• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloody Mary, share your recipe

Nevada carrier

fill one 16 ounce tumbler 2/4 full with ice
Add 2 oz. Vodka
4 shakes ea. Tabasco and Worcestershire
1 tsp prepared horseradish.
add a dash of salt and pepper to taste
fill glass with tomato juice
garnish with lime wedge and olive
shake, pour, serve

enjoy

Last edited:

buster81

While that is a fine cocktail, substitute Clamato for the tomato juice, and you have yourself a Ceasar. Don't forget to rim the glass with celery salt.

Dreamer

This is my personal Bloody Mary recipe that we've used for our traditional New Years Day brunches. Usually, we also make Welsh Rarebit, or Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon for the brunch...

It is my opinion that the Bloody Mary is perhaps the most "culinary" of all mixed drinks, because there are endless variations on how they are made, how they taste, and how strong they are. Funny thing is, I've rarely had a good Bloody Mary in a restaurant or hotel--they are usually too strong on the alcohol side, or have weak, insipid, bland tomato juice. I've had just about every commercially available "mix" and most of them are pretty bland. A few make a good "starting point" but you need to really build them up with additional tomato juice, spices, and flavorings to REALLY get a good Bloody Mary.

Like any sort of "cooking", you just can't approach perfection if you're using a "mix"...

Put several handfulls of crushed ice in a pitcher.

Fill the pitcher half way with Major Peters Bloody Mary mix. Fill it the rest of the way with V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable juice.

Add several shots of Tabasco (to taste).

Squeeze half a lemon into the pitcher.

Take a toothpick, and dip it about halfway into a bottle of Daves Insanity Hot sauce. Let the excess drip off the toothpick, and then swirl the toothpick in the pitcher, mixing it in well.

Add Celery Salt and pepper to taste.

Stir well.

Rim some pint glasses with celery salt.

Pour into pint glasses, ice and all.

Stick a whole stalk of fresh, COLD celery in each glass.

(For those who like a little more "zing", sometimes I'll float one or two peperoncini rings on top of the drink.)

Don't plan on driving anywhere for a few hours...

Last edited:

sultan62

This is my personal Bloody Mary recipe that we've used for our traditional New Years Day brunches. Usually, we also make Welsh Rarebit, or Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon for the brunch...

It is my opinion that the Bloody Mary is perhaps the most "culinary" of all mixed drinks, because there are endless variations on how they are made, how they taste, and how strong they are. Funny thing is, I've rarely had a good Bloody Mary in a restaurant or hotel--they are usually too strong on the alcohol side, or have weak, insipid, bland tomato juice. I've had just about every commercially available "mix" and most of them are pretty bland. A few make a good "starting point" but you need to really build them up with additional tomato juice, spices, and flavorings to REALLY get a good Bloody Mary.

Like any sort of "cooking", you just can't approach perfection if you're using a "mix"...

Fill the pitcher half way with Major Peters Bloody Mary mix. Fill it the rest of the way with V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable juice.

Take a toothpick, and dip it about halfway into a bottle of Daves Insanity Hot sauce. Let the excess drip off the toothpick, and then swirl the toothpick in the pitcher, mixing it in well.

Stir well.

(For those who like a little more "zing", sometimes I'll float one or two peperoncini rings on top of the drink.)

That sounds pretty good. Although, I've got to wonder how bad that hot sauce is if you just let the excess of a toothpick drip off. :uhoh:

Dreamer

That sounds pretty good. Although, I've got to wonder how bad that hot sauce is if you just let the excess of a toothpick drip off. :uhoh:

Daves Insanity Sauce is rated at 180,000 Scoville units (compared with 2,500-5,000 for Tabasco sauce).

And thats not the hottest sauce this company makes, by a long shot... :shocker:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Stir well.

That actually sounds good Dreamer, and I wonder if Daves Insanity Hot sauce might be partially to blame for your condition. That said your recipe is missing one ingredient that might make driving a poor choice. A bowel movement might be painful though.

Dreamer

That actually sounds good Dreamer, and I wonder if Daves Insanity Hot sauce might be partially to blame for your condition. That said your recipe is missing one ingredient that might make driving a poor choice. A bowel movement might be painful though.

Oh yeah, the Vodka...

I just thought that ingredient was an assumed constituent... ;)

Actually, when I make Bloody Mary's by the pitcher, I don't put the vodka in with the other ingredients. I put in in the individual glasses, and then pour the juice/ice mixture roughly into it. (The vodka has been pre-chilled in the freezer). This way I can more precisely control the amount of liquor in each individual drink.

Some folks like it strong, some, not so much...

Vodka serving for a pint glass of Bloody Mary can range from half a shot to 2 shots+, depending on the amount of liver damage the drinker is willing to accept...

The "heat" comes from a three-pronged attack. The spicy V8 gives you the low-intensity, warming heat, the Tabasco gives you the majority of the "pow" in the form of in-your-face heat, and the tiny bit of DIS is for the "after you've swallowed--it sneaks up on you" heat that doesn't kick in until the 2nd or 3rd sip, and makes you want to take another yummy sip of ice-cold tomatoey goodness--which just makes things worse...

Or better, if you're a spice fanatic like me.

Last edited:

sultan62

Oh yeah, the Vodka...

Actually, when I make Bloody Mary's by the pitcher, I don't put the vodka in with the other ingredients. I put in in the individual glasses, and then pour the juice/ice mixture roughly into it. (The vodka has been pre-chilled in the freezer). This way I can more precisely control the amount of liquor in each individual drink.

Vodka serving for a pint glass of Bloody Mary can range from half a shot to 2 shots+, depending on the amount of liver damage the drinker is willing to accept...

The "heat" comes from a three-pronged attack. The spicy V8 gives you the low-intensity, warming heat, the Tabasco gives you the majority of the "pow" in the form of in-your-face heat, and the tiny bit of DIS is for the "after you've swallowed--it sneaks up on you" heat that doesn't kick in until the 2nd or 3rd sip, and makes you want to take another yummy sip of ice-cold tomatoey goodness--which just makes things worse...

My favorite hot wings are the ones that are just painful and flavorful enough to keep eating and know you're an idiot for doing it. I get the feeling I would love this recipe.

sultan62

Daves Insanity Sauce is rated at 180,000 Scoville units (compared with 2,500-5,000 for Tabasco sauce).

And thats not the hottest sauce this company makes, by a long shot... :shocker:

Please tell me that graph is exponential in nature, and not linear...

Otherwise, that's just ridiculous.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Oh yeah, the Vodka...

I actually thought you mistakenly wrote several shots of tabasco instead of vodka. That's actually a really good idea to add the vodka to the glasses individually. I'm going to have to try your recipe this New Years, since I find BM's to be good tonic for hangovers. I'm definately not the spice fanatic you are though.

I also heard a story about a clown who won $20 on a bet that he couldn't do a shot of DIS. The cost of his emergency room visit far exceeded $20 though.