• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cosco Seattle 4th ave

jsanchez

I open carried in Cosco in Seattle on 4th ave today, didn't have any problems. There was a
Seattle police car with 2 officers in it, parked right outside the front door when I came out, but they didn't say anything to me.

Last edited:

deanf

Do you mean Costco, with a T?

If so, why would you knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner? Simply rude and not the desired face of OC or the 2A movement in general.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Do you mean Costco, with a T?

If so, why would you knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner? Simply rude and not the desired face of OC or the 2A movement in general.

How did he knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner?

Do they post the rules at the door?
Do they post the rules on the back of the membership card?
Do they post the rules in their membership application?

deanf

Let's not play games. It's common knowledge around here that Costco bans guns. How many threads have we had? I won't entertain the notion that the original poster didn't know that Costco bans guns.

Aryk45XD

How did he knowingly violate the rules of a private property owner?

Do they post the rules at the door?
Do they post the rules on the back of the membership card?
Do they post the rules in their membership application?

+1 There really is no indication at the store level. Nothing in writing for the customers, only employees.

Squeak

Count me as "just informed". I just joined this forum recently and have been open carrying for almost a year. I've never seen a sign at Costco. In general, if there are no signs indicating the policy at the door, or a sign indicating the "no minors" sign, then I enter with my firearm. Now that I know, I won't carry there, but I wouldn't consider this guy someone who was flaunting personal property rights. It's legitimately possible that he's never read a word about their policy.

BTW, after looking at their site, it's ironic that they sell gun safes at Costco,IMHO.
Gun safes? Dang! I thought they were broom closets! All of the employees that I've talked to are pro 2A. I've given them fliers. They just SAY it is corp. policy. Never have I seen ANYTHING in writing, nothing. I've only CC because of hear-say. Maybe I'll talk to the mgrs.

heresolong

Let's not play games. It's common knowledge around here that Costco bans guns. How many threads have we had? I won't entertain the notion that the original poster didn't know that Costco bans guns.

The OP has a total of 31 posts. It is entirely possible that he did not know. You might consider entertaining the notion... :)

massivedesign

You would think that with the recent rash of OC'ers at Costco, maybe the policy is not as "anti-2A" as people are pushing...

Costco is always a busy store, there are always plenty of employees working. You would have thought that there would have been a Vegas Part Deux in the news with OC'ers at Costco...

The policy is not posted. I have CC'd and OC'd at Costco. I have talked to employees and customers while OC'ing at Costco, even had a few discussions about what I carry, why etc. Not once asked to leave.

Until the "hidden policy" is uniformly enforced in all the stores, I will continue to use my own discretion to carry where and how I please.

Last edited:

Aaron1124

I've never understood why some people have to be dicks. Grownups should be able to leave their houses (or have casual conversations at home) and coexist with others without being dickheads, but such is the world we live in.

Leatherneck

Also consider...
We are not the only game in town. There are people that OC without knowledge of this forum even existing.
Just because we have talked about it here doesn't mean that everyone who OCs knows Costco's policy.
No signs = not trespassing until asked to leave.

deanf

No signs = not trespassing until asked to leave.

It's not a question of legality, it's a question of ethics.

Is it ethical to violate the rules of a private property owner? Is such a lack of ethics what the carry community wants to be known for?

The original poster is comparatively new here, but is active, asking questions, making new posts. Obviously reading the forum. Probably has seen the many Costco threads, so . . .

Back to the ethics question, please.

Tawnos

Is it ethical to violate the rules of a private property owner? Is such a lack of ethics what the carry community wants to be known for?

The original poster is comparatively new here, but is active, asking questions, making new posts. Obviously reading the forum. Probably has seen the many Costco threads, so . . .

Rules that they choose not to write down in any agreement or policy, and that they arbitrarily enforce, such that the only way you can find out about the supposed policy is to write to corporate and ask why you were kicked out when you were not violating any written policy or rule available to the general public OR to members.

heresolong

Rules that they choose not to write down in any agreement or policy, and that they arbitrarily enforce, such that the only way you can find out about the supposed policy is to write to corporate and ask why you were kicked out when you were not violating any written policy or rule available to the general public OR to members.

+1. I no longer belong to Costco for financial reasons (hard to justify bulk purchases when you are single) but I don't understand why it is unethical to open carry at Costco if they have failed to provide you with any rules, written or verbalized, just because it says so on this forum. If they don't want me to carry, they should notify me that of their rules when I join or post it somewhere when I walk in, or tell me while I am there.

amlevin

+1. I no longer belong to Costco for financial reasons (hard to justify bulk purchases when you are single)

But it's not a bad place to go for a free "buffet" meal. Make the rounds of all the "demo" stations and if still hungry, repeat. If you want a bigger portion, just take several and say "for my wife and kid who are over looking at books".

Cuts down on expenses if you "eat at costco" a couple of days each week.

tombrewster421

But it's not a bad place to go for a free "buffet" meal. Make the rounds of all the "demo" stations and if still hungry, repeat. If you want a bigger portion, just take several and say "for my wife and kid who are over looking at books".

I've done that before.

sudden valley gunner

No kidding I often leave feeling fairly full!!! And if not polish dog and a soda for a buck and a half. Can't beat that.

I always CC while there, although have OC'ed twice with no issues. I see no ethical issues unless told personally and specifically.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

There is no ethical violation.
There is no rule, no posting by the property owner only hearsay on the internet.

deanf

There is no rule, no posting by the property owner only hearsay on the internet.

Again, game playing. Quit pre-establishing your victim-hood.

Because someone plays dumb in Costco, writes about it with a certain hubris on the internet, and then gets his B.S. called, he is now the aggrieved party? I think not.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Again, game playing. Quit pre-establishing your victim-hood.

Because someone plays dumb in Costco, writes about it with a certain hubris on the internet, and then gets his B.S. called, he is now the aggrieved party? I think not.

Poor empty argument. There is no policy, written or verbal. There is no ethical/moral problem. Your strawman argument (I have never portrayed myself as a victim) ridiculous.