• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Concealment Holster for XD Subcompact?

Otto

Was thinking about a Galco SOB for my XD. Anyone have one? Also, any other options for best daily conceal carry would be great.

Thanks,
Otto

REALteach4u

Otto,

I was a SOB guy when I had my Glock 30. An Army Ranger I was stationed with at Ft. Benning woke me up to the issues with SOB carry.

Vehciles and chairs can be a huge problem as you'll have to lean forward to get to it while seated.
If you fall backward, you'll likely fall on that hunk of metal and polymer. Big pain, big bruises.
Holster options get limited, but they can certainly be nice.
If you're wearing a jacket or other cover garment, you may have difficulty getting to it.
Re-holstering tends to be a 2-handed effort.

I wound up going IWB on the hip or appendix, though I still feel comfortable with the SOB carry with the right firearm.

Check out what Crossbreed has to offer before you set yourself on the Galco. If memory serves, there's a Milt Sparks SOB holster out there as well. The Crossbreed Supertuck will give you the flexibility to use it SOB or shift it around on the body as/if you need.

www.crossbreedholsters.com

paknon2wheels

CrossBreed Supertuck

+1 for the CrossBreed Supertuck

Combat cut and Horsehide if you sweat alot or live in a humid climate. :banana:

Last edited:

cbpeck

I carry an XD 40 Subcompact in one of these nearly every day:

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/teheiwb.html

This holster took a bit of initial adjustment, but after a short break in period I'm very pleased with it. I almost never tuck in my shirt over the gun, but its nice to have the option. I requested mine be made rough out with low profile belt clips. The Answer is another excellent option from Tucker, but I prefer the Texas Heritage.

I also have two Galco "Concealable Belt Holsters" (one black & one havana brown) for the same gun. Galco doesn't typically produce this holster for the Subcompact, but for a custom fee they'll modify the 4" version, resulting in a wonderful OWB CC & Open Carry holster for the Subcompact. I found that Galco's custom order holsters were finished noticeably better than their standard production models and even arrived earlier than promised. I've been very happy with these.

I recently discovered that Mitch Rosen produces a holster called the President that is very similar to the Galco Concealable Belt Holster. The President is probably less expensive and more readily available than the Galco custom holsters.

Last edited:

Jonton

I really dig SOB, and it works out quite well for me (I don't swipe my body or other's behind/beside me, like many people are concerned of). I wear a lot of sport coats, and it's convenient when I want something faster than IWB, but not as visible as my Serpa. You'll hear LOTS of concerns of people worrying about falling on their backs and landing on the gun, and the fear of spinal injuries. Keep in mind, the SMALL of back is slightly to the left or right of the spine, not directly over it (that would be MIDDLE of back). It definitely can get uncomfortable while driving or seated for long periods of time, but I've a VERY skinny guy (5'11", 135lbs), so I don't have much weight pressing on it.

However, as for IWB, if you want something cheaper (half the price) and more customizable than the Crossbreed, but just as comfortable, please look into the Kholster (www.kholster.com). It's not quite as 'pretty' as the Crossbreed (it's IWB, nobody will ever see it anyway), but Kholster's policy allows you to cut, stain, or modify the product any way that you choose (there are several videos on youtube demonstrating custom cut styles), and if you mess up or don't like it and want to start over, just send it back and they'll send you a new one, for as long as you own the holster. I've heard a lot of people unhappy with the combat cut on the Crossbreed, so the Kholster allows you to cut as you see fit, and to trim to the exact shape of your gun/hand/draw angle. You particular model of kholster will either be Full Moon or Crescent (I'm unsure of the size of your subcompact's barrel).

I always see dozens of suggestions for Crossbreed, but Kholster is definitely my choice because of both price, and company policy regarding self-modification.

This is a nice thread for me, cause I get to talk about my 2 favorite holsters :p

REALteach4u

I really dig SOB, and it works out quite well for me (I don't swipe my body or other's behind/beside me, like many people are concerned of). I wear a lot of sport coats, and it's convenient when I want something faster than IWB, but not as visible as my Serpa. You'll hear LOTS of concerns of people worrying about falling on their backs and landing on the gun, and the fear of spinal injuries. Keep in mind, the SMALL of back is slightly to the left or right of the spine, not directly over it (that would be MIDDLE of back). It definitely can get uncomfortable while driving or seated for long periods of time, but I've a VERY skinny guy (5'11", 135lbs), so I don't have much weight pressing on it.

However, as for IWB, if you want something cheaper (half the price) and more customizable than the Crossbreed, but just as comfortable, please look into the Kholster (www.kholster.com). It's not quite as 'pretty' as the Crossbreed (it's IWB, nobody will ever see it anyway), but Kholster's policy allows you to cut, stain, or modify the product any way that you choose (there are several videos on youtube demonstrating custom cut styles), and if you mess up or don't like it and want to start over, just send it back and they'll send you a new one, for as long as you own the holster. I've heard a lot of people unhappy with the combat cut on the Crossbreed, so the Kholster allows you to cut as you see fit, and to trim to the exact shape of your gun/hand/draw angle. You particular model of kholster will either be Full Moon or Crescent (I'm unsure of the size of your subcompact's barrel).

I always see dozens of suggestions for Crossbreed, but Kholster is definitely my choice because of both price, and company policy regarding self-modification.

This is a nice thread for me, cause I get to talk about my 2 favorite holsters :p

Got to get this out of my system. Kholster....(Crossbreed knock-off)....GRRR!!!

He's come a long way with his warranty policy to stay competitive. I keep hearing great things about his customer service. But I can honestly say with some products it's like the transferable lifetime warranty on a HighPoint or the lifetime service with a Taurus....it's just necessary because it's an inferior product. Wait a sec before you jump on me....Kholster has come a long way and you MUST applaud his efforts, hopefully he'll be able to stay in business a long while.

My only turn off with Kholster is that the leather seems flimsy and unfinished, like something I would have used to make a vest in the YMCA Indian Guides (yes, I'm that old). They have such a modular design that the flexibility of placement appears excellent.

The ITac holsters are great as well. Didn't someone mention the MTac? They have a great selection, but personally I think you'll be happier with a Crossbreed or...(choking on this)....a Kholster.

If memory serves (check on this):
Crossbreed - 2 week try or return policy, lifetime service...may not cover user mods (contact them to see, mention Kholster covering it if Kholster does)
Kholster - 30 day try or return policy, lifetime service....may cover user mods (contact them to see)

Last edited:

Jonton

Got to get this out of my system. Kholster....(Crossbreed knock-off)....GRRR!!!

He's come a long way with his warranty policy to stay competitive. I keep hearing great things about his customer service. But I can honestly say it's like the transferable lifetime warranty on a HighPoint or the lifetime service with a Taurus....it's just necessary because it's an inferior product. Wait a sec before you jump on me....Kholster has come a long way and you MUST applaud his efforts, hopefully he'll be able to stay in business a long while.

My only turn off with Kholster is that the leather seems flimsy and unfinished, like something I would have used to make a vest in the YMCA Indian Guides (yes, I'm that old). They have such a modular design that the flexibility of placement appears excellent.

The ITac holsters are great as well. Didn't someone mention the MTac? They have a great selection, but personally I think you'll be happier with a Crossbreed or...(choking on this)....a Kholster.

If memory serves (check on this):
Crossbreed - 2 week try or return policy, lifetime service...may not cover user mods (contact them to see, mention Kholster covering it if Kholster does)
Kholster - 30 day try or return policy, lifetime service....may cover user mods (contact them to see)

I'm glad that you're able to put your bias aside and explain the facts. Really, I respect that. Thank you.

Yes, the kholster is ridiculously lightweight, and the leather may feel 'flimsy', but being made of such raw materials (kydex, some metal clips, a couple screws/bolts, and hide) helps keep it simple and affordable to allow customers to keep sending the product back if they 'mess up' their own modifications. it also keeps it very lightweight and comfortable. since it is not stained or finished in any way, you do not risk dye rub-off on clothing, or flaking/cracking of finish. and the kydex is VERY secure to the leather.

it is made with the rough side against your body, which is very soft and comfortable against the skin and grips clothing and underwear a bit better to keep things from shifting around. and with the smooth side against the gun, it does not wear the finish. i brag about these things, but i believe crossbreed follows the same process (for twice the price, mind you).

I do want to make a couple corrections to your post though. It is a 90 day unconditional return policy, rather than a 30. and here is the rest of the policy information quoted from the site:

"No Strings Guarantee & Warranty

90 DAY UNCONDITIONAL NO STRINGS GUARANTEE
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for ANY reason, return it to us and we will fix it or refund the purchase price, which ever YOU prefer. All you pay is the shipping.

No strings attached. No kidding. Really.

Contact us at 877-Kholster (877-546-5783) or support@kholster.com

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
No legal speak here; just simple talk. If your Kholster ever breaks due to a failure of the materials or craftsmanship, we will fix or replace it free of charge. Just return it to us with a note describing the problem and we will take it from there. Your Kholster will be fixed or replaced promptly so you don’t be without it for long. IMPORTANT: Any modifications you make to your Kholster DO NOT void your warranty! So do what you want to make it fit your style. If the Leather, Kydex, Clips, or Hardware ever fail, we'll fix it for free.

No strings attached. No kidding. Really."

While you may be correct in the sense that they HAVE to maintain such a lenient policy in order to stay in or ahead of the competition, this does not mean their product is any less valuable.

REALteach4u

No worries J. I support Missouri businesses, even if they compete with those I support. I also edited my post so it doesn't appear to lump in Kholster with Taurus and HighPoint. (I sure do miss the Taurus revolvers from prior to the Rossi buy-out)

When did it go to 90 days? Last I recall...and it's been a long while, it was 30 days...could be wrong though, it's been a long while after all.

I've not heard a single complaint about Kholster once customers have their products....NOT ONE! To an avid Crossbreed user like myself, that makes me want to try one out since I've tried to get Crossbreed to go modular on just the kydex. Of course Crossbreed hasn't had any complaints that I know of since they got away from the original plastic clips a couple of years ago.

Now I have to personally get a question answered and it might answer the same for others. Crossbreed stresses that their holster MUST be worn over that 2 week trial period to help it break-in and shape to the body for a more comfortable fit. Knowing the Kholster has an unfinished leather backing, how much of a shaping or break in is there and just what does sweating on that leather do to it....Crossbreed leather softens up, so one might think a softer leather would react the same.

Those two companies were scapegoated because of their garbage (I was proven that issue with the HighPoint and I've helped quite a few folks handle Taurus problems). It wasn't a fair comparison....I can admit that and my intent wasn't to lump Kholster in with them.

Oh, we forgot two things....the websites of the two!

www.kholster.com

Even though I'm a Crossbreed guy, if you're considering the Kholster....they have a referral/rebate program.
http://www.kholster.com/referral_program.htm

They also have a Kholster Party option. And if you watch the site closely, you may find a sweet sale from time to time.

J.,
Any chance you might know if Jimmy would be willing to let some of his kydex get shipped out for duracoat after shaping? That might be another option that will give him a really unique aspect. I think he's got a MissouriCarry.com member that does duracoat in his area.

Last edited:

Jonton

Now I have to personally get a question answered and it might answer the same for others. Crossbreed stresses that their holster MUST be worn over that 2 week trial period to help it break-in and shape to the body for a more comfortable fit. Knowing the Kholster has an unfinished leather backing, how much of a shaping or break in is there and just what does sweating on that leather do to it....Crossbreed leather softens up, so one might think a softer leather would react the same.

Any chance you might know if Jimmy would be willing to let some of his kydex get shipped out for duracoat after shaping? That might be another option that will give him a really unique aspect. I think he's got a MissouriCarry.com member that does duracoat in his area.

I wore my Kholster empty for about 5 hours each day for 2-3 days (which I was waiting on my CHP in the mail), and then another few days for a few hours each day with my Glock (approximately 24-30 hours total wear-time). In those first couple days, the holster took a very comfortable curve to my body, and then another few days of wear with the Glock to take an imprint of the gun. I'm not really sure what a 'good wear' is supposed to look like, as I'm sure it'll continue to wear for years and years until it slightly resembled a large slab of sliced bacon. But my definition of 'good wear' is that it automatically adjusts to the shape of my body and the gun without and fussing or tugging/pulling to get it to sit right. I'm sure after 2 weeks it was more ideal than it was after a few days, but nonetheless, a few days is all it took to get cozy with me and it's firearm counterpart.

As for the duracoat question, you got me. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to order the Kholster as is, then rip it apart and ship the kydex to a duacoat guy, then send the completed kydex and piece of leather back to jimmy to reassemble, as this seems like part of the 'no questions asked' modification repair deal. I don't know if Jimmy would send the kydex out himself or not, as I'm not quite sure which route you were inquiring about.

Oh, and folks, regarding the 'sweet sales' that come about every now and then, for 9/11 remembrance (which $1 of each purchase went to the 9/11 firefighter fund) he ran a 3 day sale at the price of $39.11 shipped. For Black Friday only, he had them up for $35 shipped. I bought mine during the 9/11 remembrance, and his estimated back-order time was 2-3 weeks. Mine was on my doorstep not even 76 hours after hitting the purchase button.

All-in-all, a great 1 man company, great products, great shipping/turnaround time. No complaints whatsoever.

Oh, one thing that I wanted to mention about Crossbreed. I'm not a religious person by any means, and the little crosses cut out of the clips on the Crossbreed not only draw unnecessary attention to what I'm wearing on my belt, but I don't want them to signify something that I don't spiritually represent (even though part of the company's message is "...the larger meaning behind his company’s name references the Lord Jesus Christ and His sacrifice upon the cross which was made for all mankind."). It's a small nitpick, but it was definitely on the top 3 determining factors (other 2 being price, and customization policy). Not mentioned to offend, and I fully support anyone's religious practices, it just isn't my intention to 'sport' such representation without standing by its 'larger meaning'

Jonton

Wow!!! I feel like I just read the script for a half hour Kholster infomercial. :uhoh:

I've worked in high-end retail (professional photographic equipment) for way too long. Salesmanship is in my blood. Especially when it's a product that I actually stand by, that I don't feel has been glorified enough in forums like there :p

Again, absolutely nothing against CrossBreed, but when I consider purchasing a product that may one day assist in saving my life, I research it to no end. So my responses to this thread was simply sharing my research and experience to try to give this small 1-man company the equal footing he deserves.

buster81

Well, I can't comment on SOB because I would never do it. Try falling backwards onto something hard against your spine. No thanks.

As far as IWB, I'll second the Supertuck. I've been using one for about a year now (horsehide and combat cut) and carry it in the summer against my skin with no problems. I carry regularily in Florida in the summer where it gets a little humid. It sits just right and is super comfortable. There are some others that make a similar holster but I had a very good experience with Crossbread so I can recommend them.

Super Trucker

No worries J. I support Missouri businesses, even if they compete with those I support. I also edited my post so it doesn't appear to lump in Kholster with Taurus and HighPoint. (I sure do miss the Taurus revolvers from prior to the Rossi buy-out)

When did it go to 90 days? Last I recall...and it's been a long while, it was 30 days...could be wrong though, it's been a long while after all.

I've not heard a single complaint about Kholster once customers have their products....NOT ONE! To an avid Crossbreed user like myself, that makes me want to try one out since I've tried to get Crossbreed to go modular on just the kydex. Of course Crossbreed hasn't had any complaints that I know of since they got away from the original plastic clips a couple of years ago.

Those two companies were scapegoated because of their garbage (I was proven that issue with the HighPoint and I've helped quite a few folks handle Taurus problems). It wasn't a fair comparison....I can admit that and my intent wasn't to lump Kholster in with them.

Oh, we forgot two things....the websites of the two!

www.kholster.com

Even though I'm a Crossbreed guy, if you're considering the Kholster....they have a referral/rebate program.
http://www.kholster.com/referral_program.htm

They also have a Kholster Party option. And if you watch the site closely, you may find a sweet sale from time to time.

J.,

In your last post you said Grrrr about the kHolster being a knock off. Are you aware that cross breed is also a knock off?
The original holster of that type was/is made by Tucker gun Leather and is called The Answer.
Just sayin a copy is a copy.

The original holster can be found here.
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html

paknon2wheels

In your last post you said Grrrr about the kHolster being a knock off. Are you aware that cross breed is also a knock off?
The original holster of that type was/is made by Tucker gun Leather and is called The Answer.
Just sayin a copy is a copy.

The original holster can be found here.
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html

Cite please?

Unless you can cite to the contrary, Mark (CrossBreed) claims to have the patents. Unless there is some other way of determining origin that I'm unaware of, I believe the person who has the patent would be accredited with the original product design.

I quickly looked over the site you linked to and don't see any patents pending on any product. Maybe I just missed it?

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I fashioned this from a standard XD Serpa CQC (BTCA). The holster can be shortened to be flush with the XDSC without altering the retention mechanism. This makes the holster more concealable and considerable more comfortable to wear while driving.

Attachments

• DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 11,066
Last edited:

cbpeck

I fashioned this from a standard XD Serpa CQC (BTCA). The holster can be shortened to be flush with the XDSC without altering the retention mechanism. This makes the holster more concealable and considerable more comfortable to wear while driving.

Very nice job. Doesn't look like anybody would ever know it wasn't made for a SC.