• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like the General Assembly may be getting the message

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is an interesting prefile.
That recognizes that a firearm is an essential part of a household like silverware or tools of the trade.

HB 1422 Homestead exemptions; adds one family firearm, not to exceed $3,000 value, to list of exemptions.
David B. Albo | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box Summary as introduced:
Homestead exemptions. Adds one family firearm, not to exceed $3,000 in value, to the list of items that every householder shall be entitled to hold exempt from creditor process. Full text:
10/25/10 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/12/11 11100502D pdf

10/25/10 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/12/11 11100502D
10/25/10 House: Committee Referral Pending

Even more amazing is this is coming from up North.

Last edited:

TFred

I've read that firearms are the only personal property mentioned in the US Constitution. If that is indeed true, then this legislation and general line of thought are long overdue.

How could a piece of property that is the only thing the Founding Fathers saw fit to guarantee you in writing be deemed anything other than essential?

In today's "entitlement society", it's interesting to think about where the logical conclusion to this line of thought might end.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well that's what worries me. Since when have we loved anything from Dave Albo?

What would be Albo's motivation in this bill other than RE-election? Doesn't he rule from a safe district?

That's why I added
Even more amazing is this is coming from up North.

I'd like to know the background too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here is the Delegate's reasoning:

In Bankruptcy you may either use the Federal Exemptions or the State Exemptions.
In Virginia, we use the State Exemptions.

"I am not a fan of Bankruptcy. It's legalized stealing...but some people came to me and asked me to add a recent addition to the Federal Exemptions, to Virginia's. That is the Firearm Exemption"

I am not a gun person so I made it a little stricter. My Bill calls for a family firearm, not just any firearm." It would be something handed down from your Father or Grandfather and not something you just buy."
There you have it!:banghead:

Last edited:

USNA69

Hmmmm .... I can't think of a better way for the gummint to compile a list of gun owners than to pay them to divulge their gun ownership.

Devilishly simple and quite clever.

TFred

Interesting. From the link in the OP, the added line to the list of already exempt items is:

4b. One family firearm, not to exceed $3,000 in value.

There is no definition within the bill of "family firearm". I couldn't find any definition in the Code of Virginia.

Seems simple enough to me to amend the bill in committee to just remove the word "family".

Seems that self-defense and especially hunting are two completely legitimate firearm needs that a family would have, even if they are in bankruptcy.

TFred

architect

"Family firearm," like "family car," or "family home." One per family, not one per family member. So when the creditors come serving (papers), which do you get to keep, Dad's M1, Mom's Sig, Junior's Bushmaster, or little Sis's Barrett (oops, watch that $3K limit)?

45acpForMe

Interesting. From the link in the OP, the added line to the list of already exempt items is:

4b. One family firearm, not to exceed $3,000 in value.

There is no definition within the bill of "family firearm". I couldn't find any definition in the Code of Virginia.

Seems simple enough to me to amend the bill in committee to just remove the word "family".

Seems that self-defense and especially hunting are two completely legitimate firearm needs that a family would have, even if they are in bankruptcy.

TFred

+1

Where did they pull the $3000 from? ( a dark dark place? ) What if I want to leave my Barrett 50BMG to my kids? If you think about it you should be able to keep one pistol AND one rifle since it is hard to carry a rifle around for self defense and hard to hunt with a pistol.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Here is the Delegate's reasoning:

There you have it!:banghead:

So there it is! Definately a need to get some wording changed before it sees the light of day on the floor.

My reading was along the lines of one firearm for the entire family, as opposed to a firearm for each member of the family eligible to own/posses one.

It is instructive to see that while Albo believes bankruptcy is "stealing" he was willing to put this forward at the urging of a constituent. Real sense of values there!

stay safe.

Dreamer

It's no wonder Mr. Albo thinks bankruptcy filings are tantamount to theft. They are, in fact, stealing money from his portfolio...

http://www.vpap.org/candidates/profile/sei/securities/5317?year=2009

He has major investments in Medco Health Systems, a major healthcare company, that provides clinically-driven pharmacy services to hospitals and clinics. Bankruptcies caused by excessive medical costs would definitely impact Mr. Albo's portfolio...

He also has major assets in several Smith Barney KAUBX Accounts, which has in its distribution several pharmaceutical and health care companies, and MasterCard.

Also in his portfolio is another SmithBarney instrument known as OGLUVX. This is sa JPMorgan Short Duration Bond, based almost entirely in T-Bills. Anyone who known anything at all abotu JP Morgan should find it mildly ironic that someone who has several tens of thousands of dollars invested with JPM would point fingers at ANYONE for "theft" with regards to financial distress... Glass houses, Mr. Albo, glass houses...

And this is just a superficial analysis I knocked out in about 10 minutes. I'm sure a more in-depth analysis would turn up even more of the same--heavy investments in Pharma, Health Care, Credit Card companies, large international banking, etc, etc, etc...

I just find it a little ironic that someone with the attitude that "bankruptcy = theft" would also be heavily invested in businesses that are some of the major causes of bankruptcy among middle-class people, due to corporate malfeasance, criminal negligence, gross disregard for human life and health, and opportunistic overcharging for services.

Mr. Albo also is a principle partner in a NoVa law firm that specializes in traffic law, while at the same time, supporting large surcharges for felony and misdemeanor level driving convictions in 2007 as a legislator.

He is also Chairman of the VA State Crime Commission, while his law firm specializes in traffic law, Employment law, and government contracting law...

Perhaps Mr. Alba would do well to also invest in Anderson Windows company, as a hedge against his own actions... ;)

Follow the Money folks.

Dollar signs always point toward the truth...

Last edited:

Lawyer with a Gun

Good morning. First, an introduction: I've been a long time lurker, but decided I could (hopefully) be more useful joining than watching from the side.

Second, I'm a licensed attorney practicing, among other things, bankruptcy.

Finally, there is a group of attorneys that is pushing to change Virginia's exemptions laws to allow people to protect more property in the event of a bankruptcy. One of those changes was an unlimited value exemption for any one firearm (no "family firearm" limitation).

Now, I wasn't directly involved in the drafting/proposing of the bill, nor in the meetings with elected representatives, so I can't speak for either the group or speak to what happened at the meeting. However, based on what the attendees reported, my gut feeling is that once he saw the bill as a whole, he decided to isolate the firearm exemption and submit it as a separate bill. In my opinion, this would water down the gun exemption (reducing its usefulness) while also ensuring that any gun-rights support would not translate into support for the more general exemptions bill.

Just my two cents based on observation.

The Wolfhound

+1

Where did they pull the $3000 from? ( a dark dark place? ) What if I want to leave my Barrett 50BMG to my kids? If you think about it you should be able to keep one pistol AND one rifle since it is hard to carry a rifle around for self defense and hard to hunt with a pistol.

Why exclude shotguns? In much of Virginia you are prohibited from (Deer, Bear or Turkey) hunting with a rifle. If protecting the ability to hunt is in any way addressed in intent, it should be 1 handgun, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good morning. First, an introduction: I've been a long time lurker, but decided I could (hopefully) be more useful joining than watching from the side.

Welcome aboard LG - learned council/insight is always appreciated.

Observing your screen name, I have to ask - have you ever thought about running for public office? Presuming that your personal convictions are consistent with that image. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Finally, there is a group of attorneys that is pushing to change Virginia's exemptions laws to allow people to protect more property in the event of a bankruptcy. One of those changes was an unlimited value exemption for any one firearm (no "family firearm" limitation).

Now, I wasn't directly involved in the drafting/proposing of the bill, nor in the meetings with elected representatives, so I can't speak for either the group or speak to what happened at the meeting. However, based on what the attendees reported, my gut feeling is that once he saw the bill as a whole, he decided to isolate the firearm exemption and submit it as a separate bill. In my opinion, this would water down the gun exemption (reducing its usefulness) while also ensuring that any gun-rights support would not translate into support for the more general exemptions bill.

Just my two cents based on observation.

Welcome to the forum!

Am I reading it correctly that Albo was originally involved with your group?

This was the only prefiled bill I saw on the subject. Will your group introduce another?:)