• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

recorder education

papa bear

hey. i read a lot about using recorders for stops and encounters. i admit to being ignorant on how best to use them. do you put it in your pocket or do you have to have it out for clarity? do you turn it on all the time or just when you think you might need to? which ones are best to use?
any tips or how to's are appreciated and also, other other questions i did not know to ask are appreciated too

eye95

hey. i read a lot about using recorders for stops and encounters. i admit to being ignorant on how best to use them. do you put it in your pocket or do you have to have it out for clarity? do you turn it on all the time or just when you think you might need to? which ones are best to use?
any tips or how to's are appreciated and also, other other questions i did not know to ask are appreciated too

Mine is on from the moment I leave the house until I get home. I delete the file as soon as I get home (unless something happens, such as this past Monday). The recorder is in my chest pocket and everything is quite clear.

paramedic70002

A friend of mine just bought a cheap clip-on voice and video recorder. While this sounds nice and neat, I tend to not have a lot of faith in these micro spy type devices. I haven't tried one though. Anybody tested a cheap combo dedice?

papa bear

Mine is on from the moment I leave the house until I get home. I delete the file as soon as I get home (unless something happens, such as this past Monday). The recorder is in my chest pocket and everything is quite clear.

thanks eye95, is your recorder exposed and is this a shirt pocket and/or does it do as well under a jacket? can you say what kind it is?

eye95

thanks eye95, is your recorder exposed and is this a shirt pocket and/or does it do as well under a jacket? can you say what kind it is?

The recorder is not exposed, and I haven't tried it under a jacket. It is an Olympus VN-5000, but it seems to be a virtual duplicate of other hand-held recorders that would probably work equally as well. I wish it had a USB port, but that nearly doubles the cost.