• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mental Health

Sc0tt

In the past I have been in some mental health "hot water", My doctor started me on one medication wich had horrible side effects (cuasing me to at one point even feel suicidal), I went into the hospital started on something else and that was the beginning of a downhill slump in my life.

Looking at me now you would never know, I take no regular medications, see no therapist, and am completely normal. I contacted my lawyer about am I legally entilited to answer yes the the ATF forms and sherrifs questions about "Have you ever been committed" and since each time I was sighed in voluntarily at some point the answer was no.

BUT! I asked about the process after I take the class of how to get my concealed carry permit at the Randolph county sherrifs office today when I was buying another gun permit, and its bring your licence, $80 for them and $10 for local mental health to run a check, along with your DD214 and your certificate of completion of the class.

So my question is this, If I apply and they find some mental health records and denied is there a possibly I could be told to turn in my current hand guns? What I want to do is find out what mental health agency they are referring to and get a check done personally before I apply.

Does anyone have any advice, or previous exserpinces?

M

mattwestm

In the past I have been in some mental health "hot water", My doctor started me on one medication wich had horrible side effects (cuasing me to at one point even feel suicidal), I went into the hospital started on something else and that was the beginning of a downhill slump in my life.

Looking at me now you would never know, I take no regular medications, see no therapist, and am completely normal. I contacted my lawyer about am I legally entilited to answer yes the the ATF forms and sherrifs questions about "Have you ever been committed" and since each time I was sighed in voluntarily at some point the answer was no.

BUT! I asked about the process after I take the class of how to get my concealed carry permit at the Randolph county sherrifs office today when I was buying another gun permit, and its bring your licence, $80 for them and $10 for local mental health to run a check, along with your DD214 and your certificate of completion of the class.

So my question is this, If I apply and they find some mental health records and denied is there a possibly I could be told to turn in my current hand guns? What I want to do is find out what mental health agency they are referring to and get a check done personally before I apply.

Does anyone have any advice, or previous exserpinces?

In some counties in NC, you have to go to the local mental hospital and get them to sign something basically saying that you have never been a patient there. Most counties don't require this.

But, I gathered this bit from the Randolph County Sheriffs website: "The applicant must not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun. The Sheriff will require the applicant to sign a release authorizing the Sheriff to receive physical and mental health records from a health care provider who has provided treatment or care to the applicant."

I'm guessing they will call your doctor? Can anyone from another county who has their CHP verify that they had to sign a medical waiver like this?

Last edited:

rotorhead

While I certainly don't want to go too far off topic so that Sc0tt's original question can be answered, I do wish to ask something regarding his post:

If the permit is a state issued permit which is delegated by statute to the county sheriff's to handle, how can there be deviation in the standards of mental health checks? I mean, how can some counties require mental health checks and others not be required to do so if it's supposed to follow a single state mandate?

thx :)

Smith45acp

While I certainly don't want to go too far off topic so that Sc0tt's original question can be answered, I do wish to ask something regarding his post:

If the permit is a state issued permit which is delegated by statute to the county sheriff's to handle, how can there be deviation in the standards of mental health checks? I mean, how can some counties require mental health checks and others not be required to do so if it's supposed to follow a single state mandate?

thx :)

Good question. I know there is a standard to this. I've seen people quote time allowed for review of applicants etc.

I don't know where they got the info from though. Wait around see if someone links it up