• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the OC/CC requirements for Indiana?

tboy300

Im 17 and i am planning on getting my carry permit when i turn 18 for hunting, target practice, personal protection, etc. What do i need to do and will i be able OC?

.............--Moderator Comment--
Please do NOT post the exact same thing on multiple threads.
Though this one is the later time stamp, it is being left as in the more appropriate thread.

protias

Im 17 and i am planning on getting my carry permit when i turn 18 for hunting, target practice, personal protection, etc. What do i need to do and will i be able OC?

Though this one is the later time stamp, it is being left as in the more appropriate thread.
A LTCH is a license to carry a handgun, so you can carry openly or concealed.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

protect our rights

Yup, as long as you were not a delinquent child, and have no domestic abuse charges you should be fine. Yes you can OC. protias posted a good link. You should check up on the laws in Indiana, and always be aware that they are subject to change at ANY time. Keep yourself on the right side of the bars. :lol:

Don Tomas

Indiana has a "hunting" license and an "unrestricted" license to carry a handgun. There is no indiana law that discerns between OC and CC. You can't carry on a hunting LTCH unless you are hunting or going to a range. your CPL is the same as our unrestricted license because it licenses you to CC or OC.

Absolutely correct. As a former IN resident with an unrestricted LTCH I could carry without restriction, any handgun, any caliber and in whatever mode of carry I chose. My preferred method of carry was concealed, however I will tell you that when I did carry openly I had not issues with LEO's whatsoever.

Indiana is a great state and I enjoyed living in downtown Indianapolis while I was a resident.

Onnie

Hate to beat a dead horse to death

tomorrow I am going to Angola In, to a Mexican restaurant, I have a Concealed Pistol Permit from Michigan I want to open carry ( i will be on motorcycle)

does this mean I can NOT carry open in IN?

I have Oc in In with zero problems a few times in the last year

Thanks in advance guys

xmanhockey7

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
**** Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
****(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Ken8521

A CPL does not restrict someone to carry concealed.

Nobody is suggesting it does... a simple question, can you open carry w/o a permit? IF I understand MI laws correctly, you can. A CPL simply permits Concealed Carry. Since to my knowledge, Indiana doesn't have reciprocity with MI's Open Carry law, if you want to carry here, you would need to use your CPL, thus keeping it concealed.

protias

Nobody is suggesting it does... a simple question, can you open carry w/o a permit? IF I understand MI laws correctly, you can. A CPL simply permits Concealed Carry. Since to my knowledge, Indiana doesn't have reciprocity with MI's Open Carry law, if you want to carry here, you would need to use your CPL, thus keeping it concealed.
You cannot carry without a permit in IN. That would be like saying, since WI has no law restricting OC, then I can OC in IN. As you said, it doesn't work like that. The permit does not restrict one method of carry over another. IN allows open or conceal carry with a permit.

xmanhockey7

Well the interesting thing about Michigan is even if you don't have a CPL as long as you legally own the gun do you do have a license to carry it. The "permit to purchase" is under state law actually a license to purchase, thransport, posesse, and carry the gun. The problem is your permit to purchase says just that permit to purchase so we can't really use it as a carry permit in IN but it seems to me if they put on there what it really is then we could carry open or concealed no problem.

Ken8521

You cannot carry without a permit in IN. That would be like saying, since WI has no law restricting OC, then I can OC in IN. As you said, it doesn't work like that. The permit does not restrict one method of carry over another. IN allows open or conceal carry with a permit.

LOL... You obviously did not comprehend what I typed... I've lived in Indiana my entire life, and am well versed on our laws.. It's about what a Michigan permit allows, not what it doesn't allow. Michigan Open Carry laws (as best I can tell) have nothing to do w/ a Michigan CPL.. you can open carry w/o one if you like, you just can't conceal a firearm. As a non-resident, you would have to use your Michigan CPL (ie, concealed pistol license) to carry a firearm in Indiana. Since a Michigan CPL permits concealed carry only(not Open Carry, which is protected by other statutes in Michigan), you would have to abide by the terms of the permit while in Indiana, not other parts of Michigan law..

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

In Michigan it may not restrict you to concealed carry... In Indiana, it is a very high probability it does... despite what I can do w/ an Indiana License to Carry.

Last edited:

cce1302

LOL... You obviously did not comprehend what I typed... I've lived in Indiana my entire life, and am well versed on our laws.. It's about what a Michigan permit allows, not what it doesn't allow. Michigan Open Carry laws (as best I can tell) have nothing to do w/ a Michigan CPL.. you can open carry w/o one if you like, you just can't conceal a firearm. As a non-resident, you would have to use your Michigan CPL (ie, concealed pistol license) to carry a firearm in Indiana. Since a Michigan CPL permits concealed carry only(not Open Carry, which is protected by other statutes), you would have to abide by the terms of the permit while in Indiana, not other parts of Michigan law..

What part of the Michigan CPL says that the CPL holder may not open carry?

BTW, the Michigan CPL allows a CPL holder to conceal a handgun at the state fair. Does that mean that a Michigan CPL holder can carry a concealed handgun at the Indiana State fair as well?

cce1302

We need to schedule a Michiana OC dinner somewhere. Any ideas?

Starting Friday, we can OC @ parks (that were previously prohibited by city/county ordinances), so a BBQ would be great at one of the parks around here. Thanks for the reminder; I've got to start making phone calls to make sure that the county knows that carrying is legal in the libraries & parks beginning 1 July.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I have 5 carry licenses from different dates and at no time am I "required" to conceal with any of them. A Permit/License "allows" one to conceal, it does not "Require" one to conceal.....

Now that I have a drivers license I am no longer allowed to walk or ride a bicycle?
I have a metro card, I'm no longer allowed to drive?

Ken8521

What part of the Michigan CPL says that the CPL holder may not open carry?

BTW, the Michigan CPL allows a CPL holder to conceal a handgun at the state fair. Does that mean that a Michigan CPL holder can carry a concealed handgun at the Indiana State fair as well?

Now you're being silly... Stop and think about what you said there.. Considering the State Fairgrounds are off limits (at least before the new Preemption law, not sure about now)... I'd say that answers your question.

I'm not saying a CPL holder cannot open carry in Michigan. By the same token, you do not need a CPL to open carry either. That is an activity protected in other statutes (statutes that will not apply in Indiana). No part of a Michigan CPL says you can't open carry, but it is a "Concealed Pistol License", which permits you to carry concealed (which would be illegal w/o a CPL)..

You guys can Open Carry on your Michigan CPL, I couldn't care less, it doesn't effect me. I just hope you guys never find out the hard way that you are wrong on this one.

Last edited:

Ken8521

I have 5 carry licenses from different dates and at no time am I "required" to conceal with any of them. A Permit/License "allows" one to conceal, it does not "Require" one to conceal.....

Now that I have a drivers license I am no longer allowed to walk or ride a bicycle?
I have a metro card, I'm no longer allowed to drive?

Again, read what I've said, rather than going off kilter on your own little rant.. I've never said a CPL requires you to carry concealed in your home state. As you said, a CPL ALLOWS you to carry concealed..

When you cross into Indiana though, Michigan Open Carry laws, no longer apply, and you have to abide by the terms of your CPL... which says a pistol is to be concealed (thus why it's called a "Concealed Pistol License")...

Last edited: