• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of a Cap Gun Near The President in Years Past - How Times Have Changed

wrightme

Oh-for-Pete's-sake-lighten-up people!

I posted it for fun!

If you want to be technical - the picture DOES show someone OPEN CARRYING (even though it's probably a cap gun) within spitting distance of the President (or candidate for President) of the US.

I figured the picture would get a few laughs, along with comments about safe gun handling, how un-PC it is these days for a kid to have a (toy) gun, how the Secret Service today would freak, etc.

It's offensive? Sheesh.

Lighten up.

IBTL.
Yes, it IS about "Open Carry." Today, not even a capgun would likely be allowed to be openly carried that close to POTUS. It is an exclusion area, where Open Carry would not be possible.

(and not offensive in the least.)

JackOR

Just to be clear.

This post has nothing to do with open carry. It is offensive.

I suggest you remove it.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

Anyway, I believe that at this time the Secret Service was not commissioned to protect presidential candidates, per; "In 1968, as a result of presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy's assassination, Congress authorized protection of major presidential and vice presidential candidates and nominees"

Hopefully it's just a cap gun, he is pointing it at his head...lol

Dave_pro2a

That looks like a campaign photo. He ran for Pres in 1960 so that means it was still legal to:

Buy a brand new machine gun
Mail order pistols and rifles
Ship guns via USPS
Buy silencers without tax stamps
Create your own SBS and SBR
Even felons could own guns

Freedom lost.

Dave_pro2a

Just to be clear.

This post has nothing to do with open carry. It is offensive.

I suggest you remove it.

So you're the secret moderator we haven't heard anything about.

Opps, my bad. You're just a self appointed thread cop.

thread_police_badge.jpg

Thank you for your service Sir.

[/sarcasm]

cbpeck

Oh-for-Pete's-sake-lighten-up people!

I posted it for fun!

If you want to be technical - the picture DOES show someone OPEN CARRYING (even though it's probably a cap gun) within spitting distance of the President (or candidate for President) of the US.

I figured the picture would get a few laughs, along with comments about safe gun handling, how un-PC it is these days for a kid to have a (toy) gun, how the Secret Service today would freak, etc.

It's offensive? Sheesh.

Lighten up.

IBTL.

+ 1

The photo is funny & I, for one, appreciated it being posted.

The only thing remotely offensive in the photo is the kid pointing the cap gun at himself. I wouldn't want my kid doing that with anything that even resembled a gun.

amlevin

+ 1

The photo is funny & I, for one, appreciated it being posted.

The only thing remotely offensive in the photo is the kid pointing the cap gun at himself. I wouldn't want my kid doing that with anything that even resembled a gun.

I too noticed that and wondered if anyone else did. For all we know, the "gun" could have been made of licorice and he was just standing there licking it.

Was "funny" right up to when the thread devolved to a "p!$$!ng match.

HK_dave

the public posting of an IM is way more offensive than that pic could ever be. private means private...

PT111

I didn't see a blankity-blank thin offensive about the picture and it was A lot more on topic than the rest of this horse hockey being spewed on here. I am afraid that theis forum has reached its maximum benefit to the OC and Gun-Rights movement as it is fast becoming a ******* match between a few people demonstrating perfectly the opinions of the Brady Bunch that we are all just a bunch of crazy gun nuts.

I have really enjoyed this forum over the past few years and I don't plan on going anywhere but things are a lot different than they were even a year ago and it isn't for the better. It seems that some people are either so full of hatred or themselves that they can't even read anymore and the whole OC movement is secondary to their personal opinions of themselves.

.45ACPaddy

I didn't see a blankity-blank thin offensive about the picture and it was A lot more on topic than the rest of this horse hockey being spewed on here. I am afraid that theis forum has reached its maximum benefit to the OC and Gun-Rights movement as it is fast becoming a ******* match between a few people demonstrating perfectly the opinions of the Brady Bunch that we are all just a bunch of crazy gun nuts.

I have really enjoyed this forum over the past few years and I don't plan on going anywhere but things are a lot different than they were even a year ago and it isn't for the better. It seems that some people are either so full of hatred or themselves that they can't even read anymore and the whole OC movement is secondary to their personal opinions of themselves.

+9001