• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first negative OC experience(but with a positive outcome)

Carcharodon

I went to Wal-mart in Neenah today for some TP and a couple pizzas. My friends 7 year old daughter came with me, we were going to the dog park afterwords. As we're walking through the parking lot a truck pulls up and rolls down its window.

Him: Whats with the gun? Why do have it?
Me: For my protection
Him: You a cop or something?
Me: Nope
Him: You cant just carry a gun around! Especially not in a shopping center!
Me: Actually sir, I can, you never know what might happen.
Him: They'll never let you in there.
Me; Sure they will.
He starts blubbering some more lame ****, I continue on towards the store. This guy then drives around me and parks in the fire lane and runs in to tattle on me. He was about 20 steps ahead, I can hear him telling the greeter "this guys got a gun, you're not gonna let him in right?" I walked past and he looked like he was going to grab my shoulder(bad idea on his part) but instead tells me to "hold on". I give him a derisive "humph" and keep walking. The greeter looks at me and leaves as well. He grabs the attention of the next employee and starts up again, I hear "you're just gonna let that guy walk in here with a gun?" and then I'm out of earshot. A second or two later I hear a female voice"sir? excuse me sir?" I stop and an employee walks up, I dont think it was a manager.

Her: Excuse me sir? (not worried or alarmed)
Me: Can I help you?
Her: Are you a police officer?
Me: Absolutely not.
Her: But you have a gun?
Me: Yeah?
Her: who are you?
Me: I'm just a guy buying some toilet paper.
Her: Oh, ok, whatever.
And she walked away.

I finished getting my items, checked out (I never use the automated registers when I'm carrying) and went to the dog park. I thought for sure the guy would've called the cops but either he didn't or they were too slow. Thanks to Wal-Mart for apparently knowing the law and respecting my rights!

Lord Sega

One thing I would have done...

...is while this guy is blubbering to the greeter, gone to either the greeter or the help / return items desk and let them know: "excuse me, but there's a truck illegally parked in the fire lane outside that needs to be towed", then continued with my shopping.

Love how he does something illegal in order to report your legal actions.

Last edited:

Krusty

It's people like that guy who should be given DC tickets.

He was certainly causing a disturbance in which the cops MAY HAVE been called. I believe that is what Madison calls grounds for a DC ticket.

And yes, the WalMart employees are extremely well versed in open carry.

(There should have been a bet of $100 or more as to being allowed to enter the store with a sidearm.)

J.Gleason

Banned
...is while this guy is blubbering to the greeter, gone to either the greeter or the help / return items desk and let them know: "excuse me, but there's a truck illegally parked in the fire lane outside that needs to be towed", then continued with my shopping.

lmfao! Hells yeah!

BROKENSPROKET

I respectfully disagree. I feel he did it perfectly. Go about as if nothing is different. Nothing. No tit for tat. Just go about your business.

The worst that ever happened to me, as I was washing my hands in the men's room at Gander Mt, some guy walks in, looks at my sidearm and shakes his head it utter disgust like I am some flaming idiot. I bit my tongue.

LR Yote 312

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ???

All the news and press we have gotten and The Sheeple still dont know ???

They know full d+mned well its legal and are playing a game by pretending it isnt.
Same games the kiddies play,when you bust them doin somethin wrong.

Like I was told if I broke a law...ignorance is no excuse.

Personally I wouldnt have talked to the driver and ignored him completely.
But thats just me.

LR Yote

J.Gleason

Banned
I respectfully disagree. I feel he did it perfectly. Go about as if nothing is different. Nothing. No tit for tat. Just go about your business.

The worst that ever happened to me, as I was washing my hands in the men's room at Gander Mt, some guy walks in, looks at my sidearm and shakes his head it utter disgust like I am some flaming idiot. I bit my tongue.

He may have been upset that your gun was bigger than his. LOL!

Carcharodon

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ???

Personally I wouldnt have talked to the driver and ignored him completely.
But thats just me.

LR Yote
His first question or two were voiced in a neutral tone, I actually thought for a second he was going to ask some legit questions. I have had genuinely curious people start asking questions the same way, in a Wal-Mart parking lot nonetheless. : )

"The worst that ever happened to me, as I was washing my hands in the men's room at Gander Mt, some guy walks in, looks at my sidearm and shakes his head it utter disgust like I am some flaming idiot. I bit my tongue."

Oh yeah, I got the the head shake too,lol

Last edited:

Krusty

The head shaking idiots are the ones that "know" we have a fantastic police force to protect all of us at a moments notice. Just wait till they need one "at a moments notice" and then listen to the complaining. (If they still can.)

Carry On, Always!

TyGuy

Just buying some toilet paper - LOL

I agree that you did well. It would have been nice if the guy would have been interested in learning about the law, rather than acting like a child, oh well.

Also, +1 on noy using those automated checkouts. I hate those things.

Scan my item.
"Place item in bagging area"
put the item in the bag
"Unknown item, remove from bagging area"
pick the item up
"Place item in bagging area"
put the item in the bag
"unkonwn item, remove from bagging area"
WTF? How is it unknown? You just told me to put it there.

littlewolf

I stopped there today with the wife,got alot of "can I help you find anything?" from the clerks but they only looked at my XD and didn't mention it.
Usually no one even notices your carring.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Call the cops!!!

I would have gone right to the customer service desk and let them know that I was calling the police for two reasons. 1: There a guy over there keeps yelling about guns, he's upsetting everybody. 2: He is parked in the fire lane, absolutely need a ticket.

This would have been a 911 call (because of him repeated saying gun and scaring the customers [including me]).

This is HARASSMENT! and we CANNOT let this type of harassment continue. Anybody every harasses me like that, there will be police called.

M

McX

yet another totaility of circumstances, the knob doing all the shouting should have gotten ticketed for disorderly conduct! (interject shamless knock off of a cellphone comercial here:)Hey, Madison, can you hear me now?.......................good.