Add 2 oz. Vodka
    4 shakes ea. Tabasco and Worcestershire
    1 tsp prepared horseradish.
    add a dash of salt and pepper to taste
    fill glass with tomato juice
    garnish with lime wedge and olive
    shake, pour, serve

enjoy
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 11-30-2010 at 02:41 AM.

I've never had one, but that sounds strangely excellent. I am a fan of the redeye though.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I've never had one, but that sounds strangely excellent. I am a fan of the redeye though.
    it's a cocktail and a snack in one.

While that is a fine cocktail, substitute Clamato for the tomato juice, and you have yourself a Ceasar. Don't forget to rim the glass with celery salt.

hot and spicy V-8 juice

This is my personal Bloody Mary recipe that we've used for our traditional New Years Day brunches. Usually, we also make Welsh Rarebit, or Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon for the brunch...

It is my opinion that the Bloody Mary is perhaps the most "culinary" of all mixed drinks, because there are endless variations on how they are made, how they taste, and how strong they are. Funny thing is, I've rarely had a good Bloody Mary in a restaurant or hotel--they are usually too strong on the alcohol side, or have weak, insipid, bland tomato juice. I've had just about every commercially available "mix" and most of them are pretty bland. A few make a good "starting point" but you need to really build them up with additional tomato juice, spices, and flavorings to REALLY get a good Bloody Mary.

Like any sort of "cooking", you just can't approach perfection if you're using a "mix"...

Put several handfulls of crushed ice in a pitcher.

Fill the pitcher half way with Major Peters Bloody Mary mix. Fill it the rest of the way with V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable juice.

Add several shots of Tabasco (to taste).

Squeeze half a lemon into the pitcher.

Take a toothpick, and dip it about halfway into a bottle of Daves Insanity Hot sauce. Let the excess drip off the toothpick, and then swirl the toothpick in the pitcher, mixing it in well.

Add Celery Salt and pepper to taste.

Stir well.

Rim some pint glasses with celery salt.

Pour into pint glasses, ice and all.

Stick a whole stalk of fresh, COLD celery in each glass.

(For those who like a little more "zing", sometimes I'll float one or two peperoncini rings on top of the drink.)

Don't plan on driving anywhere for a few hours...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 11-30-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This is my personal Bloody Mary recipe that we've used for our traditional New Years Day brunches. Usually, we also make Welsh Rarebit, or Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon for the brunch...

It is my opinion that the Bloody Mary is perhaps the most "culinary" of all mixed drinks, because there are endless variations on how they are made, how they taste, and how strong they are. Funny thing is, I've rarely had a good Bloody Mary in a restaurant or hotel--they are usually too strong on the alcohol side, or have weak, insipid, bland tomato juice. I've had just about every commercially available "mix" and most of them are pretty bland. A few make a good "starting point" but you need to really build them up with additional tomato juice, spices, and flavorings to REALLY get a good Bloody Mary.

Like any sort of "cooking", you just can't approach perfection if you're using a "mix"...

Fill the pitcher half way with Major Peters Bloody Mary mix. Fill it the rest of the way with V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable juice.

Take a toothpick, and dip it about halfway into a bottle of Daves Insanity Hot sauce. Let the excess drip off the toothpick, and then swirl the toothpick in the pitcher, mixing it in well.

Stir well.

(For those who like a little more "zing", sometimes I'll float one or two peperoncini rings on top of the drink.)

That sounds pretty good. Although, I've got to wonder how bad that hot sauce is if you just let the excess of a toothpick drip off.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

That sounds pretty good. Although, I've got to wonder how bad that hot sauce is if you just let the excess of a toothpick drip off.

Daves Insanity Sauce is rated at 180,000 Scoville units (compared with 2,500-5,000 for Tabasco sauce).

And thats not the hottest sauce this company makes, by a long shot...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Stir well.

That actually sounds good Dreamer, and I wonder if Daves Insanity Hot sauce might be partially to blame for your condition. That said your recipe is missing one ingredient that might make driving a poor choice. A bowel movement might be painful though.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

V-8, ice cubes, dash of tabasco sauce and vodka- stir. Serve with clery stalk
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    V-8, ice cubes, dash of tabasco sauce and vodka- stir. Serve with clery stalk
    Yep, just don't switch the tabasco and several shots of vodka, or you'll need ice at the end.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    That actually sounds good Dreamer, and I wonder if Daves Insanity Hot sauce might be partially to blame for your condition. That said your recipe is missing one ingredient that might make driving a poor choice. A bowel movement might be painful though.

Oh yeah, the Vodka...

I just thought that ingredient was an assumed constituent...

Actually, when I make Bloody Mary's by the pitcher, I don't put the vodka in with the other ingredients. I put in in the individual glasses, and then pour the juice/ice mixture roughly into it. (The vodka has been pre-chilled in the freezer). This way I can more precisely control the amount of liquor in each individual drink.

Some folks like it strong, some, not so much...

Vodka serving for a pint glass of Bloody Mary can range from half a shot to 2 shots+, depending on the amount of liver damage the drinker is willing to accept...

The "heat" comes from a three-pronged attack. The spicy V8 gives you the low-intensity, warming heat, the Tabasco gives you the majority of the "pow" in the form of in-your-face heat, and the tiny bit of DIS is for the "after you've swallowed--it sneaks up on you" heat that doesn't kick in until the 2nd or 3rd sip, and makes you want to take another yummy sip of ice-cold tomatoey goodness--which just makes things worse...

Or better, if you're a spice fanatic like me.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 12-05-2010 at 11:44 PM.
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Oh yeah, the Vodka...

Actually, when I make Bloody Mary's by the pitcher, I don't put the vodka in with the other ingredients. I put in in the individual glasses, and then pour the juice/ice mixture roughly into it. (The vodka has been pre-chilled in the freezer). This way I can more precisely control the amount of liquor in each individual drink.

Vodka serving for a pint glass of Bloody Mary can range from half a shot to 2 shots+, depending on the amount of liver damage the drinker is willing to accept...

The "heat" comes from a three-pronged attack. The spicy V8 gives you the low-intensity, warming heat, the Tabasco gives you the majority of the "pow" in the form of in-your-face heat, and the tiny bit of DIS is for the "after you've swallowed--it sneaks up on you" heat that doesn't kick in until the 2nd or 3rd sip, and makes you want to take another yummy sip of ice-cold tomatoey goodness--which just makes things worse...

My favorite hot wings are the ones that are just painful and flavorful enough to keep eating and know you're an idiot for doing it. I get the feeling I would love this recipe.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Daves Insanity Sauce is rated at 180,000 Scoville units (compared with 2,500-5,000 for Tabasco sauce).

And thats not the hottest sauce this company makes, by a long shot...
    Please tell me that graph is exponential in nature, and not linear...

Otherwise, that's just ridiculous.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Centurion
    No one has said it yet, so I will:

Recipe for bloody mary

find someone named mary
    beat "Mary" until Mary is bloody

you now have a Bloody Mary!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    No one has said it yet, so I will:

Recipe for bloody mary

find someone named mary
    beat "Mary" until Mary is bloody

you now have a Bloody Mary!
    Joe, that's really in poor taste...

...pun intended.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Oh yeah, the Vodka...

I actually thought you mistakenly wrote several shots of tabasco instead of vodka. That's actually a really good idea to add the vodka to the glasses individually. I'm going to have to try your recipe this New Years, since I find BM's to be good tonic for hangovers. I'm definately not the spice fanatic you are though.

I also heard a story about a clown who won $20 on a bet that he couldn't do a shot of DIS. The cost of his emergency room visit far exceeded $20 though.

Centurion
    Joe, that's really in poor taste...

...pun intended.

And taken as it was intended! LOL

I was under the impression that the original Bloody Mary was made with beer rather than liquor.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Quote Originally Posted by Thos.Jefferson View Post
    I was under the impression that the original Bloody Mary was made with beer rather than liquor.
    I know that as a Redeye, which I am a fan of and mentioned in a previous post. To me, the Bloody Mary is a vodka mix.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member