• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which sign offers more deterrence?

Dave Workman

"...The sign, which bears the SPD logo, simply reads “Nothing to steal but this sign. Please don’t steal the sign.” Well, golly, it does say “please...."

"... SAF’s message tells would-be thieves “The owner of this property is armed and prepared to protect life, liberty and property from criminal attack. There is nothing inside worth risking your life for!”
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...gainst-crime-whose-wisdom-prevails-spd-or-saf

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/289zlpw

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I must say I am always fascinated by those who have bumper stickers on their cars or stickers on their homes. The signs are funny and enlightening at times and overkill other times. I personally choose not to put stickers on my car or home, why do others do so? If you do put a sticker on your car or home, do you think it prevents crime or something else?

If you have a sign on your car have you ever had someone retaliate or vandalize your car?

Kryteon

yardsign[1][1].jpg

Its hard to read but the sign says:

"My Next Door Neighbor wants to BAN all GUNS! Their house is NOT ARMED! Out of RESPECT for their opinions I promise NOT to use MY GUNS to PROTECT THEM."

amlevin

My favorite sign

looking_down_barrel.jpg

Are you sure you want to break in here?

Last edited:

Metalhead47

I must say I am always fascinated by those who have bumper stickers on their cars or stickers on their homes. The signs are funny and enlightening at times and overkill other times. I personally choose not to put stickers on my car or home, why do others do so? If you do put a sticker on your car or home, do you think it prevents crime or something else?

If you have a sign on your car have you ever had someone retaliate or vandalize your car?

Lesse here... I'm a bumper sticker addict. Gotta have em, gotta read em, even when they piss me off :D

I've got a big, easy to read OBAMA SUCKS sticker on my main motorcycle helmet. Get comments on it all the time, overwhelmingly positive. My wife's got the same one on her truck. Some a-hole tried to rip it off, so I put a duplicate on, and added "SO DO LIBERAL COWARDS WHO STEAL MY STICKERS". Then I spraypainted over it with clearcoat. T'aint coming off now icon_mrgreen.gif

My fair-weather beanie helmet has "F--- YOUR OBAMA, I WANT MY REPUBLIC BACK" Lossa good comments on that one too.

Had a bunch on the back of my Samurai, until I cut the back off. :eek:

And the ever-broken 'Burb has "SUBURBAN: ******* OFF TREE-HUGGERS SINCE 1936" Tho I doubt anyone's ever seen it at this point. :cry:

Chalk it up to my passive-aggressive nature. :banana:

kenshin

+1

While I have nothing against people who place stickers or signs on their vehicles or homes, it's just not for me. I don't believe my political/religious/etc. preference should be posted for all to see. This is obviously in reference to all signs/bumper stickers and not just the SAF and SPD ones mentioned in Dave's excellent article.

.45ACPaddy

...I've got a big, easy to read OBAMA SUCKS sticker on my main motorcycle helmet. Get comments on it all the time, overwhelmingly positive. My wife's got the same one on her truck. Some a-hole tried to rip it off, so I put a duplicate on, and added "SO DO LIBERAL COWARDS WHO STEAL MY STICKERS". Then I spraypainted over it with clearcoat. T'aint coming off now View attachment 4672...

Well, I've heard that some people put tiny shards of broken glass on the adhesive, but that might scratch the paint...

Trigger Dr

I like mine the best

Any attempted, unannounced, forced entry will be met with deadly results

bikemutt

We had a group of sales-kids come by a week ago in the 'hood selling home security systems. Working from home with three dogs makes it so paying ADT or whomever for more protection is not something I place a lot of value on. But the kid is working, well dressed and obviously trying to make something of himself, so I listened politely to the pitch. He pointed out I could have a yard sign just like my neighbor (ADT).

Anyway, once he was done I told him I already had a system I was happy with from S&W. Well, it took him a while to connect the dots, but he figured it out and politely moved on.

We both had a good chuckle.

Metalhead47

We had a group of sales-kids come by a week ago in the 'hood selling home security systems. Working from home with three dogs makes it so paying ADT or whomever for more protection is not something I place a lot of value on. But the kid is working, well dressed and obviously trying to make something of himself, so I listened politely to the pitch. He pointed out I could have a yard sign just like my neighbor (ADT).

Anyway, once he was done I told him I already had a system I was happy with from S&W. Well, it took him a while to connect the dots, but he figured it out and politely moved on.

We both had a good chuckle.

LOL Only trouble with that, and value with ADT, et al, is that S&W can't call police or fire if something goes down when you're not home...

CenTex

Any attempted, unannounced, forced entry will be met with deadly results

It reads well, but dummies can't read two and three syllable words. It might help them if you post international signs.

Last edited:

skiingislife725

Might wanna be suspicious of those "security selling" folks...they could be bad bad bad people dressed up well...

Just like those nice magazine sales people who came to my door. The tattoos on the fingers were what gave them away though. And the "Thanks for wasting my time" comment when I didn't want to sign his blank order form he said he needed to "get credit for going door-to-door".

Last edited:

amlevin

Just like those nice magazine sales people who came to my door. The tattoos on the fingers were what gave them away though. And the "Thanks for wasting my time" comment when I didn't want to sign his blank order form he said he needed to "get credit for going door-to-door".

Nice part about where I live is that it is one of a very few cities that don't just use the "Green River Ordinance" approach to door-to-door sales. Under the GRO, cities just require a business license for the "peddlers".

My city has flatly outlawed Door-to Door sales with the exception of Charities, Farmers selling items produced from their own fields (covers the milkman), and Cable TV Co's (seeing as how the city granted them a franchise). Even if there is a business in the city that has a business license, the provisions of the license prohibit any acts that are illegal under another ordinance. Therefore even licensed businesses can't go door to door.

In closing, all too many of these salesmen are just "casing" a neighborhood for future mid-day burglaries. A couple of trips through the block and it's fairly easy to see which homes are unoccupied. According to the local PD, the neighborhoods where there have been "kick in" burglaries have also been visited by the "door knockers".

When the "wandering peddler" shows up at my door selling candy, magazines, carpet cleaning, security, etc, I hand them a copy of the Ordinance. (it is less than one page) I then advise them that if they continue their "rounds" the police will be notified. That is usually the end of the salesmen for the season. The word gets out and they're gone. Had one look at my firearm on my belt and ask me if I was a cop. I just closed the door without answering.

bikemutt

The latest tactic around my 'hood is mail theft: pretty much everyone has a locking mailbox now, what these miscreants do is wait for folks to go to work, then, before mail is delivered, they grab the mail from all the boxes with flags up. So now everyone has to take outgoing mail to the post office.

Anyway, so as not to totally jack the thread, I see where one group of homes that had been hit hard by the mail thieves now posted a sign saying the mailboxes are under 24-hour surveillance.

Crazy world.

boatswain

Bumper stickers are a big deterrent, but not for their messages.

Research shows cars with a lot of bumper stickers are more likely to be involved in road rage incidents. In fact, the number of bumper stickers (not their content) is the #1 most effective way to predict potential road ragers based on a couple of studies.

The shrinks believe it's because bumper stickers function as a territorial marking device for the car. Either that or the people who like bumper stickers are just plain crazy. :rolleyes:

Territorial Markings as a Predictor of Driver Aggression and Road Rage - Journal of Applied Social Psychology

We report 3 studies testing a territorial explanation of aggressive driving. Altman (1975) described attachment to, personalization of, and defense of primary territories (e.g., home) as being greater than for public territories (e.g., sunbathing spot on a beach). Aggressive driving may occur when social norms for defending a primary territory (i.e., one's automobile) become confused with less aggressive norms for defending a public territory (i.e., the road). Both number of territory markers (e.g., bumper stickers, decals) and attachment to the vehicle were significant predictors of aggressive driving. Mere presence of a territory marker predicts increased use of the vehicle to express anger and decreased use of adaptive/constructive expressions.

http://scienceblogs.com/purepedantry/2008/06/road_rage_correlates_with_numb.php

It probably makes sense to avoid cars with bumper stickers as a result.

Last edited:

blackmarine

Lesse here... I'm a bumper sticker addict. Gotta have em, gotta read em, even when they piss me off :D

I've got a big, easy to read OBAMA SUCKS sticker on my main motorcycle helmet. Get comments on it all the time, overwhelmingly positive. My wife's got the same one on her truck. Some a-hole tried to rip it off, so I put a duplicate on, and added "SO DO LIBERAL COWARDS WHO STEAL MY STICKERS". Then I spraypainted over it with clearcoat. T'aint coming off now View attachment 4672

My fair-weather beanie helmet has "F--- YOUR OBAMA, I WANT MY REPUBLIC BACK" Lossa good comments on that one too.

Had a bunch on the back of my Samurai, until I cut the back off. :eek:

And the ever-broken 'Burb has "SUBURBAN: ******* OFF TREE-HUGGERS SINCE 1936" Tho I doubt anyone's ever seen it at this point. :cry:

Chalk it up to my passive-aggressive nature. :banana:

Here here !