• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ex-cop gets busted for open carrying in Florida

kwikrnu

Banned
Another story had the following to say:

"In court Friday, prosecutors told Palm Beach Circuit Judge Krista Marx that Scott had five previous arrests, for a misdemeanor and four felonies.

Scott leaned to Assistant Public Defender Juan Fernandez-Barquin and revealed he was retired from law enforcement positions with both the U.S. Department of Interior and the Department of Justice.

"I find it hard to believe, with the felony (arrests)," Marx said. Scott then said he'd been a victim of identity theft.

Assistant State Attorney Rob Melchiorre later said he'd checked and the arrest record was in fact for a different person."

taken from the palm beach post

Maybe they should have double checked his identity or asked the man if he was a criminal before stating it as fact before the judge. They're the only ones professional enough...

MKEgal

He also didn't understand why he was charged with carrying a concealed weapon when he wore the gun in plain sight, as advised by colleagues.
His colleagues must not like him much, if they advised him to break the law. Or maybe they wanted him to be a test case for OC?
As for why he was charged with CC, well, the knives apparently weren't worn on his belt for everyone to see.

The gun, however, was obviously visible, which is apparently what the sheeple objected to, which leads one to wonder why...:
Scott was charged with carrying a concealed firearm
Scott is charged with two counts of carrying a concealed firearm
yet:
A police log states he wore a Glock handgun at his hip

There are inconsistencies among the various news reports (no surprise):
Scott has been charged with three counts each of carrying a concealed firearm, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription

I've just never been so humiliated in my life
Welcome to the real world. This is how the rest of us are treated.

He says he has an AZ permit, which according to this http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html is reciprocal with FL. So if he'd been concealing he'd've been fine.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I read about this online and came here to read about the resposne from the OC forums here. Is OC not legal in FL?

Nope!

Visit the Florida sub-forum to read the discussions about trying to change that.

stay safe.

Rich7553

I read about this online and came here to read about the resposne from the OC forums here. Is OC not legal in FL?

Well, not entirely. OC is permitted at one's own place of residence and place of business. OC is also permitted while fishing, hunting, and camping and going to or coming from those activites. Finally, OC is permitted at a range. But that's pretty much it.