• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like the General Assembly may be getting the message

45acpForMe

Why exclude shotguns? In much of Virginia you are prohibited from (Deer, Bear or Turkey) hunting with a rifle. If protecting the ability to hunt is in any way addressed in intent, it should be 1 handgun, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun.

You got me there. I was starting from their bad premise that you should only be able to keep one. I tried to think of which "one" I would keep and had trouble. Heck I vote for "excepting" all guns from bankruptcy!

Lawyer with a Gun

Thanks for the welcome!

45ACPforMe: I suspect you're right as to how they came up with the $3k. What I find curious is that it's more than the amount allowed for clothing ($1k) or a vehicle ($2k). Link. There is a separate Homestead exemption for up to $5k that we now use for firearms.

Grapeshot: Interesting that you mention public office. I actually became managing and lead partner in our firm (4 attorneys) so that the founder could prepare a run for public office. I've been making good use of my time educating him on gun rights issues and even taking him to the range with me. I also carry in the office, so I'm hopefully creating a staff of believers as well.

Peter Nap: This group is really a loose knit group of debtor's attorneys. The bill was drafted and discussed on an online group, and then they went looking for a sponsor. Albo was approached, but declined.

Once we get a sponsor, it will be introduced with the broader provision (one handgun, rifle or shotgun; no limit on value). This exemption, just like most other exemptions, is per householder. So, if one spouse is filing for bankruptcy, and the guns belong to the other, there is no need to list them as property. If both spouses are filing, the proposed legislation would protect one firearm per filer and we would have to use the Homestead exemption (§34-4) for the rest.

Since this bill will expand property exemptions, you can imagine it will face heavy opposition from the banking and lending industry. This is why I think Albo split the firearm provision from it.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Of course, changing the homestead exemption from $5,000 to something more realistic, like $100,000, would be a plus. I remember when one could buy a house in Virginia for five thousand dollars, but that was a long time ago.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Of course, changing the homestead exemption from $5,000 to something more realistic, like $100,000, would be a plus. I remember when one could buy a house in Virginia for five thousand dollars, but that was a long time ago.

Not that long ago, thank you! :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape, are you saying you remember buying houses for $5,000??

:p

$5,000 home might have been a small, fixer-upper, but yes such were available.

How Much things cost in 1956
Yearly Inflation RateUSA 1.52%
Average Cost of new house $11.700.00
Average Monthly Rent $88.00
Average Yearly Wages $4.450.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 22 cents
Average Cost of a new car $2,050.00
Ground Coffee per LB 85 Cents
http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1956.html

And the price of a nice new gun - you don't even want to ask.

I graduated HS in '56, so I was there when things were just a little bit different. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
$5,000 home might have been a small, fixer-upper, but yes such were available.

How Much things cost in 1956
Yearly Inflation RateUSA 1.52%
Average Cost of new house $11.700.00
Average Monthly Rent $88.00
Average Yearly Wages $4.450.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 22 cents
Average Cost of a new car $2,050.00
Ground Coffee per LB 85 Cents
http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1956.html

And the price of a nice new gun - you don't even want to ask.

I graduated HS in '56, so I was there when things were just a little bit different. :lol:

You have a couple of years on me Grape but I remember houses for 10,000.00.

My first house was only a few years old and in good shape in a good (soon to be over crowded) neighborhood.
it was $25,000.00. My mortgage payments were less than $200.00 a month.

Then the boom started. I sold that house 5 years later for $55,000.00 and after selling some low rent apartment I owned in Richmond, paid cash for my next home.

Repeater

Alternate bill: HB1471

Interesting. From the link in the OP, the added line to the list of already exempt items is:

4b. One family firearm, not to exceed $3,000 in value.

There is no definition within the bill of "family firearm". I couldn't find any definition in the Code of Virginia.

Seems simple enough to me to amend the bill in committee to just remove the word "family".

Seems that self-defense and especially hunting are two completely legitimate firearm needs that a family would have, even if they are in bankruptcy.

TFred

There is now an alternate bill, HB1471 from Delegate Cole:

9. One firearm per householder for household use.

10. School books of the householder.

11. Personal effects and furniture that are exclusively used by a dependent who is a minor, disabled, or 65 years of age or older.

12. Educational materials and educational equipment that are used by a dependent who is a minor.

13. Payments pursuant to the federal child tax credit under 26 U.S.C. § 24, as amended, and the federal earned income credit under 26 U.S.C. § 32, as amended.