• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your input is needed

sohighlyunlikely

well

Missouri is an Open Carry legal state, but the state gives the rights to lesser muni's(City,Towns and Counties) to make codes making OC illegal. Some don't, some do and some do but allow CCW holders to be exempt. What you have to do is look at the Muni codes for where you are going to carry. Where is it you are planning on carrying. Some one may have done the research already.

Doc

Last edited:

REALteach4u

+1

Having the flexibility of both options (OC and CCW) is an excellent thing while we work on our legislators for preemption on open carry.

A couple of Statutes you need to familiarize with:
RSMO 571
RSMO 563

Here's the RSMO search...keep it handy.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutesearch/

I've been lurking a while and I've noticed something that keeps coming up that I already knew to be a fact. Most LEOs tend to be the least educated folks in regards to 2A, Missouri Statutes on the subject, and even the municipal codes on both OC and CCW. It's not always their fault either, a lot of that falls upon the department for failing to train LEOs on the subjects. Being a former LEO myself, I can attest that this is a fact and part of the problem is the view that if the departments addressed every such issue with training they would never have LEOs on the streets. They cannot all be gun-folks like we are.

This is where a professional and courteous behavior becomes key. Though you might feel or believe your rights have been violated, it's best to comply as it tends to allow you to come away with less wounds on the issue (so to speak) and doesn't put a foul taste in a LEOs mouth. Know in advance that some LEOs simply don't care what you know because they wear a badge and that makes them the know-all, be-all of the law in their eyes. You'll never get through to those folks, so don't try once you encounter one....it's better to get through the confrontation and report it to their supervisor or take further action post-incident if it's so needed.

Last edited:

cshoff

I'm assuming you want input in regards to the response you got basically saying, "figure it out for yourself"?

Really, I don't know what more you would expect out of a department. As was mentioned above, LEO's are often some of the most misinformed or just plain uneducated when it comes to understanding individual laws. That's not a knock on LEO's, it's just a fact that there is no way they can possibly have a good understanding of every law they are tasked with enforcing. It doesn't make sense that they would go out on a limb and provide you with a legal opinion or advice when their understanding of the law is already suspect, and I'm not sure why anyone would go to them and ask for their opinion or their advice anyway.

Codes and ordinances for most municipalities and other political subdivisions within the state can be found online. If not, then city hall should have a hard copy you can stop in and look at and make copies of. At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is what is written in those ordinances and it is your responsibility to make sure that you have a good understanding of them, regardless of what a local police officer thinks is or isn't in them.