• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Times Opinion

Edward Peruta

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/26/opinion/26fri1.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=handgun&st=cse

SNIP

. . . the gun lobby has filed two lawsuits in federal court in Lubbock, Tex., to compel the State of Texas to allow young people between the ages of 18 and 20 years old to buy handguns and carry them concealed in public places.

The first suit challenges the longstanding federal law prohibiting licensed gun dealers from selling handguns to anyone under 21 years old. The second case contests a Texas law setting 21 as the minimum age for carrying a concealed weapon.

As a legal matter, both lawsuits should fail . . .

What the N.R.A. should be doing is keeping our streets and our teenagers safer by working to extend the prohibition on guns sales to people 18 to 20 years old by licensed dealers to include unlicensed sellers at gun shows and elsewhere.

. . .

Last edited:

AL Ranger

I'll split the difference. If you are eighteen and in the military, you should be able to drink alcohol and buy firearms. If you are eighteen and NOT in the military, you should be twenty-one before you get to drink alcohol or buy firearms.

Last edited:

Hef

I'll split the difference. If you are eighteen and in the military, you should be able to drink alcohol and buy firearms. If you are eighteen and NOT in the military, you should be twenty-one before you get to drink alcohol or buy firearms.

You're either an adult, with all the rights and privileges of an adult citizen of the United States, or your not. There should be no "in between" place. That means you can vote, serve in the military, hold political office, drink alcohol, buy and carry a firearm, buy, own, lease, or sell real estate and/or businesses, etc.

So, we either accept the long-established age of majority (18) and apply it equally, or we change it (to 21) across the board.

Gunslinger

Long time issue. During Vietnam, 17 year olds were killed in action until they banned anyone under 18 from war zones. If you offer your life in your country's service you are entitled to every benefit of an "adult." Non-military, keep it at 21. If nothing else, military service forces maturity at an early age. That doesn't exist in the civilian world. There are too many names on the Wall that never had a "legal" beer. Or got to vote for their CiC.

KIX

You're either an adult, with all the rights and privileges of an adult citizen of the United States, or your not. There should be no "in between" place. That means you can vote, serve in the military, hold political office, drink alcohol, buy and carry a firearm, buy, own, lease, or sell real estate and/or businesses, etc.

So, we either accept the long-established age of majority (18) and apply it equally, or we change it (to 21) across the board.

'nuff said!

Either you is legal, or you isn't - period.

How about the other direction then..... you can't join the military until you're 21.

Hef

'nuff said!

Either you is legal, or you isn't - period.

How about the other direction then..... you can't join the military until you're 21.

I can see good arguments on both sides of an "age of majority" debate. I'm not entirely opposed to making it 21. Whatever it is, I want to see it applied equally.

Recon Marine

18 yr old E-club Drinkin'

In the Marine Corps enlisted clubs on Base it is legal to drink beer at 18yrs old! You just have to consume at the e- club or have your older Marines buy it for you, LOL! 18yr olds & 17 jr olds for that matter qualify and carry side arms, to defend them selves in other coutries just not their own!

NickNt

I personally think it's completely stupid that people in the military who are 18-20 years old CAN'T drink or buy alcohol. If you're old enough to get shot and killed for your country you should be able to enjoy a drink legally. As far as the age issue for carrying concealed guns? That's a tricky issue. You get ALOT of 18 year olds who still have a high school mentality. I'm not saying that i'm opposed to it completely but i have my reservations about it because of all the immaturity i have seen with people who are 18. But i'm more pro making it legal at 18 across the board then anything else.

rushcreek2

Opinions, feelings don't matter on this one. When a person turns 18 they ARE AN ADULT whether they act like one or not. There was a 50 year old "adult" in Colorado Springs the other day who fired a hunting rifle into the wall of his home and it went through the wall of his next door neighbor's house- alcohol involved. So on both counts guns & booze exactly at WHAT AGE should either be accessible to SOME PEOPLE.

At 18 everyone is LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS whether they are actually responsible or not. No more double standards = 1/2 of your rights of citizenship.

The 2A extends to 18 year olds as well. NRA will win on this one.

aadvark

What The New York Times Article Fails to Explore is that: 1. Possession of HandGuns, by Persons who are at least 18Years of Age, is LEGAL in 42 States, AND 2. Open Carry of a HandGun, is LEGAL, in one Fashion or another, in 33 States; under Current Law.
Furthermore..., 18 U.S.C. 922(x) DOES NOT Restrict such Possession of HandGuns to Persons under 18 Years of Age, with Certain Exceptions, but rather, ONLY Restricts HandGun Purchases to Persons under 18 Years of Age.