• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc laws

vroom_vroom

Ok I have been reading through the site but I want a copy of the open carry law that says I can open carry into the DMV as was mentioned I'n another thread, I have to go to the DMV next week and will support the cause, thanks for the info

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Print out a copy of NRS 202.3673. The door probably says, "Firearms prohibited per 202.3673" or something like that. When they question you, point out the fact that the NRS they have posted prohibits a "permittee from carrying a concealed firearm," rather than prohibiting firearms.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of any public building.
2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of:
(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.
(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.
4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:
(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which the judge presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.
(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of a public building.
(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building.
(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.
5. A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
6. As used in this section:
(a) “Child care facility” has the meaning ascribed to it in paragraph (a) of subsection 5 of NRS 202.265.
(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:
(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or
(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.
Ê If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.
(Added to NRS by 1995, 2725; A 1997, 63; 1999, 2767; 2007, 1914)

Beware that I am not a lawyer, and this post does not constitute legal advice.

Vegassteve

Very nice I now have a copy in my wallet right beside the blue card,thanks

Leave your blue card at home. There is no reg for you to carry it. I do keep a old one in my car in case I see a purchase I want to make so I dont have to wait 72hrs. Other than that leave it at home. Better yet do what a couple of us have done shred them and send them back to metro.

crzyjarmans

on blue card

there is no reg for carring a blue card,but it is a matter of choice, I have for hand guns witch I have blue cards for each,I only carry one with me for the same reason,if i see a purchuse it want i dont have to wait,but my ccw cancells that out as well,only other reason I keep the blue cards is if i decide to sell one(witch ive done in the past),I can show ownership of weapon,then bring weapon,blue card, and party buy the weapon and have it transferred into there name so not to have a weapon out on the streets in my name

Vegassteve

there is no reg for carring a blue card,but it is a matter of choice, I have for hand guns witch I have blue cards for each,I only carry one with me for the same reason,if i see a purchuse it want i dont have to wait,but my ccw cancells that out as well,only other reason I keep the blue cards is if i decide to sell one(witch ive done in the past),I can show ownership of weapon,then bring weapon,blue card, and party buy the weapon and have it transferred into there name so not to have a weapon out on the streets in my name

The CCW cancels the need to show a blue card at a gun store? Thats a new one for me. The CCW does not show you own a gun. One can Qualify with a rented or borrowed someones gun in Nevada. It is not any proof you have bought a gun.

Terry NLV

CCW Cancels nothing

The CCW cancels the need to show a blue card at a gun store? Thats a new one for me. The CCW does not show you own a gun. One can Qualify with a rented or borrowed someones gun in Nevada. It is not any proof you have bought a gun.

Having a CCW does not waive the 72 waiting period. This only thing that does is showing an exisiting Blue Card. It's the only thing they are good for.

A few years back it was that with a CCW you did not have to do the background check since of course if you had A CCW you aleady had the background check. This required legslative action to continue it that way. This the it was not done.

Nevada carrier

Can someone please cite where Nevada law requires that only the language of the statute be applied not the language of the sign? I think this will help the dip shits at the DMV understand when you show them the statute.

wrightme

Can someone please cite where Nevada law requires that only the language of the statute be applied not the language of the sign? I think this will help the dip shits at the DMV understand when you show them the statute.
The best I can think of at present is "trespass law." Unless there is a specific statute that creates GFZ out of public buildings, the sign only carries the weight (and verbiage) of NRS 202.3673 . (IANAL, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night).

Here is one thread on the topic: Open Carry in Public Buildings?

Here is a thread with the "Nevada OC pamphlet" link: Nevada OC Pamphlet

Last edited:

chrsjhnsn

what waiting period?

Having a CCW does not waive the 72 waiting period. This only thing that does is showing an exisiting Blue Card. It's the only thing they are good for.

A few years back it was that with a CCW you did not have to do the background check since of course if you had A CCW you aleady had the background check. This required legslative action to continue it that way. This the it was not done.

I've never had to wait, I got a background check once though ( even though I have a ccw, I think the law has changed)

wrightme

Wow never thought of it that way. Clark County has turned into a minnie California.

Now, just for clarification, I do NOT think of LV as a mini-CA. But, their are draconian in firearms regulation compared to the rest of the state, and the Clark County municipalities have not shown much willingness towards complying with pre-emption.

Nevada carrier

Now, just for clarification, I do NOT think of LV as a mini-CA. But, their are draconian in firearms regulation compared to the rest of the state, and the Clark County municipalities have not shown much willingness towards complying with pre-emption.

A friend of mine has been trying to open a firearms store here in Clark County, with a primary focus on selling and manufacturing ammunition. His hang up is the county. He told me he has all his state a federal license requirements met, but the county is hanging him up. I told him to check with a lawyer to see if preemption permits the county to require additional permits to operate a business that sells such things. He has obtained his special use permit, but now he needs a permit to operate a "Sporting goods" store from the county in order to sell ammunition.

I believe preemption applies, hope his lawyer confirms this.