Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best "Dress" Gun

Best "Dress" Gun

So, I don't have a CCW and I'm still not sure if I plan to get a Colorado CCW, but I was wondering what everyone thought was the best "dress" gun. What I mean by this is, what is the gun that looks to the sleekest, highest class, that has good stopping power and can be worn with just about everything? I personally like the looks of a high quality stainless or nickel 1911 with offset colors (i.e. black frame w/ stainless slide, trigger, hammer, safety, slide release, or any dark/shiny combination you can think of really). However, I've also been thinking of a nice, not too bulky/huge revolver that is either nickel or stainless and just LOOKS amazing. I ask because I am going to Christmas and New Years' parties and have been thinking about what to wear that would look good with my Ruger. It's not too ugly, but I know it doesn't look the best, especially after almost a year of carry behind it with all the bumps and nicks it's received. Anyway, I thought it would make an interesting topic. Let me know what you all think.

Basic black all the way. Stainless and nickel don't look "sleek" or "high class" they look kitsch and flashy. Go for simple elegance, not bling.

Either of my SIG 1911s look great, and with 8 or 9 rounds of Federal HST 230g +Ps are as deadly a defensive weapon as you can get. The C3 is Commander slide and bbl and Officers frame. Both are SS slide and SIG's Nitron (black) frame. The full sized also has a rail. I get compliments on them all of the time, both are poa accurate, reliable and with a Fobus for the C3 and a Blade-Tech for the Rail, easy to carry OC or CC. About a grand each.

If we're talking accessorizing, the consideration needs to include your holster. You really do want something that "goes with everything", not that looks like you stuck on last minute and it's your first time out of torn jeans and a pit-stained Skynard tshirt. Or that you're a usually a uniformed LEO and threw on your duty weapon without a thought to your appearance.
    Last edited by mahkagari; 11-28-2010 at 01:01 PM.

True. A $3000 Nighthawk in an Uncle Mike's one size fits all "bag" doesn't cut it.

Springfield XD bi-tone. You have elegance with the black frame and alittle bling with the slide, but without looking gaudy.

Are you talking just gaudy, or are you talking Court Guns and BBQ Guns?

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...-bbq-guns.html

Personally, a black nickle-plated 4" S&W 625 with mammoth-ivory stocks would be my choice for either. If you are going to go with engraving then swap the stocks out for elk antler with deep bark.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Are you talking just gaudy, or are you talking Court Guns and BBQ Guns?

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...-bbq-guns.html
    "Have the trigger, hammer, screws and ejection rod anodized blue, gold, or colour-case-hardened for the traditionalists."

Please tell me he's joking.

Peruse nearly any gun you find in this forum:

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/

Here's my pick for Best Dress Gun, combining stainless and black, the 1911A1 Springfield Armory Black Stainless Target.

To answer a few questions, I am not looking for something with too much "bling" but polished/shiny highlights can make a gun look better, in my opinion. And I guess, yes, I am looking for a barbecue/court gun, but I'm not a big fan of tons of engraving (i.e. matching belt, holster, buckle and gun). I think a bit on the gun is fine, but more and it's just a bit too much. The 625 is a good idea, but I would have to find one polished stainless .45LC or pay to have it done, but it is a good looker.

Any recommendations on some good leather? I can't see wearing decent clothes, dress shoes and a nylon holster either, although it did slip my mind on the original post. Also, how much of the gun should show out of the holster? I think that it would look good in something like a Serpa that allows a bit of the slide/barrel to hang out, but then again I can see the upside to having something that covers more.

Also, I am partial to two-tone guns. I just think that if it's done right (kept proportionate) it can look really good. I went in today and was looking at some of the offerings at Sportsman's Warehouse, and the more I look at it, the more I like two-tone 1911's that have the frame a stainless color and the slide is blued/black. I'll have to go to Specialty Sports this week and check out some other options (Kimber's mentioned and SA 1911's) as Sportsman's selection was limited.

On a final note, I was looking at the new Ruger SR40 while I was there and, while I don't think it's good to wear polymer when dressing well, I have to admit that the stainless version they had up there would probably look pretty decent in a leather or Kydex holster that showed most of slide.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I think that it's these conversations that get us to think about it more and will, at least for me, help me decide what to wear to special occasions. Maybe the next thread can be "What to Wear for a Wedding" lol.

Check out Specialty Sports for the best selection. I prefer SS upper and dark lower on a two tone, like my SIGs, but either looks good. Specialty is more expensive than Sportsmans, but has one of the best 1911 selections I've seen. Don't overlook the internet, either. Buds or Gallery both have good selections.

Mine? Ruger GP100 SS 4" with a three slot pancake holster I'll wear crossdraw and dual speedloader carrier on the way.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

I love the look of the Sig P226 Equinox.
    http://www.nelsontactical.com/produc...x-detail-L.jpg

Red face Plainly elegant

While I usually carry an S&W revolver, nothing shows "class" better than my blued 1983 Browning High Power worn worn with a FIST horsehide cordovan belt/holster/magazine pouch combo.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackL View Post
    ...what is the gun that looks to the sleekest, highest class, that has good stopping power and can be worn with just about everything?
    My carry weapon of choice: CZ 85 B. It may not be the sleekest or highest class overall, but it's definately tops in both categories among the guns I own.

It's not too ugly, but I know it doesn't look the best, especially after almost a year of carry behind it with all the bumps and nicks it's received.
    Earlier this morning, I held an M-1 Carbine. It was well-maintained, but had definately seen action (bumps and nicks, etc.)

I thought it was one of the most beautiful weapons I've ever seen.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    My carry weapon of choice: CZ 85 B. It may not be the sleekest or highest class overall, but it's definately tops in both categories among the guns I own.
    I'm looking heavily at the CZ 2075 RAMI .40 as my next purchase. Problem is, I can't find them anywhere so I can even hold one, much less shoot. Do you have any experience with the 2075?
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6-shooter View Post
    While I usually carry an S&W revolver, nothing shows "class" better than my blued 1983 Browning High Power worn worn with a FIST horsehide cordovan belt/holster/magazine pouch combo.
    Pics?

Dress gun?

My dress guns (two) are the ones I shoot best with and feel most comfortable employing if necessary. That said, you can't go wrong with the 1911 if you train with it and put in the time. It's easy to accessorize with interchangeable grips etc. Black on black gun and holster is a classic. Although I used to be a utility fanatic ie stainless and composite (such a classy way to say plastic), as I grow older deep slow rust blueing and warm wood become my taste.

Pretty guns are generally wall hangers. IMHO... no sidearm should ever be considered a fashion accessory. Wearing a gun to a party is not generally a good idea to begin with.

Dress Gun

Colt Python, Royal Blue. 'Nuff said.

Seems relevant to this thread:

Took my wife to her/our favorite favorite French restaurant in Denver earlier this week. Was CCing my .357 on my back in a belly band. We were discussing how Colorado is just not that dressy. There are places you can dress up, but very few you HAVE to. Most places that you can wear a suit, you can fit in just as well in jeans. I like dressing to the middle, personally.

I've been due for a new sports coat, so we hit Cherry Creek. Went to several stores looking at Armani and Versace (with kid schmutz on the front of my shirt). I think there was also a brand called Igor Yeahrightathousandbucksmyassnotonyourbestdayavich. Finally made it to Macy's and laughed that at Cherry Creek, apparently DKNY and Ralph Lauren were the bargain brands.

Saw a jacket that wasn't what I was looking for but looked good. More importantly, it was half off what was already a decent price. But it was a size too big. We wondered about altering and my wife noted that it needed to leave room "for what's under your shirt". I asked the salesperson if it could be tailored. He checked it out and thought it was just too big. Didn't seem like he noticed my gun. He kept just missing it. He found the same jacket in my size and I nonverbally asked my wife if I was printing, she "said" it was fine.

I conceded to opening a charge account for the discount (10% for opening the card and then another 20% off that and other purchases that day). We took the kids to the play area for a while and I decided I should look at shoes while I had access to the discount. The dog had just chewed up my favorite dress boots. They were a vintage western style half boot with zippers (Fonzi style, nice). Found some that were a very different style to what I normally wear, but since my wife liked them, they were a must. They'll take some getting used to. I'm going to need to take them to the range and otherwise practice footwork in them. I'm used to shooting in all my other shoes.

Yeah, really - who cares? Just carry a reasonable (.22 ACP to .44 MAG) firearm. More if you'd like.

We have bigger fish to fry.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Depends on where and what I'm wearing.
    For more business casual or more dressy things...
    Usually a nice Michael Kole custom black leather holster with my Kimber Pro Carry or my Beretta PX4 Storm with it's matching Beretta Italian leather holster. A nice suit coat or light jacket hides it while wearing it but when you take it off it blends and looks professional, not police or flashy. Like someone else posted, with a ratty tshirt and worn bluejeans, who cares, but more dressed up, more style is required.
    Just plain looks nicer and relaxes sheeple.
    I still like my leather sliders for general wearing in public or CCW. NRA sells them for about 20 bucks or so.
    I have a very comfortable nylon one for around the house when I'm just in my jammies.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by Diocoles; 01-08-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast