• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlotte Harris Teeter - My first "confrontation" about open cary with "security"

somerandomguy

Charlotte Harris Teeter - My first "confrontation" about open cary with "security"

I first posted this on AR15.com and several people suggested that i post here. So... here I am. I have been lurking for a while and finally registered. Figured you guys would be interested. Minor edits to the intro and adds to this original post from my responses, but all in all it's a copy and paste job from my post at ARCOM.

I normally conceal carry 99% of the time but I just happened to be in dress clothes with my shirt tucked in so i just strapped my IWB holster on and put my M&P 9c into it after work and went to my local Harris Teeter off of University City Blvd and E WT Harris in Charlotte to buy some beer on my way home. Anyway, was in the mood for a light wheat beer so i picked up some Blue Moon on sale and checked out at the self checkout. Apparently the guy at the front of the self checkout had seen me walk in and thought i was breaking company policy/law/etc. As I was ringing up and getting out my ID to show the guy at the front, security walked up and asked me if i was law enforcement or something. I said, "No, I'm just a law abiding citizen." I was then told that i just couldn't come in with a firearm.

Long story short, this is pretty much what happened:

"you can't just come in here"
"Yes I can"
"No, you can't"
"Yes I can"
"No you can't"
etc, etc, etc
"Yes, it is legal and the company policy was changed"
"There are signs up saying you can't"
"Not that I am aware of. No offense to you guys, but I will not shop here if i can't carry"

I told them i would just pay for my stuff(I had already rang it up) and leave. Anyway, to their defense, they called up the manager who said that they couldn't do anything if it was not concealed(Which is incorrect anyway, concealed or not, I was within the law and company policy.) But anyway, they changed their tone quickly and were pretty cool with it as i was leaving.

They were kind of incredulous and slightly aggressive at the beginning but then calmed down in the middle and end. The security guy was smiling and the second guy who is up at the front monitoring the self checkout stated that he didn't care and that everything was fine at the end so it all worked out. I'm a little annoyed i was hassled but happy that there is a little more carry knowledge out there now. The security guy was positive that the signs were still up but was incorrect.

I'm not sure exactly what the manager said, she said it in low tones but loud enough for me and the people involved to hear. She seemed kind of annoyed to be bothered. I just heard something about not being concealed and that I was fine. So, idk.

Just thought i'd share my quick story and first encounter with anybody questioning my right to carry in a store.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Good to know that Harris Teeter actually has the correct policy.

I OC in Harris Teeter here in VA on a regular basis. I've never had an issue, but I was unsure if that were to do with the presence or lack of a specific policy.

Last edited:

Jerry1981

I shop at that Harris teeter all the time I love it there they are open 24/7 and there is always hot girls there from UNCC and just in general but I have not Open Carried there yet. We shall see plus Im applying for my NCHP on Tuesday so hopefully I will have that option as well in the future.

Last edited:

NCjones

"yes I can"..."no you can't"..."yes I can"..."no you can't"..."yes I can"..."no you can't"..."yes I can"..."no you can't"..."yes I can"..."no you can't"..."yes I can"..."no you can't"..

Did you stick your tongue out at him also?

ZRazor

Harris Teeter

Good to know that Harris Teeter actually has the correct policy.

I OC in Harris Teeter here in VA on a regular basis. I've never had an issue, but I was unsure if that were to do with the presence or lack of a specific policy.

Harris Teeter has a company policy prohibiting firearms in all stores and warehouses by employees and vendors. The employee probably was aware that company policy prohibits the employee from having firearms. That restriction does not apply to customers, especially after the stickers posted early in 2010 that was successfully lobbied against by the GRNC that caused the company to remove said stickers within a month of them appearing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Harris Teeter has a company policy prohibiting firearms in all stores and warehouses by employees and vendors. The employee probably was aware that company policy prohibits the employee from having firearms. That restriction does not apply to customers, especially after the stickers posted early in 2010 that was successfully lobbied against by the GRNC that caused the company to remove said stickers within a month of them appearing.

This problem did indeed surface just about a year ago. Harris-Teeter in Charlotte headquarters were quick to reverse the decision. I would follow up with them just to put the final dot at the end of the affair. Their address is on this original thread.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ALEIGH-POSTED-NO-GUNS&highlight=harris-teeter