• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or Unloaded

the gre8t 1

Ive searched everywhere i know its legal to open carry in NC but does your firearm have to be unloaded? Please help. i see in other states like california they cant carry loaded weapons what is the law here?

M

mattwestm

Ive searched everywhere i know its legal to open carry in NC but does your firearm have to be unloaded? Please help. i see in other states like california they cant carry loaded weapons what is the law here?

NC State law makes no mention of loaded or unloaded status, whether open or concealed.

Northerner

More advice; Know your firearm, Know your firearm, Know your firearm (train, train, train)...almost to a point of being OCD.

What you might run into is "will you be condition one in the home vs. out and about?" This will depend on how accessible your firearm will be. I am condition one outside the home (full mag and 1 in the pipe) and condition three inside the home (...really N/A but shotgun is Condition three).

There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

Some of these configurations are safer than others (for instance, a single action pistol without a firing pin safety such as a transfer bar system should never be carried in Condition 2), while others are quicker to fire the gun (Condition 1).

Source: Cooper's modern technique