• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LTE: Let's keep close tabs on every gun in America

TFred

If only he used his brain for good instead of ridiculous...

I don't even know where to start.

TFred

Let's keep close tabs on every gun in America

For the increased safety of all citizens, America should require registration and annual inspection of every gun, civilian and military, manufactured and sold within and imported into America, just as we do with vehicles. Autos kill. Guns kill.

[...]

Daniel B. McElwain Jr.
Culpeper​

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Lord, I would hardly know where to start. While he presented his idea in a respectful manner (no name calling or denigrating), he is so far off base with his logic....

I don't know. Maybe I've lived too long and seen too much to be turned in this direction. Maybe. Except for the fact that in my youth, I was a left-leaning misguided individual. In retrospect, this was actually a good thing for me because it has allowed me to walk on both sides of the socio-political fence and seen how the other side really thinks: about issues, about our country, and about us.

Of course, I'm sure that once the order has been given, perps and BG's the country over will line up for the registration and licensing of their guns, then we can all join hands in a big circle, sing Kumbaya, share in the world's harvest, and be happy the rest of time.

The real reason for his proposed agenda might be his "slip" in this little part of his letter;

"This inspection system, implemented worldwide, would benefit all."

The ultimate goal of these people is the dissolution of American sovereignty, fusing us all into their utopian One World Order. In such an Order, there is no room for individual liberty, especially something as archaic and potentially dangerous to their ends as an armed populous.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
At first glance I had to ask myself what this had to do with OC. Since Tfred rarely goes off on OT tangents, I read it.

It really does relate to OC when you start thinking about how they'd pull that off.

One of my concerns with the trend in CHP's is that it's gun owner registration. If you have a CHP, you have a gun.

This isn't unrealistic since places like the City of Richmond, did just that before Shall issue.

SouthernBoy

At first glance I had to ask myself what this had to do with OC. Since Tfred rarely goes off on OT tangents, I read it.

It really does relate to OC when you start thinking about how they'd pull that off.

One of my concerns with the trend in CHP's is that it's gun owner registration. If you have a CHP, you have a gun.

This isn't unrealistic since places like the City of Richmond, did just that before Shall issue.

Not really in the strict sense, however they do have a record when you have a CHP. For them to get to our guns, the state would have to pass laws requiring registration/licensing and I don't see that coming out of our general assembly. Still, this is a very good argument for conducting private sales for some "items" you might want to have that neither the state or the feds would know about.

spitfyr

The ultimate goal of these people is the dissolution of American sovereignty, fusing us all into their utopian One World Order. In such an Order, there is no room for individual liberty, especially something as archaic and potentially dangerous to their ends as an armed populous.

No offense intended but don't you mean "populace" (noun meaning 'all the inhabitants of a place') not "populous" (adjective meaning 'heavily populated')? ;-)

Repeater

Say, how about GPS tracking, too?

If only he used his brain for good instead of ridiculous...

TFred

Let's keep close tabs on every gun in America

For the increased safety of all citizens, America should require registration and annual inspection of every gun, civilian and military, manufactured and sold within and imported into America, just as we do with vehicles. Autos kill. Guns kill.

[...]

Daniel B. McElwain Jr.
Culpeper​

Maybe Daniel B. McElwain Jr. would approve of GPS tracking, too -- keeping tabs, right?

230therapy

The immediate benefits of this new policy would be: (1) to reduce the number of murders by guns in America, and (2) to severely curtail illegal gun exports to and imports from other countries.

1) This has been shown to be false in (formerly) Great Britain and many cities and states around the country, such as Washington DC. Washington DC had a handgun ban until 2008 and the crime stats are easy to find and interpret.

2) The island nation of (formerly) Great Britain is unable to prevent the flow of illegal weapons across its borders. Mexico prohibits firearm ownership, yet the cartels easily import military weapons such as automatic rifles, mortars and grenades. How does the law stop this?

The US State Department exports many weapons and accessories to foreign countries, including Mexico. The numbers are published online. Furthermore, control of these weapons is tenuous at best. The person who we give the weapons to is not required to provide proof of where the weapons went. We lose all control once the shipment is handed over.

ocholsteroc

Sure you can keep tabs on my guns, first you need to keep tabs on everyone who buys a knife, everyone who buys a fork, everyone who buys a lawnmower, and every one who buys a chainsaw, then maybe I will think about it......................... Oh yes and any other object that might hamful to my health, safety of others as well, rope, a brick... The list is so long I do not have time to post it :)

You might want to keep tabs on how much gas I have stored as well, thats a fire safety matter...

If people want 'gun free lifes and gun free country' move to another country, do not screw this one up. Go tell me how it is in a gun free country where the criminals have all the rights and bother everyone who does NOT have a gun.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

fully_armed_biker

Oh yeah....Murders committed with guns would cease immediately because the criminals will line up faithfully, once a year, to have their guns inspected and registered...because if there is one thing criminals do...it's obey the law. Oh wait a second....a criminal, by definition, is someone that doesn't obey the law...never mind! :banghead:

Simply put...Mr McElwain of Culpeper, VA is an idiot!

SouthernBoy

Sure you can keep tabs on my guns, first you need to keep tabs on everyone who buys a knife, everyone who buys a fork, everyone who buys a lawnmower, and every one who buys a chainsaw, then maybe I will think about it......................... Oh yes and any other object that might hamful to my health, safety of others as well, rope, a brick... The list is so long I do not have time to post it :)

You might want to keep tabs on how much gas I have stored as well, thats a fire safety matter...

If people want 'gun free lifes and gun free country' move to another country, do not screw this one up. Go tell me how it is in a gun free country where the criminals have all the rights and bother everyone who does NOT have a gun.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Don't forget those assault grandmothers.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=2182296

sidestreet

I guess I missed something...

Really sad and disappointing to know we had something like this (something = misguided individual in question) in a branch of our military commanding armed personnel.

Okay, help me out here, please bring me up to date. How is it we know that we had something like this particular(M.I.I.Q.) in a branch of our military commanding armed personnel? I didn't go through all of the comments on Fredtalk, so I'm guessing I've overlooked a bio somewhere.

Personally, I thought that the letter might have been written by a third grader as some sort of social studies project with a little help from an anti-gun mommy.

I think the part that pi$$es me off so much is that crap about the American public being held responsible for every weapon we manufacture , buy, or own. Wutchoo' talkin' 'bout, Dan?

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

SouthernBoy

Okay, help me out here, please bring me up to date. How is it we know that we had something like this particular(M.I.I.Q.) in a branch of our military commanding armed personnel? I didn't go through all of the comments on Fredtalk, so I'm guessing I've overlooked a bio somewhere.

It appears that it is I who is in error and who owes an apology to my fellow OCDO members. Somehow I must have gotten the impression the writer of that article was former military. I have met a few military and LEO's who are against firearms in general and private ownership in particular. However with my post, I believe I mispoke.

Sorry gentlemen.

possumboy

I always shake my head with someone talks about "vehicles" and "Autos". You are not required to register, have inspection, or even report cars/trucks if you do not take them off of private property. Heck, you can put a Farm Use tag (hand written) and drive limited distances from your property on public roads in several states.

You cannot be given a ticket for most things on private property in relations to cars. All those stop signs around malls are not enforceable - they are just there for safety.

I also do not see how people can relate a privilege (car ownership) to a right that is older than cars.

AtackDuck

It appears that it is I who is in error and who owes an apology to my fellow OCDO members. Somehow I must have gotten the impression the writer of that article was former military. I have met a few military and LEO's who are against firearms in general and private ownership in particular. However with my post, I believe I mispoke.

Sorry gentlemen.

Actually, he is a retired Lt. Col. ( confirmed in the comments by those that know him) and yes it does read like a little kid being coached by Dennis Hennigan. I really got good laugh out it. Such self imposed ignorance however, is sad. Some of the anti-gun rights commentors are learning and leaving out the usual "militia" and other idiot topics that get torn to pieces.

One good idea is in comments, to have firearms training required for all in schools. That would kill the argument about "people should have training to buy firearms."