• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seven Rational Reasons to Carry A Back Up Gun

NHCGRPR45

Na she would not shoot me, i really torked her off last week and she did not speak to me for 3 days, :D and my guns were in their resting spot and she never went near them..I think the only thing she would do is pop me over the head with a rolling pin!

She even made my dinner during those three days!

can't hurt after you run out of rifle, and sidearm ammo..........:uhoh:

has the crying stopped??

Nope, the water works started the other day when she realized I had TWO pistols and not just one! Yea I did not tell her, but ive learned over the years how to get around the tears or at least to reduce them!

after the dinner at the Coney Island she stated OK, now I went to one of those gun thingys, Im done!

well it seems you have the situation well in hand onnie, but watch out for rolling pins! i have an older PASGT helmet you could have, its made for fragmentaion protection so it should be able to soak up a few hits from a rolling pin!:banana:

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Very true, however there is undeniably a place for a smaller, completely undetectable hideout which can be deployed in an instant with no warning to attackers, which normally means 380/snub nose or smaller in a pocket, which is a lot less power than a main or secondary backup should have if you really need defensive firepower, but tremendously effective in terms of speed from concealment.

Although, there are small subcompact versions of service models that, once the small magazine is empty, will take the larger magazines from the full size guns.

Glocks or XDs for example.

Though if I'm carrying two guns its usually my 4" XD, and my 5" XD...

ETA: Or maybe my AK

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

Although, there are small subcompact versions of service models that, once the small magazine is empty, will take the larger magazines from the full size guns.

Glocks or XDs for example.

Though if I'm carrying two guns its usually my 4" XD, and my 5" XD...

ETA: Or maybe my AK

Ok, gentlemen I will concede that the back-up needn’t be exactly as the primary but at least when considering a back-up gun the shooter should seriously weigh the importance of ensuring that the magazines are compatible so as to be able to use all their ammunition in a pinch. I mean given all the makes and models out there for pistols I would hazard to guess most handguns only accommodate the magazine for which it was designed.

What's more, who said anything about concealing the back-up gun? I’m a hardcore OC'er thus I exercise no pretense when it comes to concealing my BUG. Secondly, a back-up gun with a shorter barrel length than the primary means diminished stopping power and accuracy. This isn't a trade-off I'm willing to make. This is why my personal philosophy is for carrying two full-sized identical handguns.

Finally, for anyone thinking of attempting a gun grab, the sight of two openly carried pistols will most likely dash their ambitions. Why? Because now they have to calculate the probability of successfully snatching both pistols; with failure not being an option. And for anyone who knows anything about OC'ers they should know that we are fanatics about weapon retention.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

at the distances that we are dealing with barrel lenght and desired stopping power are really non-issues, but if it really concerns you then use +p ammo in the back up as well or +p+ in both.

Bronson

Another reason to carry a BUG is to balance out the load. I think my back keeps hurting becasue the full sized 1911 I'm lugging around on my right hip is making me all catywampused :p

Bronson

cmdr_iceman71

Hey, the first night I recieved my CPL in the mail, I walked out of the house with my 4 inch barrel Springfield XD and 12 rounds in the magazine and thought that was enough. Heck I didnt even know how to do the + 1 trick. I had no BUG or spare magazines. Had I had a thread like this one I would've been more educated as to how light in the pants I was. lol

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Secondly, a back-up gun with a shorter barrel length than the primary means diminished stopping power and accuracy. This isn't a trade-off I'm willing to make. This is why my personal philosophy is for carrying two full-sized identical handguns.

So why are you carrying handguns? Sounds like you'd be carrying around two AK style rifles.

Haman J.T.

Hey, the first night I recieved my CPL in the mail, I walked out of the house with my 4 inch barrel Springfield XD and 12 rounds in the magazine and thought that was enough. Heck I didnt even know how to do the + 1 trick. I had no BUG or spare magazines. Had I had a thread like this one I would've been more educated as to how light in the pants I was. lol
Don't feel so bad about less,our founders had single shots,tomahawks and knives for back ups! The GOOD OLE DAYS!

ElectricianLU58

i have still not found the BUG that i want yet.

so far, i have looked at:
s&w j frames
kahr mk9
seecamp .380
colt mustang
sig 238

before i buy a BUG, i think i want to buy myself a 686+.

Outdoorsman1

My daily carry is my XD 40 w/ 4" barrel... fully loaded at 12 +1 w/ 3 extra 12 round mags.

My BUG (and after Nov. 1 (Wisconsin) my concealed carry) is my Glock 27 Gen. 4 sub-compact, fully loaded at 9+1 w/ 2 extra 9 round mags.

Both firerarms are .40 Cal.

Outdoorsman1

xmanhockey7

If I ever carried a BUG (assuming it's not a pocket gun) I'd want two Glocks of the same caliber. Since I already have a G22 I'd probably want the G27 as a BUG. Problem is I just bought a Springfield XDm 3.8 compact. Still trying to figure out which company I like better though.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
If I ever carried a BUG (assuming it's not a pocket gun) I'd want two Glocks of the same caliber. Since I already have a G22 I'd probably want the G27 as a BUG. Problem is I just bought a Springfield XDm 3.8 compact. Still trying to figure out which company I like better though.

You hit the nail on the head-

Glock 22 (15+1)
Glock 27 (10+1)

2 mags for the G22 (30) which fit both the 22 and the 27

57 rounds of 40SW, $60
BUG $470
Always having the right magazines, priceless:monkey