• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"(imagine) what he would do to an everyday citizen who can't defend himself."

Dreamer

"(imagine) what he would do to an everyday citizen who can't defend himself."

A BPD officer was shot by a multiple felon in an attempted "Terry Stop" in Baltimore late Saturday night.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...s-md-ci-officer-shot-20101127,0,7675730.story

The stop was predicated on the following information:

Central District commander Maj. Dennis Smith spotted a man walking awkwardly with his pants sagging to one side, the "classic stance of an armed man," said Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III.
Yeah, baggy pants and a funny walk is DEFINITELY "probable cause". That'll hold up in Court...

I sure hope that John Cleese and Terry Gilliam never go for a walkabout in Baltimore--they're liable to get completely jacked up by BPD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

"This individual pulled a gun and fired on a police officer," said police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. "If he did that to a cop, imagine what he would do to an everyday citizen who can't defend himself. We have an obligation to neutralize that threat."
Perhaps, the MSP should take this statement to heart, and do what EVERY state that borders MD do, and restore the RKBA of their law-abiding citizens, and change their policy for carry permits to Shall Issue.

If there were more law-abiding citizens in MD who could legally carry firearms for self-defense, perhaps these lawless, sociopathic thugs would think twice before spraying bullets in downtown Baltimore every time someone looks at them sideways...

But when you get further into this article, you will discover that the entire article is OBVIOUSLY made-up and completely fabricated, and couldn't have POSSIBLY happened the way they are reporting it. The alleged shooter, Franklin James Gross, has three prior Felony convictions, and is currently on parole for armed robbery, so there is NO WAY he could have legally possessed a firearm. Since EVERYONE knows that all citizens--INCLUDING criminals--follow "gun control" laws, there is simply no way that Mr. Gross could have had a gun, let alone shot a cop in the streets of Baltimore...

So, how's that "gun control" thing and "May Issue" thing working out for ya, Gov. O'Malley, and MSP Commissioner Bealefeld?...

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are so many statements that make one's head spin. A sampling:

Central District commander Maj. Dennis Smith spotted a man walking awkwardly with his pants sagging to one side, the "classic stance of an armed man," said Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III.

Smith radioed an officer closer to the man, who approached him and may have spoken to him before the man began shooting
The District Commander was close enough to observe his walk and the sag of his pants, but needed to radio to an officer that was closer?

Several tactical officers, who patrol the area on weekend evenings, shot at the gunman, firing at least 20 bullets on one city block, police said.

It was not immediately clear how many people were on the street at the time. Bealefeld said most of the shots were fired at fairly close range.
What, nobody bothered to check to see if there were any people on the street?

was peppered with about a dozen bullet holes in the back windshield, trunk and bumper.
So out of at least 20 shots fired on one block, about a dozen hit the car. Where did the others go? (Hold on. Wait for it!)

mi said that there was no evidence that a large crowd was in the area where the officers fired. It was unclear whether they shot at the car when it was moving. The officers who fired on the suspect were part of the SWAT team, and among the most highly trained members of the force, he said.
Again, there was not a "large crowd" in the area. But how about the presence of even a single other person?

the police officers that responded to the incident were highly trained and no innocent lives were put in jeopardy
And how do they know that? I guess the best way to tell is to look afterwards and see if there are any "extra" bodies laying about.

Seriously, I'm not trying to bash the cops that were involved in this running gun battle. they might, or might not, deserve bashing, but that's for a different time and different place.

This is all about rolling on the floor while beating my head against a brick wall over the statements that were released by the BPD and the way the newspaper employee (No, I will not call him/her a reporter.) strung it all together.

And yes, you folks in Maryland really do need to get your situation improved. Some of you - you probably know who you are - are invited to come a bit south into the Old Dominion.

stay safe.

Dreamer

And yes, you folks in Maryland really do need to get your situation improved. Some of you - you probably know who you are - are invited to come a bit south into the Old Dominion.

Yeah, move from Baltimore to Richmond. The crime, government and police are about the same so you'll feel at home, but you can legally carry in VA, so at least you have a fighting chance against the growing "thug class" on the streets... ;)

Actually I love Richmond. It's a very cool city, and I've spent a LOT of time there. I only wish the government would get it's collective head screwed on straight--in the same direction as most of the rest of the state.

Stay Safe...

riverrat10k

Open-carry and city council

Dreamer, we just OC to city council meetings and around City Hall to keep them in line. I also like to walk my dog past my councilperson's home while OC'ing. Back and forth, back and forth. I try to encourage a "deposit" under the mailbox.

Gunslinger

What country is Maryland part of? They need to tightent their gun laws so that only honest citizens are denied the means to protect themselves. The existing laws are doing a great job on felons.

Last edited:

CenTex

Dreamer, we just OC to city council meetings and around City Hall to keep them in line. I also like to walk my dog past my councilperson's home while OC'ing. Back and forth, back and forth. I try to encourage a "deposit" under the mailbox.

Have you been to Redding, CA recently? A deposit was made under my mailbox. I am not a council member . . . anywhere. And, furthermore, this deposit was denied accounts receivable at my bank.

Last edited:

boyscout399

Yeah, baggy pants and a funny walk is DEFINITELY "probable cause". That'll hold up in Court...

They don't need probable cause to initiate a detention. Only need PC for an arrest. You only need a "reasonable suspicion" to initiate a Terry Stop, and a seasoned officer who observes someone with baggy clothes that are sagging to one side would know that is a classic sign of an armed individual. It's almost the exact same situation that was upheld in Terry...

Dreamer

Well, I can see I need to make some modifications to my wardrobe for my future trips to MD...

Le's see:

pants that are 6" too big in the waist---check

fist full of change to put in the right-hand pocket, so my pants will lean a little---check

A voice recorder--check

a VERY good civil rights attorney's phone number in my wallet---check

Now the only thing I need to decide is, would it be worth the risk of taking an unjustifiable ass-whooping from Prince Geroge's County's "finest" just to get PGC-PD to pay for my Masters Degree and my next house... :uhoh:

Last edited:

boyscout399

Well, I can see I need to make some modifications to my wardrobe for my future trips to MD...

Le's see:

pants that are 6" too big in the waist---check

fist full of change to put in the right-hand pocket, so my pants will lean a little---check

A voice recorder--check

a VERY good civil rights attorney's phone number in my wallet---check

Now the only thing I need to decide is, would it be worth the risk of taking an unjustifiable ass-whooping from Prince Geroge's County's "finest" just to get PGC-PD to pay for my Masters Degree and my next house... :uhoh:

Well, if you are walking around with pants that are 6" too big, and a pocket full of change that's not jingling like change, and a seasoned officer sees you, and due to the circumstances, he develops a suspicion that you are armed, and any reasonable officer with the same level of training would reach that same suspicion. Then that officer is acting within the law if he detains you, and frisks you to see if it's a weapon. Now, as soon as he discovers that you are unarmed if he continues the detention, then he is no longer acting within the law. If he starts demanding ID and not letting you go after its established that you aren't illegally armed, he is no longer acting within the law. But he may stop you and frisk you without your consent as long as he has a reasonable suspicion that you are illegally armed.

VAopencarry

Court records reveal his extensive criminal history, which includes three felony convictions for assault, possessing a handgun and armed robbery. Gross was out on parole.

These people in Bmore and MD are so flippin stupid. They will just never see this as a criminal problem but as a gun problem.

Dreamer

These people in Bmore and MD are so flippin stupid. They will just never see this as a criminal problem but as a gun problem.

Maybe if there weren't so many MD LEOs and County Execs in the slammer on Federal Charges, they would have room to house these violent felons, and they wouldn't have to be on a "catch and release" program...