• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oceanside new Video from TODAY!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Well done by both parties.

While I dont care for the 12031(e) check, Officer Lyons kept it brief and allowed you to go about your business promptly after you stood your ground on ID. This encounter probably should be followed up with a letter to the Oceanside Police Department commending Officer Lyons for his professional encounter with an open carrier.

Last edited:

JJ

While I dont care for the 12031(e) check, Officer Lyons kept it brief and allowed you to go about your business promptly after you stood your ground on ID. This encounter probably should be followed up with a letter to the Oceanside Police Department commending Officer Lyons for his professional encounter with an open carrier.

+1

1245A Defender

welll okkk,,

Wow. Too cool. Exactly how it was supposed to happen.

it shouldnt happen at all..

Sounds like that went well.

the cop tries awfully hard to get his full name, for his "report"...

the op did fine, but the cop had no right to take his magazine off his belt..

if any letter is wrote, it should complain about all the patting, touching, frisking that
the cop appears to be doing.

IYAOYAS

That is amazing advice to let you know I just typed up a letter of commendation for the officer and I will deliver it to the PD tomorrow morning.

Gundude

Tell them to stop asking for your name, and other fishing question. Just check the weapon and go do something more important.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
it shouldnt happen at all..

the cop tries awfully hard to get his full name, for his "report"...

if any letter is wrote, it should complain about all the patting, touching, frisking that
the cop appears to be doing.

No, (e) checks shouldnt happen- but this is a reality in California we must deal with until it has been struck down as un-Constitutional.The officer is allowed to ask questions. And the OP is allowed to assert their right to remain silent.

I do not agree with you on a writing a complaint. The OP was not hand cuffed, was not taken into custody, was not searched for ID, his weapon was not run for 'wants', and had his property back nearly the instant the (e) was completed. This is a far cry from the July 4th arrest of a U.S. Marine in Oceanside for UOC back in the day...

IYAOYAS

No, (e) checks shouldnt happen- but this is a reality in California we must deal with until it has been struck down as un-Constitutional.The officer is allowed to ask questions. And the OP is allowed to assert their right to remain silent.

I do not agree with you on a writing a complaint. The OP was not hand cuffed, was not taken into custody, was not searched for ID, his weapon was not run for 'wants', and had his property back nearly the instant the (e) was completed. This is a far cry from the July 4th arrest of a U.S. Marine in Oceanside for UOC back in the day...

Your right they can ask any and as many questions as they like its their job to build a case but I am not here to help them build a false case against me nor am I here to assist in making it easy bc everything you say can and will be used against you they will never say it can be used "for you"

coolusername2007

Good spirited LEO. Nothing like a constitutional e-violation with a smile Officer Lions with the Oceanside Police Dept. badge number 1093. Just doing your job, its the law, nevermind that short little document we call the Constitution...wouldn't want that to get in your way. God Bless Amerika.

12031(e) checks are NOT required, they are optional.

Rights violated in this friendly encounter: 2A and 4A

ETA: This type of encounter is one of the most insidious types. Whether true heartfelt LEO compassion, sympathy, and agreement or not, LEO's are not your friends. They are making contact with you to see what laws you are breaking so they can arrest you. At least with the aggressive confrontational encounters you know where you stand and where they stand. These friendly, lets all be buds confrontations are the worst because they try to get you to believe your rights are not being violated, they are just doing their jobs to keep us all safe, and what good citizen wouldn't want the same. To the OP...great job seeing right past this tactic.

Last edited:

boyscout399

Tell them to stop asking for your name, and other fishing question. Just check the weapon and go do something more important.

Asking and demanding are two seperate things. Fishing is part of a policeman's job and if they ask vs demand, then they have every right to ask you anything. You also have a right to refuse with their request which Jeremy did here. The officer recognized Jeremy's right to refuse and they parted ways. Well handled by both parties. The officer in this case acted within the current law in California. I don't agree with the e-check law either, and would work towards getting it changed if I lived in CA, but it is the current law and therefore should be followed until it can be changed.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Too much talking from the OP. I'm still waiting to see a police encounter where the OCer actually exercises the right to remain silent.

I wouldn't write a letter of commendation. Not only did he try to get your name several times but it looked like he seized your magazine as well, which is entirely unlawful. Plus his backup jaywalked.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Wow, Just nothing like an UNCONSTITUTIONAL "e" check, pat down without any probable cause, and fishing!

Officer Lyon's seems just so PROUD of himself.

I wonder what would have happened if the poster had declared his refusal of consent for ANY searches or seizures. Would the kind officer STILL HAVE DONE THE LITTLE PAT DOWN?

IYAOYAS

Too much talking from the OP. I'm still waiting to see a police encounter where the OCer actually exercises the right to remain silent.

I wouldn't write a letter of commendation. Not only did he try to get your name several times but it looked like he seized your magazine as well, which is entirely unlawful. Plus his backup jaywalked.

He didn't take the magazine it was actually a pocket knife that was clipped onto my pocket he did do a brisk pat down but nothing intrusive