• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can You Open Carry While Travelling?

rodbender

Sec.46.02 UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.
(a)A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun

Sec. 46.02(a) of the Texas penal Code says it is illegal to carry a handgun.

Sec.46.15 NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b)Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(2)is traveling;

Sec. 46.15(b)(2) says that 46.02 does not apply if one is traveling.

But, does the next part kill that part of 46.15 for CHL holders?

Sec.46.035 UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a)A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder ’s person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

Just a thought.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
I say yes..

And I'll continue to OC when traveling I back up what I'm saying here with action.

The law is plain to me, if your traveling your good to go, and not carrying under the authority of the CHP.

the only thing is the Traveling is not defined. It's clear to anyone that I am traveling with my VA License Plates and VA License They cant argue that point with me.

so...

I just went all the way across texas while OC..

I didn't have any issues that time, Will do it again soon and keep yall posted.

Of course you will get the usual "Hand Wringers" that will tell you no..you must not!

rodbender

I say yes..

And I'll continue to OC when traveling I back up what I'm saying here with action.

The law is plain to me, if your traveling your good to go, and not carrying under the authority of the CHP.

the only thing is the Traveling is not defined. It's clear to anyone that I am traveling with my VA License Plates and VA License They cant argue that point with me.

so...

I just went all the way across texas while OC..

I didn't have any issues that time, Will do it again soon and keep yall posted.

Of course you will get the usual "Hand Wringers" that will tell you no..you must not!

I was actually referring to Texas residents with a CHL.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
per the statutes, it does indeed deny open carrying while traveling if you are carrying with a CHL, however, if you are going to travel, you don't need to carry your CHL. Then again, there are places that are off limits to anyone who isn't licensed, so pick your poison.

ScottDLS

The LEO will find out you have a CHL as soon as he runs your DL.

It doesn't matter, because if you don't have it on you, you aren't carrying "under the authority of (CHL)". You're traveling.

I think you can also argue that even if you do have it on you, you're not carrying under its (CHL) authority. Just like a Peace Officer open carrying, who happens to have a CHL, isn't violating 46.035.

nonameisgood

PC46.02(a)(2)(a-1)(1) prohibits handguns in plain view in vehicles.

PC46.15 (b)(2) says PC46.02 does not apply "while traveling."

So my plain language reading is that, unless someone is otherwise prohibited from carrying a handgun in a place, they may carry it while traveling. That said, there are prohibitions which may apply (where on-premise alcohol is served, school zones, etc.)

Traveling without significant deviation from route was required under the old laws. After you check into a hotel for the night, you have established a home-away-from-home and are no longer traveling. YMMV

Also, you will be relying on local PD accepting your interpretation, which is contrary to longstanding Texas law. (for 100 years before the changes in 2005). Dallas area PD were convinced that the 2005 law would result in the inability to prosecute all persons for carrying a handgun.

The laws are fragmented and poorly written.

rushcreek2

WHEN TRAVELING in Texas you do not need a CHL because carrying under the authority of the CHL is an exception provision to 46.02 which does not apply to a person WHEN TRAVELING.

Logical extentions of traveling status could be a road-side pit stop for FIDO, fueling AT THE PUMP, ACCESSING rest area restroom facilities or a motel room. These are a few of the OC opportunities that I practice regularly. I'm sure there are many more possibilities.

rodbender

noname and rush, you haven't addressed the OP question. You wandered off to left field somewhere.

rush, can you show me where it says that CHL is an exemption to 46.02. I can't find it.

rushcreek2

noname and rush, you haven't addressed the OP question. You wandered off to left field somewhere.

rush, can you show me where it says that CHL is an exemption to 46.02. I can't find it.

YES, you can legally open carry WHILE TRAVELING in Texas. The requirement to conceal a handgun while inside your vehicle under the 2007 provision added to 46.02 does not apply WHEN TRAVELING. That having been said a holstered handgun in plain view has the potential for issues and obstacles.

There really should be no conflict between WHEN TRAVELING and keeping a handgun out of plain view while inside the vehicle unless it's on top of the dash or being brandished in some manner. I am OC (uncovered) while behind the wheel but it is not in plain view unless you happen to be riding shotgun next to me.

46.15 (b) (6) (provides that) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code......................

I think much confusion originates from the "heads -or-tails" approach to concealment vs display. In my own IWB manner of carry the " coin" is more often than not standing on its edge.

dedeye

YES, you can legally open carry WHILE TRAVELING in Texas. The requirement to conceal a handgun while inside your vehicle under the 2007 provision added to 46.02 does not apply WHEN TRAVELING. That having been said a holstered handgun in plain view has the potential for issues and obstacles.

There really should be no conflict between WHEN TRAVELING and keeping a handgun out of plain view while inside the vehicle unless it's on top of the dash or being brandished in some manner. I am OC (uncovered) while behind the wheel but it is not in plain view unless you happen to be riding shotgun next to me.

46.15 (b) (6) (provides that) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code......................

I think much confusion originates from the "heads -or-tails" approach to concealment vs display. In my own IWB manner of carry the " coin" is more often than not standing on its edge.

Being as there is No OC in Texas, I'll wait till you guys get the kinks worked out before i try it!

dedeye

Being fresh out of CHL for Texas here is what we were told.
If you are Traveling without a CHL Have a packed bag(clothes,toothbrush,razor, etc)
and it is upto the state to prove you are not traveling. no mention of OC while traveling was mentioned, my understanding is if you have a gun in the car with or without a CHL the gun must be out of sight at all times.

rodbender

OK, plain english. Does the part of 46.15 that I posted override the part of 46.035 that I posted or does the part of 46.035 override the part of 46.15 that I posted? I know about vehicle carry and all that. I was wondering about the conflict. Do you think there is one. I do. It seems that if you do not have a CHL, you can open carry while travelling. If you do have one, you cannot.

rushcreek2

There are many facets to this handgun issue in Texas - not the least of which is the recent Supreme Court decision in McDonald v Chicago which essentially held that whether its Washington D.C., Chicago, OR TEXAS - the "quintessential handgun" may no longer be excluded from the right to bear arms.

A person can legally walk down Main St in Texas with a .30/.30 in one hand and a 12 gauge in the other - but if that already visibly armed person is also carrying a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411 of the Government Code - and they intentionally fail to conceal it -they are in violation of 46.035 (a).

This is as plain English as I can muster. Since you DO NOT NEED a CHL WHEN TRAVELING in Texas, you are NOT CARRYING UNDER THE AUTHORITY of Subchapter H, Chapter 411. The primary function of the CHL is to establish exemption from 46.02. WHEN TRAVELING you already have exemption from 46.02.

Since the time honored TRAVELING exemption pre-dates the CHL exemption by 123 years , it has been enhanced but not eclipsed by the CHL, it still stands on its own independent of the CHL. I would still want to have a CHL - even when traveling - but if you opt to carry under CHL authority while enroute then apparently you may not INTENTIONALLY fail to conceal.

Some further tweeking may be in order, RODBENDER. Not to suggest that a traveler MUST CHOOSE their handgun carry under either "WHEN TRAVELING" option - or CHL AUTHORITY option before embarking upon a journey in Texas. Obviously some degree of DISCRETION and SELECTIVITY regarding location/circumstances should be applied to any display. I feel that this is also a valid concern even when I am traveling through New Mexico and Colorado. When traveling through any State I would be mindful of school zones ,and sensitivity to the local-yokal index. I suggest a well thought out "flight plan". My main goals when opting to display under current Texas law WHEN TRAVELING is my safety, and perhaps introducing the public square to a brief glimpse of LEGAL handgun carry.

Last edited:

KBCraig

PC 46.15(b)(6):

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

This applies to someone with a CHL who is not traveling, of course; that person is still subject to the other restrictions places on those with CHLs, particularly 46.035.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

Sometimes I think the discussion is prone to bogging down with the use of the OC /"open carry" terminology -particularly in regards to the Texas situation. It's probably because in Texas -unlike most other States - the usage of the term "open carry" seems a bit "foreign". Under Texas law prior to the 1996 concealed handgun licensing law it was simply CARRY- period.

The gradual discounting, if not outright disregard for the Texas "traveling rule" by urban law enforcement brought on the need for some concrete certainty in the law that resulted in the concealed handgun license law in 1995. Under traveling, hunting, gun range exceptions you could -and still can carry concealed or in plain view. The CHL was intended to bridge the gap between "home" and any other available 46.02 exception authority. If you are carrying under CHL authority because no other exception authority is available then 46.035 is applicable.

Cowboy_Rick

Yes, you can carry a weapon-even loaded-while traveling, but while in TEXAS it had better be CONCEALED. When stopped the OFFICER should not be able to see the firearm in plain view!

rushcreek2

Yes, you can carry a weapon-even loaded-while traveling, but while in TEXAS it had better be CONCEALED. When stopped the OFFICER should not be able to see the firearm in plain view!

The intent of the "not in plain view" provision is to preclude even the perception of brandishing behavior- primarily towards other motorists in road-rage situations. An LEO at your driver side window during a traffic stop is the equivalent of a "peeping- Tom" at your bedroom window. Now if the handgun is on top of the dash or suspended from the rear view mirror for the world to see - that is a different matter.

It's really OK to apply a measure of logic, common sense, and a reasonable person standard to these laws.

If we are going to adhere to the "letter of the law" - that should include recognition that the 46.02 provision pertaining to inside vehicle concealment (actually the operative term is "not in plain view") DOES NOT APPLY WHEN TRAVELING.

The MPA of 2007 provision provides for handgun carry in one's private vehicle when NOT traveling, and not licensed (CHL). Although this provision of 46.02 is not applicable when taveling or with a CHL - Title 9 section 42.01 (a)(8) Disorderly conduct while displaying a firearm in public with intent to alarm does apply in all circumstances.

Last edited: