• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best "Dress" Gun

Sonora Rebel

Pretty guns are generally wall hangers. IMHO... no sidearm should ever be considered a fashion accessory. Wearing a gun to a party is not generally a good idea to begin with.

mahkagari

Seems relevant to this thread:

Took my wife to her/our favorite favorite French restaurant in Denver earlier this week. Was CCing my .357 on my back in a belly band. We were discussing how Colorado is just not that dressy. There are places you can dress up, but very few you HAVE to. Most places that you can wear a suit, you can fit in just as well in jeans. I like dressing to the middle, personally.

I've been due for a new sports coat, so we hit Cherry Creek. Went to several stores looking at Armani and Versace (with kid schmutz on the front of my shirt). I think there was also a brand called Igor Yeahrightathousandbucksmyassnotonyourbestdayavich. Finally made it to Macy's and laughed that at Cherry Creek, apparently DKNY and Ralph Lauren were the bargain brands.

Saw a jacket that wasn't what I was looking for but looked good. More importantly, it was half off what was already a decent price. But it was a size too big. We wondered about altering and my wife noted that it needed to leave room "for what's under your shirt". I asked the salesperson if it could be tailored. He checked it out and thought it was just too big. Didn't seem like he noticed my gun. He kept just missing it. He found the same jacket in my size and I nonverbally asked my wife if I was printing, she "said" it was fine.

I conceded to opening a charge account for the discount (10% for opening the card and then another 20% off that and other purchases that day). We took the kids to the play area for a while and I decided I should look at shoes while I had access to the discount. The dog had just chewed up my favorite dress boots. They were a vintage western style half boot with zippers (Fonzi style, nice). Found some that were a very different style to what I normally wear, but since my wife liked them, they were a must. They'll take some getting used to. I'm going to need to take them to the range and otherwise practice footwork in them. I'm used to shooting in all my other shoes.

Diocoles

Depends on where and what I'm wearing.
For more business casual or more dressy things...
Usually a nice Michael Kole custom black leather holster with my Kimber Pro Carry or my Beretta PX4 Storm with it's matching Beretta Italian leather holster. A nice suit coat or light jacket hides it while wearing it but when you take it off it blends and looks professional, not police or flashy. Like someone else posted, with a ratty tshirt and worn bluejeans, who cares, but more dressed up, more style is required.
Just plain looks nicer and relaxes sheeple.
I still like my leather sliders for general wearing in public or CCW. NRA sells them for about 20 bucks or so.
I have a very comfortable nylon one for around the house when I'm just in my jammies.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Diocoles

My dress guns (two) are the ones I shoot best with and feel most comfortable employing if necessary. That said, you can't go wrong with the 1911 if you train with it and put in the time. It's easy to accessorize with interchangeable grips etc. Black on black gun and holster is a classic. Although I used to be a utility fanatic ie stainless and composite (such a classy way to say plastic), as I grow older deep slow rust blueing and warm wood become my taste.

Oh, I do have the bug for that. I love to find grips for my Kimber. I don't mind finding plain ones and staining different colors.

The black with black is nice, but a dark rosewood color on the black pistol is so pretty.

Then you can match your grips to your different holsters as well.

Now wear did I put my polish.... :eek:)