• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bi-lo No Weapons Allowed!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Has anybody thought to get Grass Roots North Carolina involved? The are pretty darn effective - especially in getting the word out and other people on board.
www.grnn.org

REDFIVE48

Just filled out a contact form on their website, I don't shop there, but at least let them know I wont think of shopping there while their policy is in place, especially with Harris Teeter and Walmart both across the street.

r1dramma

Just filled out a contact form on their website, I don't shop there, but at least let them know I wont think of shopping there while their policy is in place, especially with Harris Teeter and Walmart both across the street.

Thank You

carsontech

Activist Member
Forgive me for bringing back an old thread, and if this has already been addressed...

I shop at Bi-lo here in SC, and I am concerned I am giving money to a corporation that is banning the carrying of firearms in its stores. I live in SC and have yet to see a no weapons sign (no concealed weapons sign, for us in SC) posted at an Bi-lo here.

I remember I read on some forum a few months ago, I can't remember which one, a story almost like this one, about Bi-lo banning firearms in its stores, at least in NC. After some research a few months ago using Google to search for Bi-lo's policy on firearms, I think I read some posts on another forum that some new ownership changed that policy. I could not find proof of a policy or proof that there was a change in that policy.

Now that I've seen this post, with a scanned in policy with a Bi-Lo letterhead letter, I may probe Bi-lo about this. Even if they allow firearms in there SC stores, and not in their NC stores, I will stop patronizing them. I will let them know that if that's the case, with a typed out letter and email.

Does anyone know if Bi-Lo changed their stance on firearms in there stores?

Last edited:

r1dramma

Forgive me for bringing back an old thread, and if this has already been addressed...

I shop at Bi-lo here in SC, and I am concerned I am giving money to a corporation that is banning the carrying of firearms in its stores. I live in SC and have yet to see a no weapons sign (no concealed weapons sign, for us in SC) posted at an Bi-lo here.

I remember I read on some forum a few months ago, I can't remember which one, a story almost like this one, about Bi-lo banning firearms in its stores, at least in NC. After some research a few months ago using Google to search for Bi-lo's policy on firearms, I think I read some posts on another forum that some new ownership changed that policy. I could not find proof of a policy or proof that there was a change in that policy.

Now that I've seen this post, with a scanned in policy with a Bi-Lo letterhead letter, I may probe Bi-lo about this. Even if they allow firearms in there SC stores, and not in their NC stores, I will stop patronizing them. I will let them know that if that's the case, with a typed out letter and email.

Does anyone know if Bi-Lo changed their stance on firearms in there stores?

Check out post 13, and around here the signs are still posted.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

I thought Bi-Lo had went belly up, I see they hung on by a thread. There are plenty of Food Lions that do not have their heads in dark places. Seems to me they could save some bucks on security guards and the high insurance for them by encouraging OC.

carsontech

Activist Member
Thanks for the info.

I will see if I can get another response from corporate about their firearms policy again. I will ask them why they they need to enforce the policy in NC and no SC.

I think i already know what Bi-lo's answer going to be. I think the " no weapons policy" is really because they want to just ban open carry in their stores, but didn't want to discriminate... or I could be totally wrong. Either way, banning firearms only in NC stores and not SC stores is unacceptable.

Their policy is tricking the people of SC into thinking Bi-lo respects their right to carry. They need to either post all of there stores or not post any of them at all, and stop the ridiculous ban. Of course, it is Bi-lo's right to enforce whatever policy they wish, but I wish they would be consistent.

I'm going to have to spread the work about this one for sure!

r1dramma

Thanks for the info.

I will see if I can get another response from corporate about their firearms policy again. I will ask them why they they need to enforce the policy in NC and no SC.

I think i already know what Bi-lo's answer going to be. I think the " no weapons policy" is really because they want to just ban open carry in their stores, but didn't want to discriminate... or I could be totally wrong. Either way, banning firearms only in NC stores and not SC stores is unacceptable.

Their policy is tricking the people of SC into thinking Bi-lo respects their right to carry. They need to either post all of there stores or not post any of them at all, and stop the ridiculous ban. Of course, it is Bi-lo's right to enforce whatever policy they wish, but I wish they would be consistent.

I'm going to have to spread the work about this one for sure!

Thanks keep us posted, if I happen to come near a Bi-lo this weekend I will take a picture of the sign.

Sent from my Evo 3d using Tapatalk

MKEgal

I'm curious how their 'no weapons' policy protects anyone?
I mean, it has less weight than a law, & laws don't stop crime.
Do stores now have metal detectors & car searches before they'll let you into the parking lot?
Or are they just to go in the store, & the armed guards walk you from/to your car so you don't get jumped?
And as someone else pointed out, if their policy really protects people, why do they need an armed guard?

M

mattwestm

I'm assuming that most places that post anti-gun signs are naive in thinking that anyone with a gun will follow the sign. Unfortunately, only law abiding citizens will follow the signs.

r1dramma

42576b29-9787-5563.jpg

Crappy pic of the sign, check the fine print!

Greg Bradburn

Maybe push the argument that by denying you the ability to defend yourself implies that they take full responsibility for guaranteeing your safety on their premises and therefore all liability should you fall victim to violence there.

WalkingWolf

42576b29-9787-5563.jpg

Crappy pic of the sign, check the fine print!

While there is no sign standard in NC the law does say the signage be "conspicuous" that sign hardly even comes close. I don't understand why they don't post the standard gun with a red circle and slash sign. Surely that sign cannot be that expensive.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While there is no sign standard in NC the law does say the signage be "conspicuous" that sign hardly even comes close. I don't understand why they don't post the standard gun with a red circle and slash sign. Surely that sign cannot be that expensive.

Please do not encourage posting any signs, much less bigger and more conspicuous.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Here in the Greensboro & High Point area, I haven't even SEEN a Bi-Lo in a few years - I thought they were completely gone. Now, after reading this, I hope they ALL close up in short order. They can take their "No weapons" & "These premises protected by video surveillance :lol: signs & shove them up their collective posteriors! :cuss:

WalkingWolf

Please do not encourage posting any signs, much less bigger and more conspicuous.
Sorry Grape that was not my intent, but I don't want someone here in NC to get charged with a crime either. When I go into a business I look for the typical sign, I would be remiss not to. I probably would not spot that small lettering. If a person is going to restrict their premises they should not whisper. Things like this is probably why they almost went out of business.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry Grape that was not my intent, but I don't want someone here in NC to get charged with a crime either. When I go into a business I look for the typical sign, I would be remiss not to. I probably would not spot that small lettering. If a person is going to restrict their premises they should not whisper. Things like this is probably why they almost went out of business.

I may stand to be corrected, but I think the worst you could expect would be to be charged with trespass IF you did not leave when advised to do so from a retail business like a grocery store or shopping mall.

That is the situation in Virginia and I believe NC law is similar.

WalkingWolf

I may stand to be corrected, but I think the worst you could expect would be to be charged with trespass IF you did not leave when advised to do so from a retail business like a grocery store or shopping mall.

That is the situation in Virginia and I believe NC law is similar.

I just don't know for sure, our area is kewl, nobody blinks here. But there are no Bi-Lo's around here. I have found myself a couple times in places that where I could have been hassled. One a Firehouse Sub where I OC'd numerous times, and had no idea they sold alcohol for consumption. I was even there at the same time as police having lunch. Years ago I used to go to Cross Creak Mall with the wife, and never a word was said by security, or police in the mall that saw me carrying a gun. But one day my wife pointed out that on an easel in the food court way at the bottom in fine print it said no weapons concealed or open. We have not been there since, just not willing to risk it.

Basically I want the option to make a choice whether to shop someplace based on their policies, not find out I am in violation by the direction the wind is blowing that particular day.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just don't know for sure, our area is kewl, nobody blinks here. But there are no Bi-Lo's around here. I have found myself a couple times in places that where I could have been hassled. One a Firehouse Sub where I OC'd numerous times, and had no idea they sold alcohol for consumption. I was even there at the same time as police having lunch. Years ago I used to go to Cross Creak Mall with the wife, and never a word was said by security, or police in the mall that saw me carrying a gun. But one day my wife pointed out that on an easel in the food court way at the bottom in fine print it said no weapons concealed or open. We have not been there since, just not willing to risk it.

Basically I want the option to make a choice whether to shop someplace based on their policies, not find out I am in violation by the direction the wind is blowing that particular day.

I understand the problem. Best to read the forums, talk to others in your area and become as knowledgeable as possible.

The problem with asking about their policies and/or wishing for signs causes some proprietors to respond negatively, who would not have done so otherwise.

papa bear

sent letter

sent to bi-lo

Dear Sirs. i have just became aware of Bi-LO's policy against citizens rights to bear arms. there are several reasons why this is a very tragic policy. first since it is a right defined by the constitution of the USA, and of several state constitutions, there is no doubt that BI-LO does not respect my civil rights. secondly, putting up a sign for this policy will not stop bad guys that don't respect the laws to start with. only law abiding citizens will. gun free zones only encourages bad people to see helpless victims. remember all the shootings that have happened in the last few years has been in a gun-free-zone. and third you should know that by disarming citizens you are setting yourself up liability if you can not guarantee your customers security.
but, mostly i will say that since there are so many of you competition, like wal-mart, food lion, etc. has no problem with my legal right to protect myself. then i must give my business to them . regrets, Chris Rakes, NC resident