Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosco Seattle 4th ave

Cosco Seattle 4th ave

I open carried in Cosco in Seattle on 4th ave today, didn't have any problems. There was a
    Seattle police car with 2 officers in it, parked right outside the front door when I came out, but they didn't say anything to me.
    Last edited by jsanchez; 11-26-2010 at 10:39 PM.

That would be because they do not enforce private property rules and they understand OC is legal.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Do you mean Costco, with a T?

If so, why would you knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner? Simply rude and not the desired face of OC or the 2A movement in general.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    Do you mean Costco, with a T?

If so, why would you knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner? Simply rude and not the desired face of OC or the 2A movement in general.
    How did he knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner?

Do they post the rules at the door?
    Do they post the rules on the back of the membership card?
    Do they post the rules in their membership application?
    Live Free or Die!

Let's not play games. It's common knowledge around here that Costco bans guns. How many threads have we had? I won't entertain the notion that the original poster didn't know that Costco bans guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    How did he knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner?

Do they post the rules at the door?
    Do they post the rules on the back of the membership card?
    Do they post the rules in their membership application?
    +1 There really is no indication at the store level. Nothing in writing for the customers, only employees.

Quote Originally Posted by sigfan View Post
    Count me as "just informed". I just joined this forum recently and have been open carrying for almost a year. I've never seen a sign at Costco. In general, if there are no signs indicating the policy at the door, or a sign indicating the "no minors" sign, then I enter with my firearm. Now that I know, I won't carry there, but I wouldn't consider this guy someone who was flaunting personal property rights. It's legitimately possible that he's never read a word about their policy.

BTW, after looking at their site, it's ironic that they sell gun safes at Costco,IMHO.
    Gun safes? Dang! I thought they were broom closets! All of the employees that I've talked to are pro 2A. I've given them fliers. They just SAY it is corp. policy. Never have I seen ANYTHING in writing, nothing. I've only CC because of hear-say. Maybe I'll talk to the mgrs.

Let's not play games. It's common knowledge around here that Costco bans guns. How many threads have we had? I won't entertain the notion that the original poster didn't know that Costco bans guns.
    The OP has a total of 31 posts. It is entirely possible that he did not know. You might consider entertaining the notion...

You would think that with the recent rash of OC'ers at Costco, maybe the policy is not as "anti-2A" as people are pushing...

Costco is always a busy store, there are always plenty of employees working. You would have thought that there would have been a Vegas Part Deux in the news with OC'ers at Costco...

The policy is not posted. I have CC'd and OC'd at Costco. I have talked to employees and customers while OC'ing at Costco, even had a few discussions about what I carry, why etc. Not once asked to leave.

Until the "hidden policy" is uniformly enforced in all the stores, I will continue to use my own discretion to carry where and how I please.
    Last edited by massivedesign; 11-27-2010 at 10:46 AM.

I've never understood why some people have to be dicks. Grownups should be able to leave their houses (or have casual conversations at home) and coexist with others without being dickheads, but such is the world we live in.

Also consider...
    We are not the only game in town. There are people that OC without knowledge of this forum even existing.
    Just because we have talked about it here doesn't mean that everyone who OCs knows Costco's policy.
    No signs = not trespassing until asked to leave.

No signs = not trespassing until asked to leave.
    It's not a question of legality, it's a question of ethics.

Is it ethical to violate the rules of a private property owner? Is such a lack of ethics what the carry community wants to be known for?

The original poster is comparatively new here, but is active, asking questions, making new posts. Obviously reading the forum. Probably has seen the many Costco threads, so . . .

Back to the ethics question, please.

Is it ethical to violate the rules of a private property owner? Is such a lack of ethics what the carry community wants to be known for?

The original poster is comparatively new here, but is active, asking questions, making new posts. Obviously reading the forum. Probably has seen the many Costco threads, so . . .

Rules that they choose not to write down in any agreement or policy, and that they arbitrarily enforce, such that the only way you can find out about the supposed policy is to write to corporate and ask why you were kicked out when you were not violating any written policy or rule available to the general public OR to members.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Rules that they choose not to write down in any agreement or policy, and that they arbitrarily enforce, such that the only way you can find out about the supposed policy is to write to corporate and ask why you were kicked out when you were not violating any written policy or rule available to the general public OR to members.
    +1. I no longer belong to Costco for financial reasons (hard to justify bulk purchases when you are single) but I don't understand why it is unethical to open carry at Costco if they have failed to provide you with any rules, written or verbalized, just because it says so on this forum. If they don't want me to carry, they should notify me that of their rules when I join or post it somewhere when I walk in, or tell me while I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
    +1. I no longer belong to Costco for financial reasons (hard to justify bulk purchases when you are single)
    But it's not a bad place to go for a free "buffet" meal. Make the rounds of all the "demo" stations and if still hungry, repeat. If you want a bigger portion, just take several and say "for my wife and kid who are over looking at books".

Cuts down on expenses if you "eat at costco" a couple of days each week.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    But it's not a bad place to go for a free "buffet" meal. Make the rounds of all the "demo" stations and if still hungry, repeat. If you want a bigger portion, just take several and say "for my wife and kid who are over looking at books".

I've done that before.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post

No kidding I often leave feeling fairly full!!! And if not polish dog and a soda for a buck and a half. Can't beat that.

I always CC while there, although have OC'ed twice with no issues. I see no ethical issues unless told personally and specifically.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

There is no ethical violation.
    There is no rule, no posting by the property owner only hearsay on the internet.
    Live Free or Die!

There is no rule, no posting by the property owner only hearsay on the internet.
    Again, game playing. Quit pre-establishing your victim-hood.

Because someone plays dumb in Costco, writes about it with a certain hubris on the internet, and then gets his B.S. called, he is now the aggrieved party? I think not.

Again, game playing. Quit pre-establishing your victim-hood.

Because someone plays dumb in Costco, writes about it with a certain hubris on the internet, and then gets his B.S. called, he is now the aggrieved party? I think not.
    Poor empty argument. There is no policy, written or verbal. There is no ethical/moral problem. Your strawman argument (I have never portrayed myself as a victim) ridiculous.
    Live Free or Die!

Here's 1 E-mail I found

This has been the policy for years and is open knowledge. NOW, here's my questions

Do they post Gun Buster signs? NO
    Do they post on their website No Firearms Allowed? NO
    Do they provide membership rules upon joining stating NO FIREARMS ALLOWED? NO

The store is responsible for this, as well as IMHO Las Vegas for not posting the above. This is just my 2 cents of course and I will bow out of this thread.

-----Costco Response-----

Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:43 PM
    To: Investor Relations
    Subject: RE: Banning guns

Dear Mr. xxx,

This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
    Executive Assistant to:
    . . Joel Benoliel - SVP-Legal & Administration
    . . Paul Latham - VP-Membership, Marketing & Services
    sabradley@costco.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 11-30-2010 at 02:01 AM.

That answered no questions and just said "We don't allow firearms"... Please tell me you responded asking for an answer and not a run-around.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

To be clear, the e-mail was NOT sent by me. I lay no claim to it.

Honestly, they won't put it in black and white. Thus our dilemna. I, choosing personally, decided NOT to visit their business anymore until they can get their policies clear.
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 11-30-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Honestly, they won't put it in black and white. Thus our dilemna. I, choosing personally, decided NOT to visit their business anymore until they can get their policies clear.
    Certainly I have know about this email. While it is somewhat ambiguous, I certainly believe they do not want the business of gun owners. I end up in costco about 3 times a year and usually visiting the optometrist that leases the space inside the building. I conceal at Costco. I conceal at the mall and movie theaters because of their discriminating policies.
    Live Free or Die!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Certainly I have know about this email. While it is somewhat ambiguous, I certainly believe they do not want the business of gun owners. I end up in costco about 3 times a year and usually visiting the optometrist that leases the space inside the building. I conceal at Costco. I conceal at the mall and movie theaters because of their discriminating policies.
    I have never had problems at the theaters. I conceal at the mall except if I am going to Big 5 only. Then I don't. The employees there are familiar with me and all like guns.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast