Thread: Rosa Parks and Changing the World...

Rosa Parks and Changing the World...

Today marks the 55th anniversary of when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white rider, on December 1, 1955.

http://www.rosaparks.org/

We should remember this brave woman every time we exercise our 2A rights. She was small, frail, and at 42 years old, she was certainly no spring chicken. But she was steadfast in her belief, and stood strong against all sorts of injustice. Her actions changed society.

We, as 2A activists, can only hope that we are even a fraction as noble, dignified, and effective as this tiny, middle-aged woman was...

Last edited by Dreamer; 12-01-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Today marks the 55th anniversary of the day Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the Montgomery, Alabama bus and it seems the remembrance is causing another controversy. Today is also World Aids Day and people are complaining that the Google Doodle commemorating Rosa Parks should have been one bringing attention to AIDs.
    source - full article

back of the bus rosa, google doodle needs to honor aids!
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

mattwestm
    I wish everyone in this country would be a little more like her. Taking a stand against unfair practices, laws, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I wish everyone in this country would be a little more like her. Taking a stand against unfair practices, laws, etc.
    Or the TSA.

Danny

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
    source - full article

back of the bus rosa, google doodle needs to honor aids!
    Lol, good sir.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

Amazingly, that's what Ms. Parks eventually accomplished - the defeat of segregation laws through both repeal and court decree.

I do not think anybody is actually celebrating the fact that Rosa Parks broke a law.

stay safe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Amazingly, that's what Ms. Parks eventually accomplished - the defeat of segregation laws through both repeal and court decree.

I do not think anybody is actually celebrating the fact that Rosa Parks broke a law.

stay safe.
    You can't seperate the two. To condone Rosa means one condones illegal acts as a means to gain standing in court or to justify some end. John has clearly stated this is not welcome on his forum.
    Last edited by kwikrnu; 12-01-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    um yes most people are celebrating that! Ever hear of civil disobedience? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience

I think a reasonable application of the rule will allow us to commemorate Rosa's brave actions. After all, she didn't paint her nose orange so that they would think she was a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    You can't seperate the two. To condone Rosa means one condones illegal acts as a means to gain standing in court or to justify some end. John has clearly stated this is not welcome on his forum.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I think Rosa Parks is a true American hero, I reference her all the time when told by other so called pro gun or pro rights folks, we shouldn't make waves etc. Many times it is action not just words that further our fight for liberty.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I think Rosa Parks is a true American hero, I reference her all the time when told by other so called pro gun or pro rights folks, we shouldn't make waves etc. Many times it is action not just words that further our fight for liberty.
    She is not an american hero. A real american hero would work within the law to accomplish a goal. A real american obeys forum rules. A real american knows that the fight for liberty must only involve court action by those properly vetted and prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    She is not an american hero. A real american hero would work within the law to accomplish a goal. A real american obeys forum rules. A real american knows that the fight for liberty must only involve court action by those properly vetted and prepared.
    Ah, but to work within the law, sometimes you need a test case. While Rosa Parks may not really meet this definition there, to challenge an unconstitutional law one usually cannot just step up and file papers to bring a challenge, one must have standing - such as by being arrested for breaking the law in question.

There's a gray area there between "unjust" and "unconstitutional", though, as there are plenty of examples of applications of law which are unjust yet are also constitutional - if it's noble to be arrested in an attempt to overturn a law which is unconstitutional, why would it not be equally noble to be arrested to overturn a law - or even a way of life (segregationism) - that is unjust?

The first real American heroes were traitors to the perfectly legal rule of the British empire over her colonies; there was little point in taking George III to court.

We are in my opinion definitely following in the footsteps of this great woman.

As great as her bravery was, she was also very modest, and never terribly interested in recognition and show boating. (I know this because she had a conversation with my dad in the 80's, and spent over 15 minutes asking him questions about him and his life before he even figured out who she was) She had a goal she set out to accomplish, and she did so. Martin Luther King Junior was in fact the same way. Indeed the Deacons For Defense and Justice also followed this model of change, and it always worked.

This is why I suggest and practice the idea that we should be perpetually modest as we go about iconoclastically changing the political landscape, crushing paradigms people hold. Being a show off in doing so can easily serve as a detriment to the cause by making OCers look outlandish and even stupid. Being polite and modest worked for civil rights in the 50's and 60's, and it seems to be working for us these days too.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbushBug View Post
    Ah, but to work within the law, sometimes you need a test case. While Rosa Parks may not really meet this definition there, to challenge an unconstitutional law one usually cannot just step up and file papers to bring a challenge, one must have standing - such as by being arrested for breaking the law in question.

There's a gray area there between "unjust" and "unconstitutional", though, as there are plenty of examples of applications of law which are unjust yet are also constitutional - if it's noble to be arrested in an attempt to overturn a law which is unconstitutional, why would it not be equally noble to be arrested to overturn a law - or even a way of life (segregationism) - that is unjust?

The first real American heroes were traitors to the perfectly legal rule of the British empire over her colonies; there was little point in taking George III to court.
    don't encourage him, he does that well enough on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    We are in my opinion definitely following in the footsteps of this great woman.

As great as her bravery was, she was also very modest, and never terribly interested in recognition and show boating. (I know this because she had a conversation with my dad in the 80's, and spent over 15 minutes asking him questions about him and his life before he even figured out who she was) She had a goal she set out to accomplish, and she did so. Martin Luther King Junior was in fact the same way. Indeed the Deacons For Defense and Justice also followed this model of change, and it always worked.

This is why I suggest and practice the idea that we should be perpetually modest as we go about iconoclastically changing the political landscape, crushing paradigms people hold. Being a show off in doing so can easily serve as a detriment to the cause by making OCers look outlandish and even stupid. Being polite and modest worked for civil rights in the 50's and 60's, and it seems to be working for us these days too.
    So you don't want to do the gay rights version and have a half naked parade where we all have at least 2 weapons, not including a bladed one? If we were to do that some exercise and dieting might be in order a bit beforehand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

Everyone should read the article on Rosa Parks linked above before trying the same type thing. One she knew she had backing from a well organized group to support her. Second she was not the first to be arrested for this but the first one was not a vialble public cantidate so they had to have a replacement. Finally her case was not the one that went forward to actually have the laws overturned.

When using the tactics of Rosa Parks one should be very aware of the background before trying it.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

Everyone should read the article on Rosa Parks linked above before trying the same type thing. One she knew she had backing from a well organized group to support her. Second she was not the first to be arrested for this but the first one was not a vialble public cantidate so they had to have a replacement. Finally her case was not the one that went forward to actually have the laws overturned.

When using the tactics of Rosa Parks one should be very aware of the background before trying it.
    I knew of this already, she still took action. And even without a well organized group, I feel action is what is often needed. It does not diminish her place in history and as a fighter for rights in my mind at all.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)