a hunting LTCH unless you are hunting or going to a range. your CPL is the same as our unrestricted license because it licenses you to CC or OC.

Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    I If you come from a state that says CCW, then I believe, that is how you must carry it here in Ind.
    You are correct.

So... since I have a drivers license, I am no longer able to walk or ride a bike, take a taxi?...I have a library card am I not allowed to be in a book store?

Utah issues a Concealed Firearm Permit
    Oregon issues a concealed handgun license
    New Hampshire issues a pistol/revolver license
    Washington issues a concealed pistol license

I have a license/permit for those four states none of which require me to conceal my weapon. Now what ??

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    So... since I have a drivers license, I am no longer able to walk or ride a bike, take a taxi?...I have a library card am I not allowed to be in a book store?

Utah issues a Concealed Firearm Permit
    Oregon issues a concealed handgun license
    New Hampshire issues a pistol/revolver license
    Washington issues a concealed pistol license

I have a license/permit for those four states none of which require me to conceal my weapon. Now what ??
    If you only had the licenses in bold, you would have to conceal in the State of Indiana pursuant to I.C. 35-47-2-21(b).

Since you also have a pistol/revolver license, you may carry openly in this state. It all has to do with the title of the license... not what the states allow you to do.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

My Washington State resident license "allows" me to conceal, it does not "require" me to conceal. The same is true of my other 3 licenses/permits.
    Some states (Iowa for example) allow for any mode of carry as long as you have a license/permit. This is how I see it in Indiana and in my last few visits to the Evansville area, I was not bothered by law enforcement.

I think someone is reading for too much into the code and should contact their representative and get an opinion from the Attorney General on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post

My Washington State resident license "allows" me to conceal, it does not "require" me to conceal. The same is true of my other 3 licenses/permits.
    Some states (Iowa for example) allow for any mode of carry as long as you have a license/permit. This is how I see it in Indiana and in my last few visits to the Evansville area, I was not bothered by law enforcement.

I think someone is reading for too much into the code and should contact their representative and get an opinion from the Attorney General on the matter.
    Honestly, I don't think many care about it.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-30-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    The one nice thing about Indiana is they do accept ANY other state gun permit. Now that doesn't mean that ALL other states will accept ours. I could give the list but I don't feel like finding it sorry.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    In Indiana, you must carry according to your license. If your license says concealed only, then you must carry concealed. If it doesn't specify, then you may carry openly or concealed.

I.C. 35-47-2-21(b)
    My License does not say concealed only. Why did you add the word only?
    It does sound weird but the name of something is not a law.

I don't see why we can't oc in Indiana. Here in Michigan our Concealed Pistol License allows us to open carry in a school or on school property, child care center or day care center, sports arena or stadium, bar or tavern, church, synagogue, mosque, temple, an entertainment facility with a seating of 2,500 or more and a hospital.

We can't even posses a gun in these places without our CPL.

Again it comes down to expecting IN to know other state laws.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    My License does not say concealed only. Why did you add the word only?
    It does sound weird but the name of something is not a law.

I don't see why we can't oc in Indiana. Here in Michigan our Concealed Pistol License allows us to open carry in a school or on school property, child care center or day care center, sports arena or stadium, bar or tavern, church, synagogue, mosque, temple, an entertainment facility with a seating of 2,500 or more and a hospital.

We can't even posses a gun in these places without our CPL.

Again it comes down to expecting IN to know other state laws.
    I don't see how you haven't gotten in trouble yet?? You say you can carry your firearm in all of these places in Michigan. It was like you were reading the exact opposite of what the Michigan statues say.

MCL 750.234d states that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0953--,00.html
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    I don't see how you haven't gotten in trouble yet?? You say you can carry your firearm in all of these places in Michigan. It was like you were reading the exact opposite of what the Michigan statues say.

MCL 750.234d states that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0953--,00.html
    Nope you didn't read the compleat law

...(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

When you have a license you folow this MI law: 28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited;
    Last edited by Golden Eagle; 03-11-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    Nope you didn't read the compleat law

...(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

When you have a license you folow this MI law: 28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited;
    Well I'll take your word for it. Thanks for reminding me to fully research before commenting.

Im 17 and i am planning on getting my carry permit when i turn 18 for hunting, target practice, personal protection, etc. What do i need to do and will i be able OC?

.............--Moderator Comment--
    Please do NOT post the exact same thing on multiple threads.
    Though this one is the later time stamp, it is being left as in the more appropriate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tboy300 View Post
    Im 17 and i am planning on getting my carry permit when i turn 18 for hunting, target practice, personal protection, etc. What do i need to do and will i be able OC?

Though this one is the later time stamp, it is being left as in the more appropriate thread.
    A LTCH is a license to carry a handgun, so you can carry openly or concealed.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by tboy300 View Post

Yup, as long as you were not a delinquent child, and have no domestic abuse charges you should be fine. Yes you can OC. protias posted a good link. You should check up on the laws in Indiana, and always be aware that they are subject to change at ANY time. Keep yourself on the right side of the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    Indiana has a "hunting" license and an "unrestricted" license to carry a handgun. There is no indiana law that discerns between OC and CC. You can't carry on a hunting LTCH unless you are hunting or going to a range. your CPL is the same as our unrestricted license because it licenses you to CC or OC.
    Absolutely correct. As a former IN resident with an unrestricted LTCH I could carry without restriction, any handgun, any caliber and in whatever mode of carry I chose. My preferred method of carry was concealed, however I will tell you that when I did carry openly I had not issues with LEO's whatsoever.

Indiana is a great state and I enjoyed living in downtown Indianapolis while I was a resident.

Hate to beat a dead horse to death

tomorrow I am going to Angola In, to a Mexican restaurant, I have a Concealed Pistol Permit from Michigan I want to open carry ( i will be on motorcycle)

does this mean I can NOT carry open in IN?

I have Oc in In with zero problems a few times in the last year

Thanks in advance guys
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast