Thread: ipod touch as recorder?

, ,

ipod touch as recorder?

how is an ipod touch as a recorder for leo encounters?

Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    I don't know about an ipod, but here are the issues when I've tried to use my smart phone instead of a $30 dedicated recorder:

-- Battery life (hours vs. weeks)
    -- Recording quality (hard to hear vs. crystal clear)
    -- Set and forget (something is going to stop the recording vs. it never misses a thing)

On all three issues, the $30 dedicated recorder kicks smart phone butt. When I realize that I have forgotten my recorder, my phone does in a pinch, but it is impractical to turn it on and let it run, so, in an encounter, I'd have to turn it on. That opportunity might not present itself.

Get a dedicated recorder. Turn it one when you leave the house. If nothing happens, delete the recording when you get home. Replace the batteries every few weeks.

Granite State of Mind
    Which version? The 4th generation (the current model) is the first to have a built in microphone; all others have to have an external microphone (either part of the ear buds, or an attached dongle.

Other than that, it works exactly like an iPhone: quite well. There are a number of apps for recording, including some that don't give any clue to a casual observer that an app is running.