• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC

tonnere

Played hooky from work yesterday, texted wife 'let's go shoot some'. Got home, geared up, drove to Walmart on Rainbow/LakeMead about 1:30 to grab some more ammo. There was none to be found so we headed to American shooters. On the way home stopped by Lowes to grab some odds and ends. All in all a great experience, only a couple of sideways glances. I just kept thinking about Barry Sanders; act like you've been there before.

MilitaryMike

I find as the more and more comfortable with carry you get, the less people notice. To the ones that do, beat them in a game of logic.

"Oh my, why are you carrying that?"

"Why wouldn't I want to defend myself/Why wouldn't i take my personal safety into my own hands"

Simple reverse questions get a person thinking. Or simply ask... "If something were to happen right now, how would you defend yourself until the cops get here?" Then tell them you rather not be a victim.

I think most people draw attention to themselves at first because the world makes carrying feel unnatural.

28kfps

My wife and I was doing a little black Friday shopping open carrying in several stores, no problems. However been in most of them before just not as crowed.

MilitaryMike

I never seem to run into resistance from the employees of any business, it always seems to come from security guards who work for contractors.

Same. However I once had a Target Security gaurd ask me for me "permit to carry" (funny beinf nevada is an open carry state). I ask him that would be like me asking ot see his license for him to drive his car. I informed him that he is not a cop and not allowed to do that, and secondly Nevada is an open carry state. He pushed it further by saying I needed to do what he stated since I was on private property. He chilled when I asked for the name and number of the store manager.

crzyjarmans

nice job

Same. However I once had a Target Security gaurd ask me for me "permit to carry" (funny beinf nevada is an open carry state). I ask him that would be like me asking ot see his license for him to drive his car. I informed him that he is not a cop and not allowed to do that, and secondly Nevada is an open carry state. He pushed it further by saying I needed to do what he stated since I was on private property. He chilled when I asked for the name and number of the store manager.

I know some secruity gaurds,and not all but some just like to see how far they can push there what little authority they have around

Robin47

Good Job ! +1 Robin47

blugreenformula

Everyone on here told me the same thing, the more you do it, the less folks notice. Its true, I have been OC'ing for a month or two now, and at this point its just like putting my wallet in my pocket. There are a few times I don't carry, but other than that its always there, and I have had great success, and really no bad experiences thus far. People have been very curious, but @ the same time, seem very comfortable.
Another thing is how few people actually notice my sidearm, I carry a 1911 so its not like its a tiny piece or anything.

Rock on with it!!