• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

These cases could help non-residents in Michigan

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Peterson v. LaCabe (Colorado)
Peterson v. LaCabe is a federal lawsuit challenging the licensing practices in Denver, Colorado and affects not only "local" laws but state law.
Gray Peterson, the plaintiff, is a resident of Washington state and holds a Washington state concealed carry permit as well as a Florida non-resident permit. Mr. Peterson applied for and was denied a Colorado Concealed Handgun License (CHL).

Colorado, like Michigan does not issue CHLs to non-residents, but allows residents of states that have a resident CPL to carry concealed. The suit alleges that by not issuing Mr. Peterson a permit or to extend reciprocity to either of his other permits (Washington's is not recognized at all, Florida permit is non-resident and on that basis is not recognized by Colorado), the state has denied due process, equal protection, and other protections granted by the constitution.
http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.cod.117112/gov.uscourts.cod.117112.1.0.pdf

Also, currently being argued is the case Mishaga v. Monken (Illinois)
This federal lawsuit is attempting to overturn Illinois's residency requirement on the possession of firearms. Illinois, like Michigan, allows citizens from states that have a license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol (registration) to possess a pistol within the state (this does not allow concealed carry ie possession in an automobile unless one of the exceptions eg ... to a place they may legally possess the firearm).

http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.ilcd.49772/gov.uscourts.ilcd.49772.1.0.pdf

Update: Summary Dismissal Denied

http://www.scribd.com/doc/43697905/Mishaga-v-Monken-Opinion-Denying-Motion-to-Dismiss

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Looks interesting...

I have not seen these on MGO (Michigan Gun Owners). Would you mind this information posted there as well (with H/T to you)?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Looks interesting...

I have not seen these on MGO (Michigan Gun Owners). Would you mind this information posted there as well (with H/T to you)?

You may post the information... it's public and citation is NOT needed. You, or anyone else, may even use my wording if you want or change it as you see fit.