• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tampa jogger shoots at two teens, kills one

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2010/november/176358/Tampa-jogger-shoots-at-two-teens-kills-one

This is my old hometown from just three years back. This situation is similar to what one of our members experienced not too long ago. The results of what is happening to our member and this guy who was jogging are going to be vastly different.

Why? Because Florida has a true Castle Doctrine which protects the victim from criminal charges AND civil charges. The police in Florida are trained to not automatically assume the victim is the criminal and treat the victim with respect. We need the Castle Doctrine here in Wisconsin. Heck, if we get nothing else out of our legislature we have to get the Castle Doctrine and I don't mean a watered down version of it. Florida's Castle Doctrine goes WITH the person wherever that person has the legal right to be.

MKEgal

2 on 1,
criminals being confrontational & argumentative,
I can see someone being concerned for his well-being.

Nowhere to run away?
Thought the attackers had a weapon?
We'll have to watch for further news.

I'm curious why the second attacker left his jacket in the yard where he hid. Maybe he didn't want to look like a criminal, dressed in all black, with a co-conspirator similarly dressed, out past curfew, etc.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Keep in mind that Florida has (in my opinion) the best Castle Doctrine law of all the states. I can almost guarantee that the jogger will never be charged because he followed the law to the letter and he is protected by the Castle Doctrine. The Castle Doctrine in Florida is what we need here to protect the citizens from the criminals.

Krusty

Two little gang bangers, dressed as gang bangers, acting like gang bangers and one of them "retiring" as a gang banger. I just hope the court system gives the survivor "some time to think" of the risk/reward spectrum of his current career!