• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA open carry recording LEOs

bluemew88888

hello,
i have a legal question and google is of no help. im a WV resident traveling to virginia for the first time. i open carry. my question is however so as to protect myself from police misconduct can i legally video and audio record my encounter with the VA LEOs even if they dont consent. as i understand the law. video without audio would be perfectly legal and with audio the law in VA seems to be the same as in WV to record someone audio wise you must be in a conversation with the person your recording now according to what i can tell of the VA codes there is no law against recording LEOs. can you please contact me back and let me know if my understanding of the law is correct and again my understanding would be that you could video and audio record a situation where a cop is talking directly to you. also virginia has that whole reasonable privacy law as well which you would think a cop has no privacy since hes a public official and anything you say to him can and will be used in court (making your convo public) against you. thank you for your time i hope to hear from you soon.:banghead::uhoh:

papa bear

i have been doing some research on this, and this is something i came across

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

from what i can interpret is as long as one of the parties consent it is legal. been trying to find out if the police can confiscate the equipment. even if they couldn't legally, they would probably charge you with resisting and take it and once it is out of your hands, anything could happen to it.

zack991

i have been doing some research on this, and this is something i came across

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

from what i can interpret is as long as one of the parties consent it is legal. been trying to find out if the police can confiscate the equipment. even if they couldn't legally, they would probably charge you with resisting and take it and once it is out of your hands, anything could happen to it.

That is why my recorder has a PW required for any deleting.

Last edited:

mahkagari

Is the password effective against damage from "whoopsies"?

Among Denver's recent police brutality charges was an officer who confiscated all the cell phones video recording her throwing a guy against the wall and then standing on him then dropping the phones in a pitcher of beer. The father of the victim paid a data company to retrieve the video from the damaged cards.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Even if you are not a party to the conversation or have permission of one of the party's...you can still record the audio and video as long as it's in public. There is no expectation of privacy in public. That's in Virginia. Even in the states with strict wiretapping laws the courts are now looking at video/audio of police officers differently.

Last edited:

Deanimator

Among Denver's recent police brutality charges was an officer who confiscated all the cell phones video recording her throwing a guy against the wall and then standing on him then dropping the phones in a pitcher of beer. The father of the victim paid a data company to retrieve the video from the damaged cards.
Not only is she a thug, she's a retard. Nevermind the data recovery charges, depending upon the phones, she probably incurred a bill in excess of $1,000 to replace the phones.

END_THE_FED

Not only is she a thug, she's a retard. Nevermind the data recovery charges, depending upon the phones, she probably incurred a bill in excess of $1,000 to replace the phones.

My guess is she didn't have to pay for it.

She most likely "Asked" the kids for the phones, they were "voluntarily" handed over, then she "accidentally" dropped them in the beer.

OldCurlyWolf

My guess is she didn't have to pay for it.

She most likely "Asked" the kids for the phones, they were "voluntarily" handed over, then she "accidentally" dropped them in the beer.

She would have had to take mine, thereby committing the Felony of ARMED/AGGRAVATED ROBBERY. With the added charge of under color of authority.

Around here that is generally good for at least 25 years in the pen.

Slayer of Paper

Speaking of the subject of protecting the recordings you make-

Does anyone know of an Android app that can save and email a recording at the push of a button? Seems to me that would be the best way to keep it from being confiscated/destroyed. It's already stored on another computer, separate from the phone, so nothing the object of your recording can do will compromise it.

AbNo

Speaking of the subject of protecting the recordings you make-

Does anyone know of an Android app that can save and email a recording at the push of a button? Seems to me that would be the best way to keep it from being confiscated/destroyed. It's already stored on another computer, separate from the phone, so nothing the object of your recording can do will compromise it.

Dunno about video, but there's also Porcupine 411. It works on any phone, even land lines. Audio only, though.
http://porcupine411.com/

Edit: Go here instead: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...irginina-quot-Porcupine-411-quot-571-482-1411

Here's a link for GhandiCam, since jm didn't think to include one...
http://www.gandhicam.org/app/android

Last edited: