• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cosco Seattle 4th ave

Deleted_User

Here's 1 E-mail I found

This has been the policy for years and is open knowledge. NOW, here's my questions

Do they post Gun Buster signs? NO
Do they post on their website No Firearms Allowed? NO
Do they provide membership rules upon joining stating NO FIREARMS ALLOWED? NO

The store is responsible for this, as well as IMHO Las Vegas for not posting the above. This is just my 2 cents of course and I will bow out of this thread.

-----Costco Response-----

Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:43 PM
To: Investor Relations
Subject: RE: Banning guns

Dear Mr. xxx,

This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
. . Joel Benoliel - SVP-Legal & Administration
. . Paul Latham - VP-Membership, Marketing & Services
sabradley@costco.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

That answered no questions and just said "We don't allow firearms"... Please tell me you responded asking for an answer and not a run-around.

Deleted_User

To be clear, the e-mail was NOT sent by me. I lay no claim to it.

Honestly, they won't put it in black and white. Thus our dilemna. I, choosing personally, decided NOT to visit their business anymore until they can get their policies clear.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Honestly, they won't put it in black and white. Thus our dilemna. I, choosing personally, decided NOT to visit their business anymore until they can get their policies clear.

Certainly I have know about this email. While it is somewhat ambiguous, I certainly believe they do not want the business of gun owners. I end up in costco about 3 times a year and usually visiting the optometrist that leases the space inside the building. I conceal at Costco. I conceal at the mall and movie theaters because of their discriminating policies.

sudden valley gunner

Certainly I have know about this email. While it is somewhat ambiguous, I certainly believe they do not want the business of gun owners. I end up in costco about 3 times a year and usually visiting the optometrist that leases the space inside the building. I conceal at Costco. I conceal at the mall and movie theaters because of their discriminating policies.

I have never had problems at the theaters. I conceal at the mall except if I am going to Big 5 only. Then I don't. The employees there are familiar with me and all like guns.

Aaron1124

The idiocy in that email is amazing. "Firearms don't enhance shopping experience." Okay, Miss Bradley, so what do you expect your shoppers to do if a man comes in while armed, and has bad intentions?

Oh wait, never mind. That can't happen, because you don't allow firearms on the property. Duh!

Last edited:

amlevin

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions.

So, where are those "Membership Conditions" and where do they refer to "guns"?

I've been a Costo Business Member since Costco began. As for "Selected Group", anyone with the cost of annual membership can be a "member". Kind of like everyone who can buy a ticked can get into a movie or sporting event.

So much for the "limited group of qualified individuals". If that were true, there'd be a lot less of those idiots that are always screaming down the aisles, running into others with their carts, and pretending they don't know English when you tell them off. These people have probably caused more injuries than any gun carried into Costco.

BTW, can anyone cite an incident where a customer shot an killed someone in a Costco. As far as I know, the only incident was a case where the Cops shot a Customer. I could be wrong on this but it would appear that Costco's policy (secret one I might add), that allows Cops and not Customers to have guns in their stores, might just be backwards.

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

So much for the "limited group of qualified individuals". If that were true, there'd be a lot less of those idiots that are always screaming down the aisles, running into others with their carts, and pretending they don't know English when you tell them off. These people have probably caused more injuries than any gun carried into Costco.

You sure, you ain't talking about wally world????

Then again, I haven't been to costco in a year or so.....

sams club, 1.08$ big icee, and big slice of pizza for $2!!!!! Nom Nom Nom :monkey