• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Star Telegram quotes OpenCarry.org's John Pierce

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Star Telegram - Effort to legalize open carry in Texas underway

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/26/2660699/gun-rights-advocates-already-lobbying.html

There's a call to arms in Texas.

Or at least a call to let Texans carry their guns -- whether concealed or out in the open -- at colleges and pretty much anywhere else they'd like in this state.

Less than two months before the Texas Legislature reconvenes in January, gun advocates are already asking state lawmakers for proposals geared to give gun owners more freedom.

"In Texas, there's no viable reason why Texans are denied their rights the way they are," said John Pierce, co-founder and spokesman of opencarry.org, a group championing expanded gun rights nationwide. "We're talking about a tradition and history of rugged individualism that Texas embodies.

"For them to be off mainstream America with this, it's a shame."

. . .

Pierce said there's no bill filed yet to make Texas an open-carry state, allowing gun owners to freely and openly carry firearms wherever they go. But he and others who could not find lawmakers to file such a measure in 2009 are working to change that.

"I'm very optimistic," Pierce said. "I am optimistic that even if it doesn't happen in 2011, it will happen in 2013 or 2015."

. . .

Open carry

Texas is one of seven states -- along with Arkansas, Illinois, Florida, New York, Oklahoma and South Carolina -- where handguns cannot legally be worn in plain view in any form. Texas residents may carry concealed handguns if they have a permit.

Supporters say open carry is needed because under the concealed-carry law, gun owners can get in trouble for displaying their weapon even inadvertently, such as if a jacket blows back enough to show a gun. More than 66,000 people have signed an online petition asking Gov. Rick Perry and the Legislature to make Texas an open-carry state.

Pierce said he hopes to have two versions of the bill to give lawmakers a choice. One version would require Texans to have a permit to carry their weapons openly. The other would require Texans to have a permit to carry concealed weapons but would allow open carry without a permit.

"The number of states that don't allow any form of open carry are dwindling," Pierce said. "For Texas to be one of the last holdouts on a gun issue, it just seems un-American."

Last edited:

eye95

John is right. Texas would be the last State I would expect to outlaw OC. I hope they remove impediments to the right this session.

Last edited:

jsimmons

First he says this:

""We're talking about a tradition and history of rugged individualism that Texas embodies.

And then he says this:

"For them to be off mainstream America with this, it's a shame."

Technically, Texas would embody the individualism of its citizens if it never passed open carry. Being an individual pretty much means staying out of the mainstream.

I think Mr. Pierce needs to more carefully consider what he's saying, or some pedantic jerk will pick up on it.

JesseL

First he says this:

And then he says this:

Technically, Texas would embody the individualism of its citizens if it never passed open carry. Being an individual pretty much means staying out of the mainstream.

I think Mr. Pierce needs to more carefully consider what he's saying, or some pedantic jerk will pick up on it.

The state is not an individual.

wrightme

First he says this:

And then he says this:

Um, I don't know, but it seems that you picked up on it......

since9

Campaign Veteran
The "actual copy from the paper" says:

"The number of states that don't allow any form of open carry are dwindling," Pierce said. "For Texas to be one of the last holdouts on a gun issue, it just seems un-American."

Seems the same to me.

The more I examine the issue, the better I think our country would be if we simply mandated Constitutional carry as an amendment in support of the Second Amendment.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Please take this as you will, but you best not challenge Texans to be like every other state. It will not end well. If Texas was the last state to adopt OC, it would probably remain so until some pansy took office... oh, wait, we already have that. Perry is a joiner, but the legislature really isn't so much.

Try another tactic. If you ask for our Man Cards if we don't allow OC, we'll tell you that real Texans don't need guns for self-defense. Ask us to join and we'll go the other way, recruiting your states for our team, or beat you up for being a yankee. If, on the other hand, from within we push for a change, we can make it happen, but as long as the pressure comes from outside the state, keep waiting.

(This is partly tongue-in-cheek and partly true. Texans do not want to adopt your "yankee ways".)

Our best hope for repeal of antiquated firearms laws is to point out 1) the farce that put them in place in the beginning, 2) the irony of how that administration ended, 3) the similarity to modern day Chicago politics, and 4) the conflict with our own constitution and the vague language allowing the arrest of just about anyone with a gun.

Our constitution says:
Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.

If there is no crime prevention angle to the laws, they are unconstitutional under the Texas Constitution. And while it may take a court challenge to make the legislature address the changes, such a challenge should be successful if we can show that OC does not increase crime.

KBCraig

(This is partly tongue-in-cheek and partly true. Texans do not want to adopt your "yankee ways".)
"Yankee ways" took over in 1873, which is exactly why Texans have had limited gun rights since the Damnyankees imposed Reconstruction. Continuing the status quo is the same as celebrating yankee occupation.

I understand that you already know this, because you wrote:
Our best hope for repeal of antiquated firearms laws is to point out 1) the farce that put them in place in the beginning, 2) the irony of how that administration ended, 3) the similarity to modern day Chicago politics, and 4) the conflict with our own constitution and the vague language allowing the arrest of just about anyone with a gun.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Please take this as you will, but you best not challenge Texans to be like every other state.

If Texans think they'e better than the rest of us, they can damn well form their own country!

I know many have tried. The point of my post was simply to draw attention to the issue. Personally, I'd prefer Texas remain a part of our republic!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Agreed

If the better texans dont want the same freedoms the rest of us "yankees" have, "I guess you consider anyone who doesnt live in texas a yankee", then I would recommend that everyone that is fighting for your gun rights that doesnt even live in your state to quit fighting for them. To just let you all deal with it on your own. I can protect myself as well, but when im looking down the barrel of a gun, there isnt much I can do except too even the odds, and fire back.

nonameisgood

Nope, it's just like a five year old who wants to do something, but doesn't want to be told to do it. We are just obstinate, not dumb. And we do appreciate help in getting the word out, I just know that native Texans don't want people from outside coming down here to tell us to get in line. That strategy will get you nowhere.

Now, if we feel like we are getting left behind, then you will see action. Lead by example. Show us that we are lagging from greatness, but do not turn around to see where we are, or we will take that as you checking to see if you are going in the right direction.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
Whatever!

I will say this. The whole "Don't come down here to Texas telling us how to do things" Just sounds like a 2 year old child, better yet let me put it this way " You don't speak for me, and i guess i missed the vote that gave you the right. Thats whats wrong with this nation now. Do you think this nation became great because of views like that? Absolutely not! Division will always bring casualty. We have to stay together in this because we cannot divide and conquer it's just to big. Victory is the outcome in this battle and i want to win and if it means combining all resources available then why would you not want them? Bring on the support,advice, encouragement and resources please. Help us retain what our founding fathers fought so hard to give us Yankees, Southerners, Rednecks i don't care what you call yourself or what skin color you are if your a red-blooded American then lets gittr done!!!