• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visitor to San Diego

Mt Vernon .40

Good day.

I'll soon be traveling cross-country by car from Miami to San Diego and intend on bringing-along my 10-rnd (max capacity) sidearm for self defense reasons.

I've been reviewing http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-This-First-California-Open-Carry-Information and I must say as a CHP-holding Virginia resident -- although here in VA I can legally OC "loaded" while arousing little-to-no interest and w/o any "permission" whatsoever -- that I'm ABSOLUTELY APPALLED at what the law-abiding citizens of CA have to put up with.

I think I'm fairly "solid" on CA requirements -- including the insane 1,000' school exclusion zones.

My question here: Are there any "special rules" of which I need to be aware when preparing to fly home?

I don't want to become "ensnared" by some legal nuance when properly "declaring" my cased and unloaded firearm at the baggage check counter at San Diego's airport.

Last edited:

Iopencarry

All the info you need is posted on the web site of the plane you will be flying. Be is Southwest, United, etc.
Go to their site, and read how they want you to pack your firearm.

most want it to be double locked in a hard sided case, and can not be packed in carry-on.

Mt Vernon .40

Thanks for the reply.

I've traveled w/ firearms in checked bag before so I know "the drill." (although it was always thru airports in "gun friendly" states ... never in "gun hostile" CA)

I'm more concerned by something like:

Airport LEO: Sir, I see you've carried a firearm into our fine airport.
Me: Yes, sir ... and I'm declaring it iaw all applicable air-transport regulations
Airport LEO: Sir it's impossible to get to Lindbergh w/o passing within 1000' of a CA public school; we're therefore confiscating your weapon and placing you under arrest.

Call me paranoid but after reading the CA forums, I'm just trying to be ultra cautions.

I'm not coming to SoCAL make any "OC Statement" ...

... I'm just passing thru and want to abide by the CA laws (no matter how unconstitutional they might be) and get home.

Last edited:

JJ

Thanks for the reply.

I've traveled w/ firearms in checked bag before so I know "the drill." (although it was always thru airports in "gun friendly" states ... never in "gun hostile" CA)

Me: Yes, sir ... and I'm declaring it iaw all applicable air-transport regulations
Airport LEO: Sir it's impossible to get to Lindbergh w/o passing within 1000' of a CA public school; we're therefore confiscating your weapon and placing you under arrest.
Call me paranoid but after reading the CA forums, I'm just trying to be ultra cautions.

... I'm just passing thru and want to abide by the CA laws (no matter how unconstitutional they
might be) and get home.

As long as your firearm is locked in the container you are not in violation of the 1,000 ft rule even if you are within 1,000 ft of a school.

Last edited:

CenTex

Thanks for the reply.

... I'm just passing thru and want to abide by the CA laws (no matter how unconstitutional they might be) and get home.

There are routes you can take without getting within 1000' of any school. It looks like West Washington St. entry to the airport has the nearest school at least 2000' away. This is according to Google Earth "schools." This is none of their business anyway. They only control airport property, not U.S. roadways.

You can check school locations in and around SD using the Internet. Someone here on the forum way know the www location.

Last edited:

Iopencarry

If you are worried about it, and I for one can understand you not wanting to be hassled, you can LUCC

locked, unloaded concealed carry.
what this is is just unload the gun, place inside a locked container, and place it in your bag.(As in the lock box you have to put it to fly). If you do this before entering the airport, then you will be good to go. No one can say a thing about it.
The airports flying "drill" is the same as inside the Gun free school zone.

coolusername2007

While driving around deep behind enemy lines in the PRK just know that your gun cannot be loaded and concealed. Vehicle glove boxes and center consoles are a no-no for storage. The only legal method of concealed transport is LUCC...locked, unloaded, concealed carry. Your conceal carry permit is not valid here.

Mt Vernon .40

Thanks

A sincere "Thank You" to everyone who replied.

I'll dutifully "brick" my sidearm in Yuma.

As to your ongoing efforts to bring CA in-line w/ the U.S. Constitution, you have my most sincere wishes for success.

Thanks again.