• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rosa Parks and Changing the World...

Dreamer

Today marks the 55th anniversary of when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white rider, on December 1, 1955.

http://www.rosaparks.org/

We should remember this brave woman every time we exercise our 2A rights. She was small, frail, and at 42 years old, she was certainly no spring chicken. But she was steadfast in her belief, and stood strong against all sorts of injustice. Her actions changed society.

We, as 2A activists, can only hope that we are even a fraction as noble, dignified, and effective as this tiny, middle-aged woman was...

USAparksR2.jpg

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

Today marks the 55th anniversary of the day Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the Montgomery, Alabama bus and it seems the remembrance is causing another controversy. Today is also World Aids Day and people are complaining that the Google Doodle commemorating Rosa Parks should have been one bringing attention to AIDs.
source - full article

back of the bus rosa, google doodle needs to honor aids! :banghead:

M

mattwestm

I wish everyone in this country would be a little more like her. Taking a stand against unfair practices, laws, etc.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Amazingly, that's what Ms. Parks eventually accomplished - the defeat of segregation laws through both repeal and court decree.

I do not think anybody is actually celebrating the fact that Rosa Parks broke a law.

stay safe.

kwikrnu

Banned
Amazingly, that's what Ms. Parks eventually accomplished - the defeat of segregation laws through both repeal and court decree.

I do not think anybody is actually celebrating the fact that Rosa Parks broke a law.

stay safe.

You can't seperate the two. To condone Rosa means one condones illegal acts as a means to gain standing in court or to justify some end. John has clearly stated this is not welcome on his forum.

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I think a reasonable application of the rule will allow us to commemorate Rosa's brave actions. After all, she didn't paint her nose orange so that they would think she was a toy.

You can't seperate the two. To condone Rosa means one condones illegal acts as a means to gain standing in court or to justify some end. John has clearly stated this is not welcome on his forum.

sudden valley gunner

I think Rosa Parks is a true American hero, I reference her all the time when told by other so called pro gun or pro rights folks, we shouldn't make waves etc. Many times it is action not just words that further our fight for liberty.

kwikrnu

Banned
I think Rosa Parks is a true American hero, I reference her all the time when told by other so called pro gun or pro rights folks, we shouldn't make waves etc. Many times it is action not just words that further our fight for liberty.

She is not an american hero. A real american hero would work within the law to accomplish a goal. A real american obeys forum rules. A real american knows that the fight for liberty must only involve court action by those properly vetted and prepared.

AmbushBug

She is not an american hero. A real american hero would work within the law to accomplish a goal. A real american obeys forum rules. A real american knows that the fight for liberty must only involve court action by those properly vetted and prepared.

Ah, but to work within the law, sometimes you need a test case. While Rosa Parks may not really meet this definition there, to challenge an unconstitutional law one usually cannot just step up and file papers to bring a challenge, one must have standing - such as by being arrested for breaking the law in question.

There's a gray area there between "unjust" and "unconstitutional", though, as there are plenty of examples of applications of law which are unjust yet are also constitutional - if it's noble to be arrested in an attempt to overturn a law which is unconstitutional, why would it not be equally noble to be arrested to overturn a law - or even a way of life (segregationism) - that is unjust?

The first real American heroes were traitors to the perfectly legal rule of the British empire over her colonies; there was little point in taking George III to court.

Michigander

We are in my opinion definitely following in the footsteps of this great woman.

As great as her bravery was, she was also very modest, and never terribly interested in recognition and show boating. (I know this because she had a conversation with my dad in the 80's, and spent over 15 minutes asking him questions about him and his life before he even figured out who she was) She had a goal she set out to accomplish, and she did so. Martin Luther King Junior was in fact the same way. Indeed the Deacons For Defense and Justice also followed this model of change, and it always worked.

This is why I suggest and practice the idea that we should be perpetually modest as we go about iconoclastically changing the political landscape, crushing paradigms people hold. Being a show off in doing so can easily serve as a detriment to the cause by making OCers look outlandish and even stupid. Being polite and modest worked for civil rights in the 50's and 60's, and it seems to be working for us these days too.

Daylen

Ah, but to work within the law, sometimes you need a test case. While Rosa Parks may not really meet this definition there, to challenge an unconstitutional law one usually cannot just step up and file papers to bring a challenge, one must have standing - such as by being arrested for breaking the law in question.

There's a gray area there between "unjust" and "unconstitutional", though, as there are plenty of examples of applications of law which are unjust yet are also constitutional - if it's noble to be arrested in an attempt to overturn a law which is unconstitutional, why would it not be equally noble to be arrested to overturn a law - or even a way of life (segregationism) - that is unjust?

The first real American heroes were traitors to the perfectly legal rule of the British empire over her colonies; there was little point in taking George III to court.

don't encourage him, he does that well enough on his own.

Daylen

We are in my opinion definitely following in the footsteps of this great woman.

As great as her bravery was, she was also very modest, and never terribly interested in recognition and show boating. (I know this because she had a conversation with my dad in the 80's, and spent over 15 minutes asking him questions about him and his life before he even figured out who she was) She had a goal she set out to accomplish, and she did so. Martin Luther King Junior was in fact the same way. Indeed the Deacons For Defense and Justice also followed this model of change, and it always worked.

This is why I suggest and practice the idea that we should be perpetually modest as we go about iconoclastically changing the political landscape, crushing paradigms people hold. Being a show off in doing so can easily serve as a detriment to the cause by making OCers look outlandish and even stupid. Being polite and modest worked for civil rights in the 50's and 60's, and it seems to be working for us these days too.

So you don't want to do the gay rights version and have a half naked parade where we all have at least 2 weapons, not including a bladed one? If we were to do that some exercise and dieting might be in order a bit beforehand.

PT111

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

Everyone should read the article on Rosa Parks linked above before trying the same type thing. One she knew she had backing from a well organized group to support her. Second she was not the first to be arrested for this but the first one was not a vialble public cantidate so they had to have a replacement. Finally her case was not the one that went forward to actually have the laws overturned.

When using the tactics of Rosa Parks one should be very aware of the background before trying it.

sudden valley gunner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

Everyone should read the article on Rosa Parks linked above before trying the same type thing. One she knew she had backing from a well organized group to support her. Second she was not the first to be arrested for this but the first one was not a vialble public cantidate so they had to have a replacement. Finally her case was not the one that went forward to actually have the laws overturned.

When using the tactics of Rosa Parks one should be very aware of the background before trying it.

I knew of this already, she still took action. And even without a well organized group, I feel action is what is often needed. It does not diminish her place in history and as a fighter for rights in my mind at all.