• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the OC/CC requirements for Indiana?

SlowDog

I was informed by a Lake County deputy sherif that if I have my CPL it says "concealed" and he has been told to write citations to anyone OC'ing with it.

protias

I was informed by a Lake County deputy sherif that if I have my CPL it says "concealed" and he has been told to write citations to anyone OC'ing with it.

Well, it is a good thing that your CPL does not restrict you from carrying openly. ;) If that sheriff says you have to carry per how your permit says, then you should be able to carry openly in a school building since you cannot carry concealed in one! I'd like to see his reaction to that.

AFPVet

In Indiana, you must carry according to your license. If your license says concealed only, then you must carry concealed. If it doesn't specify, then you may carry openly or concealed.

I.C. 35-47-2-21(b)

Beau

My CO permit reads "Concealed Weapons Permit". However, CO is an open carry state. No license or permit required to OC. So can I OC or do I have to CC?

Last edited:

protias

My CO permit reads "Concealed Weapons Permit". However, CO is an open carry state. No license or permit required to OC. So can I OC or do I have to CC?

The other part I always bring up is, how is the LEO going to know the laws for each state if he doesn't even know the carry laws for IN?

hogeaterf6

Ind has alot of different permits. You have to carry to what the permit says. My lifetime permit says, LTCH. Lic to carry a Handgun. I can carry it how i please. If you come from a state that says CCW, then I believe, that is how you must carry it here in Ind.

cce1302

Indiana has a "hunting" license and an "unrestricted" license to carry a handgun. There is no indiana law that discerns between OC and CC. You can't carry on a hunting LTCH unless you are hunting or going to a range. your CPL is the same as our unrestricted license because it licenses you to CC or OC.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
So... since I have a drivers license, I am no longer able to walk or ride a bike, take a taxi?...I have a library card am I not allowed to be in a book store?

Utah issues a Concealed Firearm Permit
Oregon issues a concealed handgun license
New Hampshire issues a pistol/revolver license
Washington issues a concealed pistol license

I have a license/permit for those four states none of which require me to conceal my weapon. Now what ??

AFPVet

So... since I have a drivers license, I am no longer able to walk or ride a bike, take a taxi?...I have a library card am I not allowed to be in a book store?

Utah issues a Concealed Firearm Permit
Oregon issues a concealed handgun license
New Hampshire issues a pistol/revolver license
Washington issues a concealed pistol license

I have a license/permit for those four states none of which require me to conceal my weapon. Now what ??

If you only had the licenses in bold, you would have to conceal in the State of Indiana pursuant to I.C. 35-47-2-21(b).

Since you also have a pistol/revolver license, you may carry openly in this state. It all has to do with the title of the license... not what the states allow you to do.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

My Washington State resident license "allows" me to conceal, it does not "require" me to conceal. The same is true of my other 3 licenses/permits.
Some states (Iowa for example) allow for any mode of carry as long as you have a license/permit. This is how I see it in Indiana and in my last few visits to the Evansville area, I was not bothered by law enforcement.

I think someone is reading for too much into the code and should contact their representative and get an opinion from the Attorney General on the matter.

AFPVet

My Washington State resident license "allows" me to conceal, it does not "require" me to conceal. The same is true of my other 3 licenses/permits.
Some states (Iowa for example) allow for any mode of carry as long as you have a license/permit. This is how I see it in Indiana and in my last few visits to the Evansville area, I was not bothered by law enforcement.

I think someone is reading for too much into the code and should contact their representative and get an opinion from the Attorney General on the matter.

Honestly, I don't think many care about it.

Last edited:

protect our rights

The one nice thing about Indiana is they do accept ANY other state gun permit. Now that doesn't mean that ALL other states will accept ours. I could give the list but I don't feel like finding it sorry.

Golden Eagle

In Indiana, you must carry according to your license. If your license says concealed only, then you must carry concealed. If it doesn't specify, then you may carry openly or concealed.

I.C. 35-47-2-21(b)

My License does not say concealed only. Why did you add the word only?
It does sound weird but the name of something is not a law.

I don't see why we can't oc in Indiana. Here in Michigan our Concealed Pistol License allows us to open carry in a school or on school property, child care center or day care center, sports arena or stadium, bar or tavern, church, synagogue, mosque, temple, an entertainment facility with a seating of 2,500 or more and a hospital.

We can't even posses a gun in these places without our CPL.

Again it comes down to expecting IN to know other state laws.

protect our rights

My License does not say concealed only. Why did you add the word only?
It does sound weird but the name of something is not a law.

I don't see why we can't oc in Indiana. Here in Michigan our Concealed Pistol License allows us to open carry in a school or on school property, child care center or day care center, sports arena or stadium, bar or tavern, church, synagogue, mosque, temple, an entertainment facility with a seating of 2,500 or more and a hospital.

We can't even posses a gun in these places without our CPL.

Again it comes down to expecting IN to know other state laws.

I don't see how you haven't gotten in trouble yet??:eek: You say you can carry your firearm in all of these places in Michigan. It was like you were reading the exact opposite of what the Michigan statues say. :lol:

MCL 750.234d states that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

Golden Eagle

I don't see how you haven't gotten in trouble yet??:eek: You say you can carry your firearm in all of these places in Michigan. It was like you were reading the exact opposite of what the Michigan statues say. :lol:

MCL 750.234d states that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

Nope you didn't read the compleat law
icon6.png

...(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

When you have a license you folow this MI law: 28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited;

Last edited:

protect our rights

Nope you didn't read the compleat law
icon6.png

...(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

When you have a license you folow this MI law: 28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited;

Well I'll take your word for it. Thanks for reminding me to fully research before commenting. :eek: