Thread: First OC

First OC

Played hooky from work yesterday, texted wife 'let's go shoot some'. Got home, geared up, drove to Walmart on Rainbow/LakeMead about 1:30 to grab some more ammo. There was none to be found so we headed to American shooters. On the way home stopped by Lowes to grab some odds and ends. All in all a great experience, only a couple of sideways glances. I just kept thinking about Barry Sanders; act like you've been there before.

Welcome aboard.

TBG

I find as the more and more comfortable with carry you get, the less people notice. To the ones that do, beat them in a game of logic.

"Oh my, why are you carrying that?"

"Why wouldn't I want to defend myself/Why wouldn't i take my personal safety into my own hands"

Simple reverse questions get a person thinking. Or simply ask... "If something were to happen right now, how would you defend yourself until the cops get here?" Then tell them you rather not be a victim.

I think most people draw attention to themselves at first because the world makes carrying feel unnatural.

28kfps
    My wife and I was doing a little black Friday shopping open carrying in several stores, no problems. However been in most of them before just not as crowed.

I never seem to run into resistance from the employees of any business, it always seems to come from security guards who work for contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    I never seem to run into resistance from the employees of any business, it always seems to come from security guards who work for contractors.
    Same. However I once had a Target Security gaurd ask me for me "permit to carry" (funny beinf nevada is an open carry state). I ask him that would be like me asking ot see his license for him to drive his car. I informed him that he is not a cop and not allowed to do that, and secondly Nevada is an open carry state. He pushed it further by saying I needed to do what he stated since I was on private property. He chilled when I asked for the name and number of the store manager.

nice job

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMike View Post
    Same. However I once had a Target Security gaurd ask me for me "permit to carry" (funny beinf nevada is an open carry state). I ask him that would be like me asking ot see his license for him to drive his car. I informed him that he is not a cop and not allowed to do that, and secondly Nevada is an open carry state. He pushed it further by saying I needed to do what he stated since I was on private property. He chilled when I asked for the name and number of the store manager.
    I know some secruity gaurds,and not all but some just like to see how far they can push there what little authority they have around

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMike View Post
    Good Job ! +1 Robin47

Everyone on here told me the same thing, the more you do it, the less folks notice. Its true, I have been OC'ing for a month or two now, and at this point its just like putting my wallet in my pocket. There are a few times I don't carry, but other than that its always there, and I have had great success, and really no bad experiences thus far. People have been very curious, but @ the same time, seem very comfortable.
    Another thing is how few people actually notice my sidearm, I carry a 1911 so its not like its a tiny piece or anything.

Rock on with it!!