• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Asheville - permit for firearm?

billv

Just checking. I've read a number of posts here on OC and CC in NC.

I live in TX right now but am planning to move to Asheville area in a year or so. We don't have OC here :( but I do have my CC license. I have a SA XDM 45 and use a Serpa or Galco retaining holster when I CC.

I've noticed in a number of threads about permits. I know you need a permit to purchase a handgun in NC (not in TX) and you apply to the Sheriff's office where you reside for your CC permit (which I intend to get once I've established residence). I assume that my TX CC license is valid until I establish residency (which leaves a 90 day period when I can't CC).

Do I need to register or get a permit for my handguns when I move? I certainly hope not - seems to be a violation of 2A.

Also, anyone got any info/experiences on OC'ing in and around A'vile and Black Mountain area and the LEO's attitude on OC?

The no carry in places serving alcohol is lame - needs to be changed. In TX it's anyplace where they get 51% or more revenue from alcohol.

Thanks,

M

mattwestm

I can't comment on Asheville OC, but there are a few members here who haven't had any problems in that area. As far as the pistol purchase permits go, you only need to get one to purchase a handgun. If you are bringing handguns from out of state, there isn't any need for one. The pistol purchase permit thing is stupid. It is left over from Jim Crow laws which tried to prevent minorities from purchasing handguns.

Get your Utah out-of-state CHP so you can CC in NC while you are waiting for the NC CHP to be processed. Or you can just OC :lol:

EDIT: I wanted to add that the Asheville area is a somewhat liberal area of the state, yet no one has had any problems OCing. Good luck with the move!

Last edited:

Oh Shoot

Get your Utah out-of-state CHP so you can CC in NC while you are waiting for the NC CHP to be processed. ...

???
NC honors TX permits. Isn't the TX one good for a while when you move?
Or, do you have to surrender your TX permit when you apply for a NC one?

- OS

billv

???
NC honors TX permits. Isn't the TX one good for a while when you move?
Or, do you have to surrender your TX permit when you apply for a NC one?

- OS

Yes, NC honors TX CC licenses, but is valid only while I'm a resident of TX. Once I become a resident of NC I have to turn it in. Hence the 90 day or so without.

Good idea on getting the UT CC permit. I'll check into it. Thanks,

Northerner

Yes, NC honors TX CC licenses, but is valid only while I'm a resident of TX. Once I become a resident of NC I have to turn it in. Hence the 90 day or so without.

That may actually be 120 days for you (90+30)....

www.ncdoj.com

"The sheriff has ninety (90 )days from the time all application materials are received
to either issue or deny a permit. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.15(a) In order for an
applicant to be approved, he/she must:
.....2. have been a resident of the State of North Carolina for not less than 30
days immediately preceding the filing of the application...."

Attachments

• 2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.pdf
    214.2 KB · Views: 71
M

mattwestm

I'm getting my UT permit soon. I think it's a two hour class with no shooting involved. The fees are a lot less than a NC CHP. Each instructor charges a different fee for the class.

Oh Shoot

Yes, NC honors TX CC licenses, but is valid only while I'm a resident of TX. Once I become a resident of NC I have to turn it in. Hence the 90 day or so without....,

There's no grace period?
In TN you have to have a TN permit after 6 months of residency, but can use your other state's permit during that 6 months. And they don't take your permit when you apply for the TN one so you have plenty of leeway there. Unless you wait most of the 6 months before getting on it.

- OS

Last edited:

billv

That may actually be 120 days for you (90+30)....

www.ncdoj.com

"The sheriff has ninety (90 )days from the time all application materials are received
to either issue or deny a permit. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.15(a) In order for an
applicant to be approved, he/she must:
.....2. have been a resident of the State of North Carolina for not less than 30
days immediately preceding the filing of the application...."

Yes, I need a NC photo id (ie driver license) and that'll take at least 30 days. Don't know residency requirements for that.

M

mattwestm

Yes, I need a NC photo id (ie driver license) and that'll take at least 30 days. Don't know residency requirements for that.

For a NC drivers license, you just need your DL from another state, SS Card, Birth Certificate, and proof of address (bank statement, utility bill). It shouldn't take that long, maybe two weeks or so. That being said, I'm sure you will have more important things to do before worrying about a DL.

Oh Shoot

For a NC drivers license, you just need your DL from another state, SS Card, Birth Certificate, and proof of address (bank statement, utility bill). It shouldn't take that long, maybe two weeks or so. That being said, I'm sure you will have more important things to do before worrying about a DL.

One doesn't need a driver's license to prove residency in any state. Obviously, since not everyone drives for one reason or the other.

Generally, a rent/utils receipt from a date that satisfies whatever length of time necessary. In TN it is immediate for all purposes, including handgun carry permit, in NC apparently it is 30 days, at least for carry permit purposes.

- OS

billv

Actually AZ permit would be easier and accepted in NC. I can use my TX CCW permit as proof that I've completed the required competency class. All I need is fingerprint cards, and a copy of my TX license and a money order for $60, and what ever else they need.